Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Game of Thrones Spoiler/dork thread

Comments

• Options
    HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well said! The last part about magic as a convenient plot device without explanation is absolutely the mark of a hack in fantasy. That being said, fantasy books and fantasy TV/movies seem to diverge on this point as it seems unforgivable in literature and passable on the screen.

There are a number of these sort of magical devices left dangling out there with both ends loose in the TV series so far and not nearly enough time left to tie them up with a neat bow. I have little hope that GRR Martin will finish the books after the show wraps as well. I wish Patrick Rothfus hadn't shared this page of his playbook...

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beric and Melisandre both died following the end of their usefuleness to the Lord of Light. However, what if his intent is for Jon to rule the Seven Kingdoms? He may end up very healthy and long lived.

• Options
    SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Okay, final predictions time.

Who ends up on the Iron Throne?

My pick: Sansa

• Options

I’m still saying Jon because I think that’s what the Lord of Light wants from him. You can only say you don’t want it so many times before it becomes obvious you’re the best choice for it.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bran has been noticeably calm during everything that has gone on. Obviously because he knows the future. Maybe he’s known he would end up on the throne the whole tome & has just been watching things play out.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

I have to give @Kasey all the credit but,

Jake Skole.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod
  • Options

Gotta say, pretty meh. Maybe I’ll feel differently after I sleep on it.

...and ****, Jon got screwed.

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

Yea. He’s just King Beyond the Wall now.

But what’s the point? The wall is useless now that there isn’t no White Walkers/Night King and they are at peace with the free-folk.

It also has a gaping hole you could sail a battleship through. I honestly am thinking “why is the Night Watch even hanging around?”

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

I think ultimately he got what he wanted. I was satisfied with the ending. Went out with a whimper but oh well

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hot takes:

Wow! Still think the season was lacking in plot compared to what people thought they wanted. But that was a hell of a finale. I’m sure it’s already being picked apart but I’m mostly satisfied.

That being said, the Dany/Jon stuff was pretty ludicrous. And the aftermath really didn’t make any sense but gave Dinklage some good screen time.

The creators are doing a Star Wars movie next and I don’t know if my knowing that colored my view, but I found the Dany/Jon meeting to be very Star Warsy. Not that that’s a bad thing.

I’m watching on Amazon so the whole episode drops at 9, so I’m pausing and seeing the runtime and the extended post show stuff lately makes it hard to figure how much is left in the ep. So several times I thought they might end it and I was going to be disappointed lol.

If Jon was REALLY just gonna hop on a boat and exit stage left...lol. Very epic ending with the three Stark kids going their own way. I loved the Dire Wolf sails on Arya’s ships. Good open ended ending for all 3.

I’m not regretting having watched the show at all and would have kept watching.

I DO wonder if pretty much all George gave them past a certain point was the VERY ending. Because that felt a lot more true to the books/early show than the first half of the episode.

• Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The reason Drogon melted the throne is because it was the throne that ultimately killed Dany. Even he knew she was obsessed with it.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As far as Jon getting screwed, I would have felt the same way without the final shot. For the last 10 minutes I was kinda dreading the very end but the shot of the three Starks fulfilling their destinies worked for me.

Id have liked to have seen more for Jon but it’s true to his character and almost certainly true to how George sees him. He was an unwanted bastard. Now he’ll be in the history books. He’s from the North and was happiest there. With Ygritte and Tormand.

I’m going to guess because Tormand met him and they rolled out that he’s not really going to be in the Nights Watch and have to worry about the celibacy thing. He’s a loner so all he needs is his wolf and maybe a wildling woman. He would have hated being bothered all the time anywhere else.

And Bran could agree to it because he knew that was Jon’s destiny all along.

But yeah, I liked the very last scene.

• Options

My issue is what ultimately changed? Tyrion invented democracy for aristocrats but everyone else is still a serf and the wheel (two now that Bran is ruling) is still unbroken.

The evil people of the moment died and the good triumphed but the point of the show was never character development, it was presumably a macro change to the culture of the world.

Shoot, I was practically rooting for Dany when she was giving her victory speech.

• Options
    SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My only thought for the moment. At what point in the series did they lead you to believe the people would cry, "hey, let's rally behind the crippled guy!"

• Options
    DipDawgDipDawg Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

I feel like Jon is the luckiest man on earth that he didn’t instantly get murdered by the Unsullied after they found out he killed Dany

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Did this series follow the books closely? If so, wasn't it already known who would ascend the throne? Or did the director/producers change the script? I've not watched it since season one so I don't even recall most of the people's names anymore.