Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Julio vs Fedde starting about now.

Like last night our starter has not been good on the road, JT has a 4.45 ERA on the road vs 2.26 at home.

The good news is Fedde has actually been better on the road than at home. He has a 3.95 ERA at home, so it's fairly even whereas last night their starter was close to 3 runs better at home than Keuchel is on the road.

I disagree with a poster on the importance of tonight's game. Lose and we will have lost half our lead in a little over a week's time with 8 more head to head games with Washington still in front of us. These head to head games will likely decide the division winner.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Playing well so far tonight. Always good to see Donaldson, or anyone, hit opposite field homers.

• Options

Now Duvall! Need him with Markakis out and Riley struggling. That’s two HRs in a short time since being called up.

• Options
    edited July 2019

The difference in being 5 up in the loss column and being 3 up at this point in the season is huge. This will be a big win unless the wheels come off. I think it's safe to say signing Donaldson was a good move. Having him batting behind Freddie really makes the front end hard to deal with.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If only someone had been telling y’all Donaldson is a bad man all year. Haha I kid I kid.

He is for sure my favorite guy to watch hit on the team, which is saying something.

• Options

Duvall has been a rally killer his entire career with the .291 OBP. He made some adjustments during his stay in the minors though, so far so good.

• Options

Still probably shouldn’t buy into him against rhp. But he kills lefties, and is a solid corner outfielder.

Think we are in the market for another COF to potentially add here. Markakis would be a good platoon option with him if he can get back to 100% before the season ends.

• Options

Tomorrow is the big day. Hopefully we'll strengthen the team enough to not just win the division but contend with The Dodgers in postseason.

• Options

We just got a reliever from Texas. First thoughts are that it feels like kind of an overpay for him,industry must be super down on Allard.

But then again I don’t know much about Chris Martin

• Options

Martin hasn't been much till this season but he has some positive stats so far this season.

He has a 3.08 ERA and very importantly he has given up just 4 walks over 38 innings while striking out 44. Those numbers are key when inheriting base runners. That is a big hidden stat for middle relievers.

• Options
  • Options

Hopefully the adjustments he made in the minors will keep paying off.. so far so very good.

• Options
    IwantburchIwantburch Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Y’all rather have markakis or Duvalls bat in the lineup?

• Options
  • Options

Markakis unless Duvall proves over a period of time he's a different hitter than he's been his whole career. If he was good at hitting lefties it would make sense to platoon them with Duvall playing the roughly 25% of games where we face a left handed starter.

Fact is Duvall has only gotten on base against lefties at a decent percentage 1 season (2017). He's been mostly a rally killer from either side of the plate. I'll wait and see but hitters usually don't change radically this late in their careers, but it does happen.

• Options
    brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who do you guys think we land tmr?

• Options
    643DP643DP Posts: 55 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hopefully someone for the pen.

• Options

We got a replacement for Sobotka tonight. We need a closer but so does half of MLB. It's only a good move if he's a clear upgrade from Jackson. My ultimate prize would be Giants starter Madison Bumgarner. I think it's highly unlikely we can beat The Dodgers without a shut down playoff starter. Bumgarner has been the best postseason starter over the past 10 years in my opinion and he's back pitcher like a top of the rotation guy now. That said, I don't see how moving him is in The Giants' best interest. They are playing great right now and going into tonight's games they were just 3 games off the pace for a wildcard spot.

• Options

Maybe time for you to consider my (and many others) thoughts of “closers are for dummies”. If we can just have like 5 actual good bullpen arms we can piece the ends of games together, no need to have a guy who pitches every 9th inning.

In general the highest leverage situations can come up in any inning and that’s when I want our best arms going, not arbitrarily just saving them for a save situation. But then again knowing snit and how he maintains kind of classic roles, I am sure he will put someone in that role anyway.

Ive kind of maintained all week that I think it’s more likely we get 2 or 3 bp arms that are upgrades than it is we get an ace closer type.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,976 mod

Mariano Rivera is the only closer. Everyone else just saves games

This discussion has been closed.