Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Carter Stewart signing in Japan- a new trend or just an anomaly?

BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hard to figure what this will lead to in baseball, but it is an interesting development. Teams that go over their signing bonus allotments can lose draft picks, so it's not like giving Stewart the $5 million he was seeking was much of an option. The same will be true for other teams. It also doesn't make sense to blow out the bank for a baseball prospect the way the NFL does on high draft picks. The bust rate is exponentially higher in baseball.

I personally think we will see more players sign to play in Japan, but I don't think MLB teams will counter with huge contracts to prevent their loss.

Did the Braves err in not signing Carter? I don't think so.

Comments

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

I don’t think it’s an anomaly, but I don’t think it will be a trend either. If that makes sense. He gets his money, but it’s a long play that is too risky for the player. Scott Boras is the poster boy for how greed spoils sports.

Off topic slightly but...baseball it’s so bloated from top to bottom it’s watered down the talent pool and weakened the product. Way too many overpaid players, too many leagues, too many games, etc. if the number of players allowed, and the number of games played, was reduced by 30 percent the game would be better off.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree the talent pool might be reduced, but OTOH, we now have players from just about everywhere - supposedly the best of the best. When we had only 16 teams, the cream of the crop was likely the very best but with 32 teams (or however many we have now) and drawing from the whole world like baseball now does, I wonder just how diluted the talent pool is. Rule changes make it hard for me to compare eras.