Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Oh, Boy. What A National Day Lineup Today.

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited June 2019 in Off Topic

Such variety, it's hard to know where to start. Nevertheless:

National Ice Cream Soda Day. Since we had National Black Cow Day just recently, this can be a tip of the cap to diversity. Lots of flavors of soda and tons of flavors or ice cream. Care to share your favorite mix and match?

National Hike With A Geek Day.

Well, you'd have to know one to hike with one I guess. But hiking can be healthy and even geeks need love. If you are short a few geeks for a hike, you can always go look around North Avenue.

National Vanilla Milk Shake Day. Love old time milkshakes from the soda fountain. How many of you are old enough to have been to a real soda fountain?

International Nystagmus Awareness Day. Not too much to say about this other than I was apparently born with it. I always credit nystagmus for my failure as a hitter in baseball.

National American Eagle Day. Our national symbol and a fine one it is. They were on the verge of extinction at one point but, like the Braves, made a great comeback.

Which of this plethora of days would you choose to celebrate?

I'm going with Ice Cream Soda Day.

Almost forgot,

It's also National Kouign Amann Day.  Kouign amann is a round crusty cake, made with a yeast-raised dough containing layers of butter and sugar folded in, similar in fashion to puff pastry or croissants but with fewer layers. The resulting cake is slowly baked until the butter puffs up the dough creating the layered aspect of it and the sugar caramelizes. The name comes from the Breton words for cake “kouign” and butter “amann.” Kouign amann is a popular and traditional pastry in Brittany, where it originated in 1860 when flour was scarce, but butter was abundant.

Comments

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not making fun of you or anyone with that condition*, but Barney Google must have had nystagmus (condition of involuntary eye movements - vertical, horizontal, or circular). The song/jingle was, "Barney Google, with those goo-goo, googly eyes." From memory, Barney Google was a sometime character in the Snuffy Smith comic. If we were Cockney, an internet search would likely be called a "barney". If we were Cockney.....

• I have my own eye condition.