Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

BREAKING: 4-star OL Akinola Ogunbiyi flips his UGA commitment

2»

Comments

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

You just lost me by editing my post

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

A thought occurred after I posted earlier. Georgia is recruiting now, more than ever, on a national scale. Verbal commitments are tenuous at best. However, issues like this one are inevitably going to arise when young men are moving this far from home and family. We've already seen it with the Luke Ford transfer to Illinois. Not pointing this out as a negative, simply stating that it's part of the cost of doing business on occasion. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    SoCalDawgSoCalDawg Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

Right decision. Family is more important.

I look forward to seeing him do well at A&M.

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was using my phone when I first read this, and it doesn't allow me to post or even see these comments, but my feelings upon reading the article are the same as many have posted here. Dawg Nation is praying for your Mom's health. We all wish that you could have been a Dawg, but we all wish you the best in your future. As someone else said " the right decision for the right reasons".

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought I posted on this topic on Monday, but I don't see it, so I'll repost. I'm sure this kid's mom's health played a role in his decision, but I'm also sure it's not the entire story here -- perhaps not even the main story. Based on his stated reasoning, logic would dictate that he handled his recruitment in the opposite manner in which he did. In other words, since his mom had not improved from her **** of 15 months ago, seems he would have committed to A&M and then, if her health had improved significantly, flip to UGA at that point. Just SIX DAYS before he announced his flip, he was still recruiting guys to Athens and he was all Dawg. Given the nature of strokes, it's hard for me to believe that he was thinking that in SIX DAYS his mom would be well enough for him to matriculate to UGA. Just doesn't make sense. Furthermore, you've got to believe he already had his mom's blessing to go to UGA BEFORE he committed there. As someone who has covered news and sports as a journalist for nearly 40 years, and someone who is intimately familiar with A&M from spending 30 of those years in Texas, I suspect what happened is something like this. The big boys from A&M repeatedly got in this kid's ear pointing out to him how UGA is STILL recruiting other big-time offensive linemen and how there is no guarantee he would play right away. All the while, they kept harping on how he really doesn't want to leave mom at a time like this. And they probably even told him that he could use that if he decided to flip, that he wouldn't have to trash UGA, just come home to mama. No one would be upset with him for doing that. I'm thinking that's how it played out and that won the day. Not upset with him. I wish him and his mother well. That said, we move on. Go Dawgs!