Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

UGA AS A NATIONAL BRAND – From Sea to Shining Sea!

Comments

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cory430 Here you go. It might take a couple of posts but I'll get it all here.

Filling out a test freshman app right now: Here are a few key things to get right when you apply: 1) Students, you need to complete the application. Always weird when the "preferred" first name just happens to be mom's name. Drew, do you really want to go by the name Susan?

2) Students, if you live in GA, make sure you complete the residency section correctly. If you say your are not a legal resident of GA for tuition purposes (yet you have lived here for 18 yrs), we believe you know what you're talking about. Get it right.

3) Major selection does not matter for admission purposes. Choose the major you are interested in, not the one your weird uncle tells you to put down because it is "easier to get in". It's not, seriously. If Plant Biology is not your thing, don't put it down.

4) Get a copy of your transcript right not. I'll wait. You will need it for the self reported grades section. Don't just wing it-9th grade first semester was a long time ago.

5) Make sure you know your email, your parents' emails, and your HS counselor's email. There is nothing worse that our emails bouncing back due to an email that ends in .cam instead of .com

6) The self reported grades are a little different this year, as we break it down into each year (9th, 10th, 11th). Same info, just a little more entering of info. Sorry about that.

7) If you have sent us any test scores, they will already appear in the test score sections and say Verified. No need to add them again. Also, unless you took the SAT in middle school, you will use the test type SAT R (for the SAT version started in 2016) if you have SAT scores.

7) For your activities/sports/work & summer activities, it helps to have a copy of your resume available to either cut/paste or as a guide. Don't leave off things because you don't think it matters (yes, I want to know your pt job, if you sing in youth choir, etc.).

8) With recommendations, more does not equal better. Select one or two people. Sometimes we cannot see the forest through all the trees. Focus on the people who know you well, not the ones who might "impress" us.

9) Essays - Don't obsess over these, but don't write them at the last, last second. The worst essay from last year was as follows- "Sorry, I ran out of time and could not do the second essay.". Really? Glad we were that important to you.

10) Essays part 2. Yes, we give a little extra space for the essays (expected length is 200-300 words). Don't abuse it. Received an email last year asking if being a little over - by 1,800 words, was okay. No.

11) Last one - Review things before submitting. There are no backsies. If you submit the app, it is submitted. Once submitted, enjoy life for a little while. Go ahead, dance around the room.

That's it.

Happy to share.

• cory430cory430 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • 914Dawg914Dawg Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Milton bump for the UGA national brand! And how about Todd Gurley cameo in the Milton video! NFL stars and great Dawg ambassadors playing (and representing the Power G) all over the US! Go Dawgs!

• WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thanks @DvilleDawg! I live in Utah of all places...home of hopefully another 5* Dawg, Noah Sewell. My son is a rising senior in HS and is looking at UGA or Arizona State (I am trying to let him make the decision but c'mon, ASU??).

As for national brand it's crazy how many Dawgs are in Utah. I have 3 living within a few blocks, and no I'm not in Salt Lake. So the brand is thriving even in inconspicuous places.

That's awesome @WildDawg . Anything we can do to help nudge him to UGA?

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

So you will be making special appearances at Noah's games with your "Commit to the G" sign?

@Kasey I'll post pics and video. I know the coach down at Orem HS where he's at...I might just be slipping some Nike red and black gear in his locker 😈. If the NCAA comes asking questions, you mods and admins need to go ahead and erase this post, please and thank you lol.

@DvilleDawg I'm not sure if there's anything y'all can do that I haven't done. The kid has more UGA gear than I do, but he has friends applying to ASU. Hopefully he makes the decision to be his own man and go to a real school.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I've seen the "talent" in tempe. 18 year old me would have a hard time saying no as well

Yes, I'm glad someone appreciates what I'm up against. Then again there's no shortage of "talent" at UGA either. I'm trying to sell my son on peaches instead of California Raisins 😁

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I was a grad student at ASU, I spent an inordinate amount of time watching class changes. Mind boggling - talent indeed.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

U know what's funny though? Herschel Walker is a National Brand unto himself but UGA isn't. 😂😂😂 Seriously though, Georgia may not be a National Brand to the average CFB fan but they r certainly a National Brand when it comes to High School coaches AND ESPECIALLY elite High School recruits.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd love to see that number come down and get closer to our public school ranking.

What does a school have to do to improve its ranking?

With classes starting for the Class of 2023 last week, UGA released some information about this (latest) record setting class. Here are a few highlights: UGA applications are up 40% since 2015. The current UGA freshman class had average SAT scores of 1359, while 25% of the class had scores higher than 1430! Their average ACT score was 31, while 25% of the class had a score greater than 33! 

Just as in football recruiting, with more and more top recruits/students wanting in, admissions has become more and more selective. Just wait until we win the Natty! Go Dawgs!

P.S. I no longer want to hear about any football recruit/family suggest that UGA might not be academically strong enough unless their son has an ACT of 34+ or an SAT of 1431+ (i.e., that they would be in the top 25% of this current freshman class).

I am bumping this discussion I started a year ago because the visit story from my now (very proud) UGA graduate daughter reminds me of just how important it is to get recruits on campus. Kirby is the best in the business, with a recruiting tool (Athens/UGA) like no other that he and staff can't fully deploy at the moment. (Have faith Dawgnation - we'll be just fine!)

Scroll back to my original post to see the impact of Athens/UGA on a NY kid that knew nothing about UGA. If/when visits are permitted, I suspect Kirby will once again lose very few battles. Go Dawgs!