Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Scholarship distribution feature

2»

Comments

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Any ideas as to who would get the 85th scholarship?

• Options
    edited July 2019

I would go with nobody unless there is a 2016/17 PWO who is worthy then will likely be one year only at this point. Note if it's a 2017 recruit he wont get it until game 3.

• Options
    JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 8,564 admin
    edited July 2019

This is my response a lot of times when @Denmen185 starts breaking down scholarship distribution information.

He's on it. Usually very close to actual with his detailed and dedicated spreadsheets.

"Have at it, hoss."

• Options
  • Options
    edited July 2019

If a WO (PWO or regular WO) gets put on scholarship before they have been enrolled for 2 years they count against the "25" so a 2016 PWO wouldn't count against any annual signing. A 2017 PWO put on scholarship before classes start in the fall would not meet this requirement and hence will count against the 2020 class "25". That is why Rod didn't get his scholly until the ND game in 2017 BTW. Any 2018 or 2019 PWO would also count against the 2020 class. Therefore the number we are allowed to sign in 2020 would drop to 22 (25-Cager-Wolf-PWO) unless they have been in class for 2 full calendar years before getting the scholarship. Of course if a PWO from 2017 had taken summer classes in 2017 (unlikely) he would be eligible immediately without counting against the 25 for 2020.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A link to recruiting classes would be nice as well.

• Options
  • Options

247 lists top classes, current distribution, and a bunch of other info. You can also check every other school as well. It’s nice when doing research, like comparing our current position group with another school. It could be a simple link to their page...don’t have to create a DN version. 247 is very comprehensive...it’s what they do. The old DawgPost forum had a link to it. I like data.

• Options

This hasn't been updated yet but will hopefully soon. You can get 2018 data here which will give a clue where the key rivals are likely to be, Only other thing is to go to individual teams pages.

• Options

Yes, I go there frequently. Just thought it would be nice to have that, or something similar, attached to this forum for easy access. Just a thought to improve the DawgNation experience.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great link @Denmen185 . Never knew it existed.

Quick point on how important oline recruiting is -

Look how talented Florida state still is - 5th most talented roster according to 247. But because of incredibly poor oline recruiting they are unable to compete.

• Options
    edited July 2019

If you go to it and change the year to 2018 you get the 2018 rankings. However if you click on the team name Georgia for instance it gives you the 2019 roster. The you can click on pos to order by position or Yr to sort by class etc.

BTW I have the 2018 and 2019 front pages bookmarked for easy reference on a separate tab as well as the Top recruits for 2020 which I keep open at all times.

• Options

bump

@JeffSentell

could we get this pinned to the top or create a tab on the main website?

• Options
    edited July 2019

I took the great data that @Denmen185 supplied, modified a few things (moved Beal from DL to OLB & Brini from CB to S) then tried to identify what I believe to be an ideal roster break down position by position with 85 scholarships. I then tried to use that template to work backwards and figure out who UGA is graduating/expecting to go pro (Fromm/Swift/D Rob/ 4 OL/Herring/an OLB TBD/Rice/LeCounte) and figure out what UGA really needs in order to keep a balanced roster.

QB: I think we will get Carson Beck + a Grad Transfer QB once 2019 season has played out.

RB: I think we have to take 3 RBs, 2 blue chips and a lesser guy that will stay 4 years.

WR: Need 5 WRs (Gilbert/Washington/Johnson all fit into that mold)

TE: We need 2 TE types (2 of Gilbert/Washington/Johnson will satisfy this need)

OL: IMPO Cleveland is not going pro, and possibly Isaiah Wilson. If that's true, then we only need 4, but I don't see any way we don't need 5, unless we just want to go less than full in 2020 in-order to take 4 guys in 2021.

DL: Before doing this analysis I thought we needed 6 DL, but now its obvious we just need 3-4 really good ready to play guys (no projects, that would be a wasted scholarship that is needed at other positions for depth purposes)

OLB: I didn't realize how many OLBs we need, and Donnell Harris would fit perfectly into this equation, because we need a couple guys who are capable in spurts, but still need some time to sit and develop, because we are very top heavy and everyone but Nolan Smith currently in the OLB room will be gone after the 2020 season so we need to get out in-front of it a little bit in 2019.

ILB: We are fine, more in need of a hybrid ILB (Sewell) than a true ILB (Flowe).

DB: This will really depend on attrition, need 2-3 max, but if Daniel & LeCounte go pro, & 2 guys transfer then we will have to get 4 DBs, however Kirby will probably be going to the Transfer Portal for the 4th guy.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

dgd829 great post. I think both Ben Cleveland and Isaiah Wilson going pro depend on how the season goes. If Georgia win's the Natti and has three 1,000 yard rushers. Then Jack Fromm passes for over 3,000 yards then they are both going pro. If either of them get injured and miss most of the season them they are not going pro.

• Options

Great job. my only difference is I have 14 DL and 7 OLB as every play has 3 DL in our system whereas only about 50% has 2 OLB so equivalent to 1.5 OLB per play. Both are positions of almost constant substitutions.

• Options
  • Options

247 still has the best format.