Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Tankless Gas Water Heater - Exterior Mount

2»

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FPD. I you're not wanting to shell out that much money and you want something with the most efficiency in a high use area like the bathroom where you shower and/or laundry room, it might to worth looking into small low cost units that can be installed near the use site. You can even buy one that installs under a sink in it's cabinet.

Of course a whole home unit might suit your purpose better, but it's never a bad idea to weigh your options.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have natural gas, so to use a small electric somewhere doesn't work for me. Don't have an exotic situation. There is no reason a tankless wouldn't work. The issue is price, but then, the "kicks to price" ratio.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

FPD. the best small tankless heaters operate on gas. So it would just be a matter of running a bit of piping. An advantage is hot water would be instantaneous, no waiting for the unheated water to clear the lines.

You could actually keep a regular tank type for some uses while adding 2 or 3 inexpensive small tankless units in high use areas. Again, I'm not concluding which options would be best for your situation, just making the point that there are other options than whole home units.

Of course venting has to be considered with gas, unlike large units they can be vented horizontally with small vent fans and exit through walls or a crawl space, but that means extra labor. with lower temp areas like sinks electric might be the better option.

• Options
    JackLatttyJackLattty Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

I do HVAC and have dabbled in water heaters. Navien is what I would prefer and to me is best bang for your buck. Also, if at all possible I would put it inside. If outside you need to put heat tape on the lines, but even then they short out in a few years then lines bust.

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've had this brand in two different houses. I just moved in August, and my new home doesn't have these. It's probably the next item going in.

Instant hot water in any faucet in the house, and we host OOT family for special events, and I never have to worry about it. If budget isn't an issue, highly recommend.

• Options
    DawgTime92DawgTime92 Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior

I did plumbing warranty work for a couple of years. Call me old fashioned but I'm fan of a normal tank water heater. Really depends on size of house. How many things you run at same time. And pipe sizes under and throughout the house that matters the most when considering what type of water heater is the most efficient and affordable for you. Tankless does work great when they work. I hated having to go to a tankless call vs a tank. Normal water heater is really simple easy to fix repair vs a tankless. Pros and cons for each but like said before depends on your house and your hot water uses

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My situation was that I had a large tank WH for almost 20 years. The warranties on tank units are usually 8 years or less, so I figured I was using "house money" for the extra cost of a tankless. (See what I did there?) I also didn't like the quotes for the tank units and, big thing, I wanted a little sizzle for the money.

The big surprise is how effortless (knock wood) the tankless has been. The interwebs is full of horror stories and cautions, but haven't seen them (yet, knock wood). Had luck in finding a good contractor, and that he was in fact good - never know for sure. He had put n many units - was an approved contractor for Rennai and Navien - but had no experience with a dedicated return line nor anti-scale water treatment - I wanted these. But went well. He read up on these and talked with Navien to confirm, so all is jake.

I made a full effort to explore a replacement tank at first. Wanted this done in conjunction with other work. Shortening the story, was not happy with the bids or contractors. The Costco quote (designated contractor) for an AO Smith unit was high.

As to cost, the labor was about equal to the cost of the unit (prices online), and it turns out, was the lowest of the several quotes I got.

• Options
    SummDawgSummDawg Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

I can help you make a decision if needed. I own a plumbing company in Athens. I am a level 3 Rinnai and Navien installer. I don’t think I can advertise here, but you can google my last name followed by Athens, Ga. I’ll be happy to answer questions via email.

Chris Summers

• Options
    dawgdude65dawgdude65 Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have had 2 different houses in the last 8 years and both have had Rinnai tankless water heaters. I have never had an issue with mine and both were mounted on the outside. I will never have another house with a tank in it. I had 2 houses before the last 2 that both had tanks that burst and caused water damage in the house. It was a fight with insurance to get it repaired. Tankless is the way to go and I know 3 plumbers personally who love Rinnai.