Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football snubbed from 'RBU' discussion, but ESPN names Georgia 'LBU'

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited July 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football snubbed from 'RBU' discussion, but ESPN names Georgia 'LBU'

If there's one position group Georgia fans are most proud of, it's running back. The Bulldogs have produced a number of great ones over the years, from Herschel Walker to Garrison Hearst. In the past decade alone, the likes of Todd Gurley, Sony Michel and Nick Chubb have all taken snaps in Georgia's backfield. Even

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When you manipulate the query to measure against arbitrary parameters, you can get almost any result you're looking for. Georgia's still RBU whether ESPN likes it or not.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm really looking forward to our pass rush this year. I am hoping that we double last year's production.

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can't argue with the ranking, only the rationale. Starting with 1998 leaves out a lot of impressive RBs from the '80s and 90's. Also coincides with the Donnan and Richt eras. Both were brought is as offensive innovators, both having produced high-powered, diverse offenses with Marshall and FSU, respectively. While they brought UGA football more balance, the regularity of signing great RBs dipped for 10-12 years, with a couple notable exceptions. Also, basing it on 1,000-yard rushers may well become an outdated metric as the position has been devalued by the NFL, and RBs are smarter about joining talented RB rooms to better preserve the tread on the tires by spreading the carries around. I question the longevity we'll see from a Saquon Barkley or a Jonathan Taylor after serving as their teams' primary options for multiple years in college. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm not sure about your LB rationale either. No doubt, there have been some great ones, however Davis and Ogletree were both recruited as safeties, and I think Davis played safety almost his whole career at UGA. Pollack was a DT/DE who became one of the early pass-rushing hybrid DE/OLBs. Not sure they factored into Chris Low's calculations, though. Roquan and Boss are certainly two of the many great LBs has had over the years. However, I don't think any of us has seen a UGA team as talented across the board as the 2019 version of the Dawgs. Only at QB and TE are we thin in depth and experience. Every other position group goes at least two deep. There are guys in the third teams at UGA who could be starters at many other P5 schools. As noted yesterday, this team has a chance at a "magical" season. Barring injuries, I'm expecting quite the ride. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s this time of year where I really start getting impatient for the season to begin. We’re constantly bombarded by opinions, statistics and a good bit of plain ol’ bull crap. I’ll be glad when these reporters/writers/analyst can start talking about something that actually means something. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ESPN weighted all-American, all-SEC, etc. in to their formula, with all-American having more weight... With UGA having a running back by committee approach for awhile now, that's going to hurt their ranking significantly over teams that run the ball with one main back each year. That simple really. I guess due to all of ESPN's budget cuts they can't afford to dig any deeper than surface-level awards/stats.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another self proclaimed "expert" for you. What a 🤡.. Proved he knows nothing about college football. Look at the big picture genius, instead of wearing blinders. Regardless of your so called "expertise" that you claim, this list is a joke!

• Options
    latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2019

ESPN is just out to be politically correct and try to include everyone.

Participation trophies and talk about politics as much as sports since ESPN has taken over it becomes less and less a sports station

Its local station like the SEC network / Big10 Network / Longhorn network /etc etc etc are better stations than the regular ESPN is. Outside live sporting events I seldom if ever turn on regular ESPN

Marino and Musa Smith kind of knock holes in the argument

that don't even include Thomas Brown who was a decent talent and drafted into the NFL/ Kraig Lumpkin played several years in the NFL never fully recovered from injuries to show his #1 ranking coming out of Highschool / Danny Ware he hung around the NFL for 5 years

Then there is a list of FBs that were the best at a position that's no longer valued

All American and ALL conference involve politics and how good the team is they play on

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exactly..college football was being played long before the BCS was even a twinkle in the eyes of the corrupt NCAA.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

ESPN is clearly manipulating the data here. The setting of parameters that exclude some of the games greats (ie. Herschel Walker, OJ Simpson, Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith, Tony Dorsett, Walter Peyton) from the lists shows just how useless this reporting is. And all this as some of the most critical recruits to 2020 class close in on their decision between us and other universities who made the RBU list. ESPN is literally no better than Fox, CNN, MSNBC etc. What’s even more embarrassing is they used to manage to come across seemingly unbiased, now, however l, their love affair with Nick Saban/Alabama is clear. This is propaganda in its truest form.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

Seriously? Robert Edwards, Olandis Gary, Patrick Pass, Verron Haynes, Musa Smith, Thomas Brown, Knowshon Moreno, Kregg Lumpkin, and Danny Ware were good running backs that had decent NFL careers from the BCS era. Not to mention other former running backs like Washaun Ealey and Isaiah Crowell who got in trouble but were part of a very good list of Georgia running backs. Alot of the backs had to share carries or just wait their turn. Georgia should have definitely been on Chris Low's RBU top ten list. GO Dawgs!

• Options
    WizardofWordsWizardofWords Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

I posted earlier asking the question how many schools have three former backs starting in the NFL. And then the comment disappeared. I do not like your new comments format.

• Options
    chub4Chubbchub4Chubb Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Louis8478 like that Lumpkin shoutout. (Break in subject) Bout how far do I need to stand away from Herschel to explain Chubb does not have an ‘s’ ... Took it easy on the ludes today.