Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

But I am not on your lawn

Comments

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2019

It’s definitely different today.

Andy and Barney felt the same way about Opies generation. Almost word for word.

• Options
    jc30116jc30116 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hmm I am 46 and see the entitlement attitude with the millennials all the time. Laziness, gimme gimme gimme, think the rules don't apply to them. Nothing any of you can say that will change my mind on that. I won't go into detail but I see it every day, day in day out. One of the biggest reasons why I will not hire anyone under 35 to work for me.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Part of the reason that kids act like they do today is the mistaken belief parents have that they should be friends with their kids, and not parents. They don't know how to say no, or how to discipline because they're afraid to be a parent. We're from the same generation swilkerson73; I am 50 years old. I have 3 kids, all grown. Two of them had no problems with me being a parent. One of them had a problem with me not being his friend. The one that had a problem with me being a parent dropped out of school and left home at 17. Now he does nothing but wait tables with no prospects unless he betters himself. The other 2, one is a firefighter and the other, a college student. Those 2 had no problems with me being a parent. They're not the typical 'I want it all and I want it now' types.  

• Options

Nothing any of you can say that will change my mind on that

And that is ok. Like I said many times people only see the good from the past but not the bad.

Its what nostalgia is all about. But it doesn't make it true.

Everything was great in the good old days right? When you didn't have to lock your doors. Only there was a chance you could drink the water and get polio. People usually conveniently forget the bad stuff.

Its where this stuff comes from.

• Options

; I am 50 years old. I have 3 kids, all grown. Two of them had no problems with me being a parent. One of them had a problem with me not being his friend.

Sounds familiar. From my dads family. In the 50's

Nothing has changed.

• Options

One of the biggest reasons why I will not hire anyone under 35 to work for me.

You are missing out on a lot of talented people I would imagine. Not a good business practice.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow, 35 years old? That's kind of the biggest and most diverse section of the labor pool you're intentionally skipping out on. By 35 these are full blown adults my man

• Options
    UGA_2019UGA_2019 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Come on now guys, he does seem like a really great guy to work for. Truth be told, he’s probably doing them a favor. Lol

• Options
    914Dawg914Dawg Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Two cents from someone who will be 50 next week (yikes)! Sure there are many differences with "kids today" and I'll admit that I had more of a safety net than my Dad did and my kids certainly have more than I had, but in one respect its gotten much tougher.

I faced much more competition to be successful in school and in workforce than my Dad did and my kids faced (and face) much more competition to get into a great school (like UGA) and be successful in the world then I did. Like in football though, iron sharpens iron and the kids that are succeeding put in the time and the work. (Employers: my advice is find those kids - they will add new perspectives and many are quite hungry and willing to work).

Another sports analogy: think about how athletes have generally gotten bigger, stronger and faster over the last few generations - to succeed in any area requires upping your game to meet the competition. Ultimately this is a great thing for society (innovation, etc.), but it doesn't come w/o some bumps in the road.

• Options
    jc30116jc30116 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ha.. the reason I don't hire under 35 is the entitlement attitude and SAFETY. Everyone I have ever hired has had a minimum of 1 million safe miles driven. Have you seen these 21-22 yr olds driving an 80000 lb vehicle or hear their attitude when it comes to other cars on the road. I've heard it time and time again " they'll get our of the way". So no I'm not missing out on the best part of the work force. I am getting the best out there and paying them very well to do the job.

@UGA_2019 only favors I am doing are to myself. It's called not getting sued.

• Options

Ha.. the reason I don't hire under 35 is the entitlement attitude and SAFETY. 

Your loss.

• Options

Ah now see, that makes a lot more sense! Outdated ideas in an industry that’ll be mostly if not entirely automated within our lifetime. And my apologies for saying that you’re probably doing them a favor. I’ve now come to the conclusion that you’re definitely doing them a favor. Kids, learn skills that’ll allow you to get paid for your whole career, not just the next 10-20 years!

• Options

As an aside, I love when older folks whine about “entitlement attitudes” in younger generations. Remind me how entitled they are when your hand is out for monthly Social Security checks that they pay into but won’t ever see a dime of. Keep collecting those entitlements!

• Options
    edited July 2019

Except we aren't talking about government entitlements. We're talking about the attitude that they are entitled to as much as they can get without 'paying their dues' as soon as they walk in the door of a work place. Pay attention.

• Options

It's all good, though. Everyone has to grow up sometime, and some will catch on a lot earlier than others will.

• Options

It's all good, though. Everyone has to grow up sometime, and some will catch on a lot earlier than others will.

Just like its always been.

• Options

that’ll be mostly if not entirely automated within our lifetime.

Automation has eliminated a lot of high paying blue collar jobs and will continue to do so. No amount of nostalgia or longing for the good old days is going to change that.

Its just the way the world has always worked.

Better be prepared.

• Options

Entitlements are entitlements are entitlements. Y’all love complaining about others without realizing your own hypocrisy.

“Them dang millennials just don’t know to act!”

If that’s true and such a prevalent problem, then who raised them? Take a look in the mirror, folks.

• Options

Entitlements are entitlements are entitlements. Y’all love complaining about others without realizing your own hypocrisy.

Amazing isn't it.

Again, I think its just human nature to complain about the next generation. That way you can feel a lot better about yourself.

I am 45 and I refuse to fall into that trap. Common sense tells me it just isn't true.

• Options

I’ve worked with a mix of younger and older people and have definitely seen this attitude you speak of. Thing is, it doesn’t apply solely to the younger folks. It’s almost as if attitude is dependent on the person and not their age. Tell a Boomer the early bird special ended at 7am and watch ‘em throw a fit just like a 40 y/o Karen does when told they can’t have a discount at the retail store for whatever inane reason they seem to think deserves one.