Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

But I am not on your lawn

13»

Comments

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ummm, do you think millennials are they only people paying into Social Security? I've paid into Social Security and Medicare since I was 16 years old without any say in the matter so you better **** believe I'm going to take whatever I can get back from my forced investment and it's not a **** entitlement. Now if the government wants to reimburse my deposits into SS for the last 40 years with interest, I'll be more than happy to take that reimbursement and take care of investing it myself for my retirement.

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

^^^^^^^ BINGO!

• Options
    bigdawg65bigdawg65 Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The point he’s making is that us young folks are likewise going to be forced to pay into social security with pretty much no hope of ever seeing that money when we retire. And even though entitlement may not have a connotation you like social security is by definition an entitlement program.

TLDR- football season needs to hurry up and start already

• Options
    UGA_2019UGA_2019 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Time to bust out the reading glasses, buddy. Seems like bigdawg didn’t forget his. You can complain about being forced to pay into Social Security all you want but I’m not going to feel a lick of empathy for you. You’ll see your money back, we won’t see ours. End of discussion.

• Options

As another aside, if you can’t make your point without cursing, then you probably don’t have a very good point to make in the first place. Just makes you look silly. True in this case as evidenced by a severe lack of reading comprehension skills.

• Options

I typed out a long response to your asinine posts but then decided you weren't worth the effort. You have a good day now.

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The point he’s making is that us young folks are likewise going to be forced to pay into social security with pretty much no hope of ever seeing that money when we retire

I dont think that is the case.

Social Security could be fine. They will have a shortfall one day because of the boomers but even then they will be able to make partial payments. Just not the full amount they would have made otherwise.

I am not arguing pro or con SS here either. But when politicians tell you SS will be broke in 20 years they are lying and they know it. Broke means no money. They will be able to payout 70% or so. That isnt 0 %

• Options

Washington has been saying Social Security would be broke by X date for 50 years. It hasn't gone broke yet and I don't believe it will. Not totally broke anyway.

• Options

You can believe and hope all you want but Christmas wishes don't pay the bills. Even if you're correct, we're not seeing all of our money back. That means I still have absolutely no empathy for those who whine and complain saying that millennials are the ones who are entitled. You're getting your money back. We aren't. Keep collecting those entitlements.

• Options

Y'all are getting so worked up in a tizzy because you think I said that collecting Social Security is a bad thing. Not at all the case. But if you're one of the ones complaining about millennials being entitled while yourself collecting entitlements, then you need to check yourself. Facts don't care about your feelings.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod

Play nice boys and girls

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm a big fan of yours @swilkerson73 because you're just a straight rebel man! U don't tell them what they want to hear like many of us do. U just call it how u c it and I respect that to the utmost. 👍👍👍

• Options
    HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

@swilkerson73 Thanks for the education....I often come to dawgnation with hopes of learning life lessons...I mostly learn that some people really enjoy their pessimistic discontent and enjoy it even more when they can share it with others...ahh the lessons you've taught us have left us all so enriched!

• Options
    BengalDawgBengalDawg Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a Millennial I’d like to point out...

1. Our parents generation (50 -75) was known at our age as dope smoking hippies incapable of holding down a job
    2. The generation before us (35-50) brought us hair bands, Ponzi schemes, and the housing crisis
    3. The generation after us (5-20) eats tide pods for likes on instagram

we are technologically ahead of you

we are still young enough to be under paid

we paid more for the same education

We get zero respect despite working next to people your age who we are just as smart as

And for the life of us we have no idea why grandpa keeps telling us the world was better before these new fangled telephones.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

You must be pretty young, BengalDawg. I am 50 now, 30 years ago, I was 20, It was 1989, and there hadn't been any hippies around for close to 20 years. We had the Hair Bands, and the Grunge movement was still a couple of years away. I also had a job selling insurance for a pretty reputable company, so no trouble holding a job for me. I'm not a Boomer....I am a proud member of Gen-X. Now my parents? They were the hippie-type peace, love, dope generation. Both of them graduated high school in the 60s. I do seem to recall, however, that my parent's generation called Gen-X the slacker generation. So...there is that, and point taken.