Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Today I Turned 50: Perspective and the Greatest Gifts!

914Dawg914Dawg Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Today is my 50th. I’ve been thinking about this milestone for some time and realize that I am so fortunate to have a great wife and two wonderful kids (who had the good sense and grades to go to UGA)! All material things mean nothing w/o good health and relationships with your family and friends – in this sense I am a very wealthy man.

UGA Football, and Athens in general, has brought my family even closer together. We now have this common bond and love to share forever. My wife actually loves watching the Dawgs play – that’s the only football she will watch. We hope to someday retire to Athens and this couldn’t make my kids any happier because no matter where they ultimately decide to live, they’ll always want to come back to Athens. 

My buddy and I will be heading to Athens for the ND game – that and a Natty this year are the only (more material) gifts I really wanted. Earlier this week some good friends that I used to work with took me out for a great steak dinner in NYC and surprised me with a Georgia Football Helmet signed by Hines Ward! (Pic below). Such a cool and thoughtful gift that I thought Dawgnation would appreciate - they know I love the Dawgs and am a life-long Steelers fan. (Btw, for another thread HW should’ve been a first-ballot NFL HOF’er given his blocking and receiving prowess!).  

Sorry this post has dragged on for almost 50 years, but I wanted to share. We all often need (me for sure) reminders of what’s really important: family and friends and UGA Football. Go Dawgs!

P.S. That's my beagle Farley (named after Chris Farley).

Comments

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Happy birthday

50s not so bad.

At least your not as old as @WCDawg

• Options

Thanks @texdawg! And I just saw your post - hope you had a great day and congrats on your next chapter.

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Happy Birthday!!!

Hope you have a great day!

• Options
    NoahSewellFanClubNoahSewellFanClub Posts: 593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawgs bringing you a natty for the big 5-0. Happy Birthday and give Farley some pets from Dawgnation

• Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Happy Birthday

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

our birthdays are only a day (and some years) apart

happy birthday!

• Options

And Happy (belated or prelated) Birthday to you @tfk_fanboy !

• Options
    how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Happy birthday , I'd like to tell you I remember my 50th , but it was so long ago its sort of lost in the fog. Have a great day!

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

Yep! Happy 50th. I celebrated mine 10 years ago this year.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

HAPPY NEARER TO DEATH DAY. !!..YOU POOR BASSTERD. Just kidding, the years ahead of you will likely have a lot in common with the years behind you in a key way. Barring uncommon good fortune or ill fortune they will largely be what you make of them. Eat reasonably well, stay active physically, mentally and spiritually. Oh, also hydrate and moisturize.

Don't worry... be happy, I made that one up..😉

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And your not nearly as old as donm. I can’t even remember my 50th. Enjoy, man!.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

Happy birthday from one birthday boy to another. This is my big 77. I wish I could remember my 50th.

• Options
    how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All this time I thought I was communicating with a bunch of kids - in reality we are all just a bunch of old men - some a little older than others.

That's awesome.

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Happy Birthday to @914Dawg , @tfk_fanboy & @oldon42 !

@914Dawg - love the helmet, love Farley more. Looks like a very good boy 🐶

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

lol - just turned 50 myself last week...I suppose an old fashioned forum w/ posts isn't very "millenial", is it?

I still prefer this mode vs communicating through comments as has become the norm on many social media platforms.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember when I turned 50 for the first time. Remember my wife's quote to this day. "Yard's not going to mow itself"

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You mentioned health so here goes - but short version. Dietary info is still a mess, but it is pretty clear that sugar and salt are not your friends. Try to wean off both as to regular add-ons. As to sugar, cane and beet are one thing, and high fructose corn syrup is something (bad) else. HFCS is in most add-ons with breakfast - ketchup, jellies, etc. Plus most plastic bottle juices. Need to be vigilant and avoid.

Try to switch to liquid fats, like olive oil, safflower oil (supposed to help with belly fat), grape seed oil, canola oil, etc. And moderate those.

Review your family history mother and father - can come ether way, you have an X and a Y. Listen to your body. Get whatever vaccinations are recommended. Aspirin 81 - in spite of recent study - will not harm you - unless allergic - taken with a meal. Vitamins are a mess too, but unless you have a chef, take a multi-vitamin and zinc 50 mg daily. Also a probiotic. The gut is being viewed as a "source" of many problems.

You already mentioned exercise, and having a good social and family life. Do it for Farley, if for no other reason. Best of the day to you.

• Options

Happy Birthday! You know we share a bday with MTv (8/1/81) and we are old enough to remember when it first started and it was like a radio station, but with music videos.

• Options

Thanks! Farley is (usually) a good boy, but can get himself into trouble sometimes. He loves food more than anyone/anything I've ever seen and also loves to nap and cuddle (but who doesn't). He has a UGA collar, but you can't see it in the pic.