Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Root Beer Float Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know. This is kind of a repeat. It wasn't long ago that we had National Black Cow Day. I think there may be subtle differences between a black cow and root beer float, but I'm not up to discerning them. Suffice it to say a good root beer float "floats" my boat.

Some Peabody's Improbable History:

Also known as the “Black Cow,” the root beer float got its start in Colorado in a mining camp. Frank J. Wisner of Cripple Creek, Colorado, gets the credit for inventing the “Black Cow” way back in August of 1893.

One night Wisner, owner of the Cripple Creek Cow Mountain Gold Mining Company, was staring out the window and thinking about the line of soda waters he was producing for the citizens of Cripple Creek when he came upon an idea. The full moon that night shined on the snow-capped Cow Mountain and reminded him of a scoop of vanilla ice cream. He hurried back to his bar and scooped a spoonful of ice cream into the children’s favorite flavor of soda, Myers Avenue Red Root Beer. After trying, he liked it and served it the very next day. It was an immediate hit.

Wisner named the new creation, “Black Cow Mountain” but the local children shortened the name to “Black Cow”.

It's also National Fresh Breath Day - floss, brush, rinse, gargle, rinse. See your dentist. Do all of this regularly and you should have good oral health and, as my dentist is fond of saying, good oral health helps good overall health. So brush after that root beer float(s).

Comments

• JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 8,558 admin
    edited August 2019

Don't drink sodas much anymore. Except in a certain fashion in rare cases.

But I might be tempted with a good root beer float here for the sake of nostalgia. Those things were as much summer to me as wiffle balls, baseball cards, yellow and red watermelon and fireflies.