Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

A basic question on the commitment process?

ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited July 2017 in General

ABC University extends an offer to a 3 star high school recruit.

The recruit commits but later decommits.

Does the offer still stand or is it terminated by the decommitment?

Comments

• Options
    SavannahDawg1SavannahDawg1 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Reeldawg said:
    ABC University extends an offer to a 3 star high school recruit.

The recruit commits but later decommits.

Does the offer still stand or is it terminated by the decommitment?

It's up to the coach. The spot is technically open... but they can reserve them a spot if they so choose. I.E. Adam Anderson. He will have a spot until signing day. Granted I dont think he will take it that far.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really a mute point as the University can opt to, or not, accept the commitment as they so choose.

• Options
    SavannahDawg1SavannahDawg1 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Denmen185 said:
    Really a mute point as the University can opt to, or not, accept the commitment as they so choose.

Lol I even used some of the same terminology "if they so chose"

• Options

@SavannahDawg1 said:

@Denmen185 said:

Lol I even used some of the same terminology "if they so chose"

:)

• Options

Thank you gentleman.

• Options
    ladawgladawg Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Denmen185 said:

It's a moot point.. not being a jerk.. someone pointed this out to me recently.. thought I'd share it

• Options

Thanks @ladawg and the same to everyone else.

I follow recruiting but I am trying to figure out the rules and regulations.

• Options

@ladawg said:

@Denmen185 said:

It's a moot point.. not being a jerk.. someone pointed this out to me recently.. thought I'd share it

@ladawg said:

@Denmen185 said:

Thanks. Should have known that being English :)

• Options

@JeffSentell said:
    A few terms and things to know.

Offer: Dime-a-dozen. Run of the mill. Yawn. I look to that these days as something like an old "Come here often" line in a singles bar or a "swipe right" on a social dating app.

Committable offer: Much more valued. Usually requires at least one unofficial and one official visit. These offers usually remain on the table after a de-commitment until a quota of committable offers are met at that respective position.

Conditional committable offer: This gets complex. I will try to sum it up best here. Let's say UGA wants to sign 3-4 OLB types this year. They have a small pool of Adam Anderson, Brenton Cox, KJ Henry, Azeez Ojulari, Micah Parsons and Caleb Tannor that they will accept commitments from. In theory, a public or a silent commit from an Anderson, a Henry and an Ojulari BEFORE any of the others do the same will render those other offers moot. Those offers are basically voided until another spot opens up.

How does that happen? UGA might want to add a 4th OLB "Jack" type prior to adding an additional commit like a 5th DB or a third TE for 2018.

Spot in the class: I prefer this term. For the real Alphas. Example: UGA might have offered 21 WRs. But they are only taking 3 WRs. They will not accept a commitment from another receiver other than Josh Vann or Kearis Jackson until those two make their decisions.

Unconditional offer: Will take said commitment at any time or place. That's a we-will-make-room offer. Very very few of these. I'd say there are less than 15 of those guys out there for 2018. Some of those are: Jamaree Salyer, Brenton Cox, Adam Anderson, Luke Ford, Justin Fields, Xavier Thomas, Tyson Campbell, Patrick Surtain Jr. and Kearis Jackson, among others.

Dang, you about covered my entire Mock Class there Jeff. :D

• Options

Great write up Jeff.

I think we all learned a thing or two on the issue.

Recruiting is more like chess than checkers.