Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH Brian Kelly: 'Physicality was real' in 23-17 loss to Georgia

SystemSystem Posts: 10,490 admin
edited September 2019 in Article commenting

imageWATCH Brian Kelly: 'Physicality was real' in 23-17 loss to Georgia

Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly shared the Irish's game plan against Georgia, and it nearly worked in the 23-17 Bulldogs' win at Sanford Stadium

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Notre Dame must have been given a copy of Georgia's playbook. Time after time a pass to a RB or receiver behind the line of scrimmage was sniffed out and stopped for lost yardage.. Maybe Coley should put those plays on the shelf.

• Options
    latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Been saying all season that Coleys gimmicky offense would crash against a solid def …… constant 3 yard passes and end around sweeps can not be the foundation of an offense they are plays that should be ran a total of 3-4 times a game combined

Honestly Fromm should have connected on some deeper passes more often. The box was stacked with 10 men most all night as ND was committed to stopping the run. He is a 3 year starter that should know how to pass against 10 in the box and I felt it was not a great game for Fromm. people will argue that he completed most his passes bla bla bla sometimes that's not the point sometimes you must push the ball down field and he consistently looked to the dump off and the short level out routes. Don't bother telling me how wrong I am till you go back watch the game another time and look at some the guys open down field while we are throwing passes for 3 yard losses

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

Congrats to the DAWGS. ND played a great game. Both teams fought hard. I'm glad to finally see what these DAWGS were made of this season.

My grades:

Offense - B+ ....we made adjustments at the half and ran the ball enough to be able to grind out the game, connect on passes when needed and run the clock. Our OL played pretty well and protected Fromm long enough to get off passes. Concern: Our longest run was only 16 yards against a ND rush defense ranked 120th in the nation. This might not do the job against the latter half of our schedule.

Fromm - A - great game management and passing efficiency. No interceptions and good decision making.

Defense - B - held Book in check most of the game and stuffed their run game. Pass rush finally got going in the 2nd half enough to disrupt Book. However, they picked us apart much of the night passing. Our secondary appears to be the weakest link in the defense.

Special teams - F - muffed punt return gives ND 6 points and our punting was atrocious.

We've definitely got some things to work on, but overall I'd give us a solid B.

SI and Bleacher Report have us at #4 now (LSU #3). I'd agree with that ranking. Our biggest hurdles remain in the back-to-back games against Florida, Auburn, and Texas A&M. That's a tough gauntlet to survive unscathed, but with improvement there comes opportunity. GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not the prettiest of wins but I will give ND credit. They came in with a good game plan and executed it for the most part. As stated, and as expected, our depth wore them down in the end and we got a great, needed win against a top ten team. We may not hold onto our #3 ranking after LSU’s big win. I don’t know and I don’t care. All that matters is these guys continue to work hard, keep chopping and improve as a team. In the end, it all works out. Congratulations to all these young men who gave it all they had and left nothing on the field to get this big win for their team. I am proud of y’all! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Vote up, or vote down - who like this comment format?

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

After looking at Georgia in a big game whee the opposition defensive plan is to play downhill, what is Georgia contingency plan. I am saying when the opposing team is focused on stopping the run, can Georgia offense sling the ball around as well as throw down field. I have not seen it from Kirby Smart teams, which has a quarterback that is listed 3rd in most passing yardage in Georgia high school football behind Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawerence. They have a massive offensive line that has been labeled the Great Wall and athletic receivers with speed, but has not shown they are capable of doing that like elite teams. You look at Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, LSU, Texas, and Ohio State, they sling it around with throws downfield. I understand Georgia mentality is to be physical and establish the line of scrimmage with running the ball, but what is the plan when they can't. The evidence shows they will lose games to great teams like LSU and Texas.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What a great game from both teams. Notre Dame should hold their heads high, despite the loss. They out played Georgia in the first half. I would also say, they out wanted Georgia in the first half.

You could see the effects of all the "Ga will destroy ND" news coverage taking place between the two teams. Notre Dame's players had something to prove, while it looked like Georgia's players thought they already had. The mental aspects of the game are fascinating.

Georgia enjoyed a huge home field advantage, I would say it was the overall loudest crowd in Sanford stadium history. Right up there with the last time LSU, and College game day came in. On a neutral field, the outcome may have been different.

I hope they don't drop Notre Dame down too far in the rankings. They look like a top 10 team to me.

• Options
    saldivensaldiven Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

"The Bulldogs, however, were unable to break a run longer than 16 yards against a Notre Dame defense that entered the night 120th in the nation against the run."

I fell for this stat, too, because I didn't understand it in context. The statistic alone doesn't tell you that their first game was against a triple option team. Even good defenses give up rushing yards against the triple option. Not saying ND has a particularly good defense, but by the time the full season has elapsed, ND's rush defense ranking will be way better than 120th.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It was a real football game with something on the line. both teams showed up and played hard for four quarters.

good win, but we have to get back to work and this team has to evolve. We have to get those young WR deep and lets this team take off

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"They picked us apart much of the night passing. Our secondary appears to be the weakest link in the defense."

Having to go without both starting / top two corners tends to show. ND's passing success in the first half yielded all of 3 points, not counting drives that started inside the Georgia 10 yard line, and even that took more than 4 cracks at it. In the second half it was almost completely shut down.