Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Notre Dame coach double downs with another strong denial of faking injuries vs. UGA

SystemSystem Posts: 10,491 admin
edited September 2019 in Article commenting

imageNotre Dame coach double downs with another strong denial of faking injuries vs. UGA

For the second day in a row, Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly was asked about his players faking injuries in the UGA loss. For the second day in a row, Kelly was in full-denial mode. The latest Kelly comments occurred in Notre Dame’s press conference on Monday, in advance of this weekend’s game against Virginia: Q.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RGBRGB Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

it's on tape, sorry Coach Kelly

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kelly is taking advantage of what is known as "plausible deniability". Anyone with half a brain knows he is lying.

Here is the solution... a team can have up to five injuries on defense, with no penalties. Starting with the sixth time-delay injury, the offending team can choose either one of two options: 1) a 15-yard penalty, or 2) the injured player cannot return for the remainder of the game.

While not breaking the letter of the rules, Notre Dame clearly and repeatedly broke the spirit of the rules. When this starts to happen, the letter of the rules needs to be changed.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I like this concept, but let’s remove the penalty (if legitimately injured a player can’t help/avoid it. Or I’d say they either have to burn a timeout to immediately sub that player back in OR that player must sit out the remainder of that drive. This increases player safety and fixes the issue without punishing legit injured kids.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kelly desperately trying to put lipstick on a pig. The entire nation witnessed what actually happened.

• Options
    FleaflickerFleaflicker Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

He is right. In most cases when you are getting your Butt handed to you . You usually don't feel good a want to take a knee.

Kelly most have some "Hail Merry's " saved up and need to use them

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

This kind of stuff......true or false...does not really bother me........No biggie...take a 5 minute break and we'll go right back to where we were

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

This should be embarrassing for an institution like Notre Dame. Brian Kelly loses respectability every time he answers that question. It's probably a red flag on his personality. His defense was tired and needed to take a break. I understand he can't truly admit to faking injuries but come up with a better answer.Don't bluntly deny that what they did weren't used to stop momentum. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Obviously Kelly hasn’t yet watched the film from Saturday night lol...

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

kelly is lying through his teeth .

• Options
    BanditBandit Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

Kelly said in his first interview that the second injury was due to cramps. I have never heard of treating cramps with eye drops.

• Options
    Gaowens58Gaowens58 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Brian Kelly is lying about fake injury. They practiced fake injury stuff all week prior to playing Georgia. He knew coming into the game Georgia would wear them out by the third quarter. So he had a person on the side line giving instruction on when and who needs to go down. However, their was a mix up from the side line and they got caught in the act. If you watch other games they play they will do the same thing if they are behind in the game.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like Lou Holtz said in an interview before the game, "Notre Dame is bringing their own refs so they will know what they can get away with." Besides the flops, after the third or forth false start penalty, Kelly was shown chewing the ear off the side judge. Evidently, he was wanting the refs to stop throwing those flags the way they were keeping the flags in their pockets on multiple holding and pass interference calls.

• Options
    DocckDocck Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore

I don't know if 6 was really injured or not. But I had not seen where 20 almost went down on his knee while walking in front of # 6. That is pretty fishy. I don't have a good explanation for that without assuming he was looking at the sideline and a signal was given to "go down".

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Notre Dame Flopping Irish

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

Burnerbot,

You have to assume a lot to get to the conclusion that this is a "bad look" for everyone who's arriving at the most readily available conclusion. I'll concede it's possible that 6 really did have some kind of issue that needed to be checked on. But it gets a little harder to believe that there was never any such intent in the game when 20 looks to the sideline and immediately goes to take a knee, like he thought he knew exactly what was expected of him, then quickly hops up and spins around like, "Nobody saw that." Maybe they really were telling 6 to go down for his own good, but 20's readiness does raise an eyebrow. I don't know where you could be getting this impression that he seemed baffled.

This brings us to the second one. If it was a simple eye/contact issue, he could have easily made it to the sideline. You see players with minor issues do it all the time. They don't just plop down in the middle of the field. Again, is it possible that, oh I don't know, both eyes happened to become injured on the same play beyond the point of usefulness in getting off the field? I suppose. But to get to where it's a "bad look," one has to assume not only the extent of an eye injury, with no evidence, but also that the basis for this assessment of the injury is clear enough that everyone who's calling the situation what it otherwise looks like should know better and just doesn't care.

Lastly, I have to disagree that losing the #3 tackler for one play in exchange for a free timeout at a point where one is clearly needed is "lousy strategy." Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

It's possible that this was all one big coincidence, at a point in the game when Notre Dame's defense was on its heels. I honestly can't say with absolute certainty that it wasn't. But Kelly's explanation (at least for the second one) has understandably added fuel to the impression that there were some shenanigans going on. I think if anything, it would be a reasonable misunderstanding. Questionable and conveniently timed injuries aren't exactly unprecedented in college football.

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Did 6 reenter the game? If so, Kelly wasn't the least bit worried, for if there is even the possibility of a concussion any sane coach would keep the player out until conclusive proof a concussion didn't occur. As Shakespeare wrote in Hamlet, "The coach doth protest too much, methinks." What? Isn't that what he said?

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Was the Irish sideline signaling for a player to go down? It is obvious number 20 was starting to make a flop move to the ground too.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would have more respect for Kelly if he admitted he did it. If he said, I did it, and it worked. It would make it look better.

But, if he admits to it, he may not be able to keep the lowly tactic in his playbook. This is not a good look for Notre Dame.

• Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nixon denied any connection to the Watergate break-in a lot too.