Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia tweaking playbook, Kirby Smart wants ball in playmakers' hands

SystemSystem Posts: 10,447 admin
edited September 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia tweaking playbook, Kirby Smart wants ball in playmakers' hands

Georgia coach Kirby Smart said the Bulldogs will use the bye week to tweak their offensive scheme, looking for more ways to go downfield and get the ball into the hands of their top playmakers

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bobbybobby Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior

Been an issue for Georgia for as long as I can remember. Can't say I'm surprised by the current state of affairs.

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

I feel if Georgia find a consistence way to open up their offense with creative passing and establishing a downfield threat to go along with the run game, then Georgia is set to be National Champion. If you watch Georgia games when they are throwing the ball around and going up tempo, they are hard to stop. I hope the coaching staff hurry and realize that they have playmakers on their team by letting the playmakers show what they can do with the ball in their hands.  

• Options
    unweanedlilpupunweanedlilpup Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

First quarter of ND game, we mostly ran east-west stuff ...screen passing, end around, tunnel screen, etc. Glad to read Kirby recognizes we need to stretch north, now if Coley will just call the plays to do so. Get the safeties back out of the box and open up the run game is the bonus. End around and bubbles should be a surprise play, not bread and butter to pickup a coupla yards and sustain a drive.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's impressive that CKS realizes this NOW. Hard to believe he couldn't tell that on Saturday night. He only had about 80,000 assistant coaches sitting right there trying to advise him. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thinkin we want a balance... too much up tempo keeps the D on the field too long. Mixing it in to open up the run game is good.

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

Oh man! I had completely forgotten about Chubb and Michel doing that. How can a coach be paid millions of dollars and (supposedly) be one of the best in the business and have to have his own players have an intervention about how to do better?

The playcalling last week was extremely predictable and conservative. I really hope CKS actually does tweak the offense. But like you said, we’ve heard all that before. I often wonder what our offense would look like in the hands of a Malzahn or Meyer. I want the offense to be “scary good” but they are a long way from that.

• Options

This program is still in the “really good” but not “great” category. But I’m still dialed in and I think they will get there.

• Options

Against LSU that gameplan was actually working. Holyfield was running it right at them. And then they inexplicably went away from it.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't buy it. Everytime we start rolling in a big game, Kirby takes his foot off the gas, then tells reporters he won't do it in the future. Kirby's gathering talent at a record pace, but he is his own worst enemy on game day...

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

“players, not plays,” Apparently that is easier said than done. IMO if a receiver wants to see the ball more often, GET OPEN! Zeus getting a grand total of ZERO touches makes no sense to me.

Perhaps we have players and not enough creativity in our plays. Do they sell offensive plays on Amazon?

• Options
    BowdCrowderBowdCrowder Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

Sounds great... They just need to practice what CKS is preaching.

• Options
    Billy21Billy21 Posts: 195 ✭✭✭ Junior

GET YOUR HANDS OUT OF THE OFFENSE AND LET COLEY DO HIS JOB. too much control is what it sounds like to me... focus on your strengths and let the other coaches focus on theirs, because this HAVOC is non-existent (which i don't count pressure). if you want to intimidate a QB, you gotta get to him and make him feel pain of getting hit.

Offense: lets see you get more vertical shall we. Stop worrying about WR blocking first to earn catches. there not going to block everyone... perfectly.

O-Line: waiting for you to wake up??

Defense: D-Line... where ya at?? we can't even budge through.

Special Teams: Someone help Hot Rod because he is carrying the group.

they got too much talent to be playing like they are. hope this bye week gives them ample time to get out of their comfort zone and start being creative with the ball and schemes on defense to SACK the qb.

Go DAWGS!!

• Options
    Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

Allow your wide outs to be wide outs instead of outside offensive guards kirby!!!! And enough of the jet sweeps we got 500 pound linemen run the ball at people. O line needs to learn how to pass protect

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My guess is that all the moaners and groaners making these comments weren't at the game. Another guess is that most have not sniffed the air of a college campus much less a classroom at UGA. One more guess is that most were just fine with their "Good man" and bowl games before New Year's and now Kirby has us with three blow out wins, a top 10 win, and in the NC conversation less than four years removed from abject mediocrity, but he and his staff are idiots and DN commenters have PhDs in all things football. Go Kirby, GO Dawgs!

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

It seems Kirby, in only his fourth year of coaching, is doing well where on-the-job training is concerned. Opening the offense up will pay great dividends as far as both the running and passing game are concerned. We have the horses - let 'em run!

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

Watching LSU, Auburn, and Florida this past Saturday made me think that Georgia is going to be passed by like we're standing still if we're not careful.

LSU put 66 points on Vandy...I don't care that Burrow played more...if Fromm had been left in longer, it would have helped him get more in-game practice with the receivers.

It looks like Florida has found a QB, and I'm starting to get worried about that game. Trask gives the offense way more confidence than I ever remember seeing with Franks under center.

Nix is only going to get better at Auburn, and that Schwartz kid is fast. Auburn ran a reverse at Texas A&M in the early 1st quarter and all I could think is that I hope we're ready for that.

Oh, and don't forget what Alabama is doing. I know they haven't played a real powerhouse, but the way they're scoring is impressive.

That reminds me, when I see the Ohio State QB's highlight reel, it makes me wonder what he didn't show here that all of a sudden he can do that now. Or is it that we didn't want that? I know the dynamic was different with him and Fromm, but it just makes me wonder.

I've been saying since 2017 that once we get out to a lead, we really need to open up the passing game as a practice session. I see great potential in our receiver room, but they've got to be turned loose. PIckens almost had a TD, but it looked like PI.

Tennessee fans are obviously upset, and Pruitt has to be feeling the heat. If Florida beat them 34-3, I certainly hope we can top that...and that was in Knoxville.

I'm a Dawg fan through and through, and I want to see us absolutely dominate teams the way I think we can.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve heard Kirby say that change is inevitable but progress is optional.

Lets see how this goes now. He’s saying the right things.

• Options
    plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

wrong on all accounts,,,We all may have different opinions on how things may be done, but we all have a common goal, and that's to will the whole frickking thing,....We did win the game but left ourselves pretty exposed 6 points down, with ND with the ball, less than 3 minutes in the game,,,,,No santimony needed in who is, or is not a UGA alumni, or who bleeds the most red and black......This commenter has more education than 95% on Earth,,,,,and insulting the guys here is clearly wrong,,,,,State your case, make your argument with supporting facts,,,,,and we may agree with you someday

• Options
    MLVMLV Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Get. George. The ball.