Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN's Finebaum: 'Kirby Smart is trying to run Alabama 2.0 and it’s not working'

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageESPN's Finebaum: 'Kirby Smart is trying to run Alabama 2.0 and it’s not working'

It has been a rough few days for UGA, and ESPN’s Paul Finebaum piled on the Bullogs on Monday. Finebaum, the host of a show on ESPN’s SEC Network, appeared on the WJOX 94.5 FM out of Birmingham, Ala., and here’s what he said about UGA, per SDS’s Michael Wayne Bratton: “Listen Kirby Smart is trying to run Alabama 2.0

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Finebaum is Scott Van Pelt 2.0 and it's not working..

• Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Finebaum looks like a pènis with ears.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How did Finebaum get this gig? He tries to be this Commando Commentator. Not sure how these guys get to make so much noise publicly.

• Options
  • Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We just need an offense! Defense is definitely bama 2.0, and getting whipped without an offense is bama 2.0 as well.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yes we need to evolve and we need to do it quickly because our offensive game plan is horrible. Fromm took a step back he is off and he has been off all season. We always grab five-star DBs we need to grab a couple five-star wide receivers

• Options
    diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with Paul (unfortunately)

And if Kirby is trying to be “Alabama 2.0,” is that really a bad thing?

ANSWER: No, but it's NOT WORKING, which is Paul's point.

UGA has won the SEC East three years in a row under Smart, and the Bulldogs reached the national championship game in 2017.

To Paul's point, UGA is recruiting with ALA, CLEM, OSU & LSU, but not (truly) in the NC picture.

It's a FACT, stop sugarcoating it.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Like it or not Finebaum, and other critics, and those of us on these boards know we underachieved offensively. I don't think it's smart to over react in a knee jerk way but steps need to be taken to correct the things that went wrong this year. Another year like this and KS knows what can happen.

We lost a five star recruit (Haselwood) to Oklahoma because of our off offensive philosophy. I believe we are going to miss out on signing an elite tight end this year. I don't know what the right steps are, but I'm not the one making 7 million a year. We need a good OC, and good position coaches. Is Coley the answer, I can't make that call. Maybe he gets another year and we bring in a bright analyst to work with him. I think Jake Fromm comes back, Beck gets the luxury of spending a year in the system before being thrown in the fire.

I don't think we're that far away, we need some tweaks, but not a total overhaul. JMO

• Options

We'll have an answer about 1 TE recruit today, after Theo Johnson announces his school of choice. I'd say that's the biggest reason Arik Gilbert chose LSU, better utilization of the TE position. Plus, he's fast enough to split out as a 6'5 255lb WR in LSU's Offense.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Amen Paul. I couldn't have said it better myself.

• Options
    edited December 2019

If the DAWGS miss out on Theo Johnson today, it's down to Darnell Washington as the elite TE UGA needs. As much as I've read on here about recruiting, those were the only 3 the DAWGS were targeting for the TE position. The commitment announcement for Theo Johnson is at 1:45 this afternoon, don't know what time zone it is.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agree a bit with most comments. But one note ref: the "class" UGA would like to represent. Answer Finebaum, disagree, debate, all that - that is the point of sport analysis after all. But to come to a blog and offer no more than a catty comment about the appearance of someone with whom you disagree is simply bad form. We're better than that. I think.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

First off, I trust Smart and would give him a 10 year extension today even given the disappointment.

The problem is adaptability and adjustments. I really haven't seen the Dawgs come back a "different team" in the 2nd half of a game (at least not in a positive way). That's unusual for highly successful coaches. You might get 3 TDs up on Bama, but you better watch out as they'll come back and wind up beating you. They've done that COUNTLESS TIMES. We have not. Saban will throw in a freshman QB in the 2nd half. Saban will adjust strategies on Offense and Defense.

But first, you need someone who will just take control of the Offense. We need a guy that is willing to compensate and admit when things aren't working and adjust on the fly. We need someone that is willing to create plays for a running QB and adjust schemes based on the players. Justin Fields should never have chosen Georgia. Period. We were trying to turn him into OUR model instead of changing our model to meet him and allowing him to excel using his strengths.

Look, the problem with Fromm is psychological. He doesn't trust our receivers and there's good reason for that. I don't know if it was a coaching issue or what, but you can't expect him to be confident in himself if you drop every pass that's thrown to you. He'll start compensating and making things worse.

Pickens was our only huge WR grab and he seems to need to be monitored more closely. We have a whole ton of 4 star WRs from 2017 and newer. Why is it that Cager (a 3 star originally) seemed to be the only one that could catch a ball? I mean, it's crazy. 2019 stats: Mark Webb (4 Star): 0 passes, Holloman (4 Star): 0 passes, Blount (4 Star): 1 pass, Jackson (4 Star): 5 passes, Bush (4 Star): 1 pass, etc.

What happened to those guys? It's as if nothing happened before 2019. Cager (33 passes) is a transfer this year, Wolf (13 passes) is a transfer this year, Pickens (37 passes) is a freshman and Blaylock (18 passes) is a freshman too. What am I missing here...

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These schools like Oklahoma, Ohio St., Baylor, and other prolific high scoring offenses just plug and play. Mayfield, Murray, now HUrts Heisman winners or finalist. Fields couldn't beat out Fromm(although he was never given a real game opportunity to even try to throw the ball around some) and now he's a Heisman finalist.

Why can't we have a good enough offensive system to just plug guys in and watch them become successful? Remember FLA in the 90's with Spurrier? We did beat OKL with Mayfield but so what, we had CHubb and Sony,(they chose to come back as seniors) and receivers that eventually got drafted. To pull off a BAMA 2.0 you have to have everything come together perfectly.

Does anyone believe OKL will have trouble scoring points when Hurts leaves? Not me. Will Ohio St. when Fields leaves? Not me. If Brady remains at LSU does anyone believe they will have problems scoring 35-40 points a game next season with a yet to be determined QB and a fresh receiver squad? Not me.

• Options
    MaconDawgMaconDawg Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Paul Finebaum at times sounds the fool. Not so much this time. We got what the powers that be wanted, a Saban disciple who unlike the real deal, is a bit stuck in the past offensively. Saban 2.0 appears to be Saban pre-Lane Kiffin running the offense. That pre-Lane ship at ALA hit the rocks and is not the way they play offense in 2019. HC Kirby Smart hopefully will re-route the ship. Which means having an OC who is not as predictable and cemented to the past - unfortunately a dinosaur past. To answer the query, is Saban 2.0 a bad thing? Unless one likes to have high quality talent get beat offensively, yes it is a bad thing. And if one makes $7M to make smart decisions, time to start making those decisions for the future and not be anchored to the past.