Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN's Finebaum: 'Kirby Smart is trying to run Alabama 2.0 and it’s not working'

Comments

• Options
    SWP04SWP04 Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

Finebaum is right on! The game is changing and even Saban recognized that. Kirby needs to do the same. Could it be that Pittman saw the writing on the wall? I mean why else would you go to Arkansas (the bowels of the SEC)?

The window is closing on our opportunity to be a NC team. Orgeron did it in 4 years - look how far LSU has come and I'm sure that our recruiting classes have been better than them over that span. How are we not elite like those guys.

I understand that you have to adjust to the talent that you have and what's available. Since South Carolina we have been waiting for our offense to break out, and it hasn't. At what point do you say this ain't working and we need to do something different?

Kirby Richt better figure it out and soon!

• Options
    JoefromWoodstockJoefromWoodstock Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Can people please admit that Kirby has had the benefit of coaching during what is the weakest SEC East Division in the past 20 years? He inherited a 10 win team full of talent and has had to coach against some of the worst Florida, Tenn, and South Carolina teams this millennium.

There is no question the recruiting has been vastly improved under his watch but honestly ask yourself what is Kirby's signature win? I think he only has one - the win against Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl. I don't want to hear about either ND games (2019 ND got blown out by Michigan and 2017 ND lost 42-8 to Miami (coached by Richt)). Auburn didn't have Kerryon Johnson in the 2018 SEC game and even though hes always beat Florida is that really an accomplishment these past few years? This year (2019) was Florida's best team in a long time and they still lost to everyone they played that was good and almost lost to Miami and Kentucky.

People need to be rational about Kirby and the UGA program as whole. Richt was fired because he couldn't get UGA over the hump and Kirby has done nothing to suggest otherwise. People will argue that the 2017 National Championship says otherwise but UGA had an incredibly easy schedule that entire season and was loaded with NFL talent that Kirby inherited (Richt would have been in the 2002/2003 playoffs if they were around).

Not a Richt apologist (it was time for a change for everyone), but the sensationalism that the UGA fans had about Kirby being the savior and Saban 2.0 was extremely premature and caused the backlash Finebaum and the national media are now sending our way.

Given the events of the last two days with the game, Pittman, Bobo, etc., - any guarantees it gets better next year? What if Fromm leaves? Lots of uncertainty as yet another season ends as it seemingly always has for us.

• Options
    DawgvilleDawgville Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

I am pretty sure that those that hired Kirby Smart to coach at UGA were not expecting Alabama 2.0 they wanted UGA 1.0 and compete for the occasional national championship. And I know that most of the fans that I interact with wanted to see us recruit at the same level as Alabama, Clemson, etc. and we have. But watching the offense struggle this year trying to run a system that even Nick Saban runs no longer was frustrating. We will have a hard time recruiting elite tight ends or wide receivers if all they can look forward to is blocking the vast majority of the time. Our hope is that Kirby will sign a super smart offensive mind (such as Joe Brady) and an offensive line coach that can recruit and develop lineman in the manner of Sam Pittman and let them bring our offense into this century and let them run it. The defense looks to be in great hands with Dan Lanning (and Kirby). There’s no reason why UGA cannot compete for national championships in the same manner as Alabama, Clemson, etc. We have the facilities, the funds and the best fans in the whole **** country. Sorry for being so long winded.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After the SECCG, Fromm stated he came out 100% healthy every week, prepared to help the team.. That could explain part of his sub par performance the last half of the season if it's true.

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

At least Saban always has a qb that can throw and receivers that can get open and catch

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is one time I wish we had the "old" comments section, where we could respond to comments directly. So much to, as they say now, "unpack here" from these comments. Let me try to respond to some of them. @SWP04, it took Ogeron 4 years to get to the playoffs. Kirby did it in two. We have been elite. We're still elite (being ranked #5 in the country qualifies as elite), we're just not playoff worthy in a 4-team playoff system (which still leaves me baffled as to why Kirby doesn't want to expand, but I digress).

Thank you, @DeppDogg , for your class and intelligence.

So @DAWGeyes, I can't speak to the veracity of the tweet you received, but fwiw, Fromm himself said after the game Saturday that he was 100 percent healthy entering every game he played this year. You make good points @RedDawg. People make fun sometimes at so-called "system players," guys who are just a product of their coaches systems. But what would we give for someone like that now at the controls of our systems, where we could plug anyone in at QB and know that they're going to be a success. Or at receiver. Or at running back.

As usual, @kirkhilles, your take is spot on. You aren't missing anything. I hadn't actually done the research, but I, too, wondered what happened to all the guys we signed after Kirby's first year but before this year (Webb, Landers, Bush, Blount, Holloman, Jackson). Yes, Holloman was kicked off the team and Webb got switched to defense, but if just one of those other guys steps up, we should have been decent. As you pointed out, our three best receivers this year were guys who weren't on the team a year ago and two of those three were still in high school. Even given our injury situation, that's embarrassing.

Here, here @diesel_7, Georgia fans need to stop "sugarcoating" things. With the exception of the coaches in the playoffs (and possibly Saban), I'm sure any coach in America would gladly take UGA's roster right now, as is. We recruit at the highest of levels (thanks, Kirby) yet for two years running, we have failed to make the CFP, even when most experts predicted that we would be there (thanks, Kirby). Meanwhile, Clemson and Oklahoma are making annual appearances, and make no mistake, Bama would have been there again, too, if Tua had not been injured. Kirby's talent matches all of those guys, yet we can't ever get over the hump, whether that's Alabama or LSU or, this year, South Carolina. Somewhere between National Signing Day and getting these kids on the field, there is an epic fail -- unless the recruiting gurus are completely off base.

• Options

Couldn't agree more, fighting through a shoulder injury, especially a QB, limits your range of motion. This just keeps sticking out though.. Why would he say 1 thing after the game, and that changes less than 2 days later.. Puzzling

• Options

You still can DallasDAWG..just click "quote"in the options at bottom of comment..vote up, vote down, off topic, quote and flag

• Options
    budlitedogbudlitedog Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

I also trust CKS. I trust that he has enough sense to realize his mistakes and does something about it. I am not so sure that hardheadedness can be overcome. GA lost the big tight end to Penn State. Why would he come to GA to be a blocker and not get thrown to. Just put a smaller lineman at tight end and run the ball off tackle and be in the same place next year. If a change is not made in offence philosophy, CKS might not be as happy at his allamata as he has been.

• Options
    FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

Pittman to Arkansas. Lanning to FSU. Coley stays.

Finebaum is right, Kirby ain't the guy

• Options
    latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA has been great recruiting lineman and Def …… The offense looked good using CMR players (he was always good at recruiting skill offensive players) Now CKS has to figure a way to get his own RBs/WRs/QBs in school and to stay in school

• Options
    GoDawgs123456GoDawgs123456 Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

I wonder if having Fields and Eason made Fromm better. Is there something, psychologically, with not having to worry about your job that causes a decline.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hey Fred, ah never mind.

• Options
    FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

If you disagree feel free to say so. That's what a discussion forum is for. I won't be offended

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

It would be nice to win it all. But 11-2 regular season with an appearance in the Conference Championship is not bad. Hopefully we can get back there next year. It was a surprising year in that we were able to do as well as we did with an offense that was suprisingly weak in both passing and running segments....against the better defenses. Leaves you scratching your head with so many four and five "star" players and not much punch to the offense.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It was sarcasm Fred, it's obvious you're not trying to start a discussion, just trolling. If I'm not mistaken you're a Bama fan, by the way IMO your boys are much better than 13th.

• Options
    UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

We surely need an offensive makeover ! Its time to really start fixing our problems. Im proud of our team. We need a offensive over haul ! New ideas, new playcaller, new philosophy. LSU changed, Alabama changed, its time for UGA to evolve!