Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football senior captain J.R. Reed not present at Senior Bowl

SystemSystem Posts: 10,421 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football senior captain J.R. Reed not present at Senior Bowl

NEW ORLEANS — Georgia football captain J.R. Reed was another surprise scratch for the Sugar Bowl, not present for the team’s practice on Saturday. Reed said at the College Football Awards Show earlier this month that he was playing, quoted as saying: “The Dawgs are playing and I’m still a Dawg,” The Bulldogs were

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Georgia football senior captain J.R. Reed not present at Senior Bowl"

Seriously, Mike? Who does the proofreading around here, Stevie Wonder?

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lawd have mercy!

GO DAWGS!

BEAT BAYLOR!

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Senior Bowl? No one takes their craft as seriously at Mike Griffith.

• Options
    WesttndawgWesttndawg Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore

Bring on Otis Reece. I could watch him hit people all day.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I had a feeling when Reed announced he was playing that it meant as about as much as D’Andre Bakers announcement last year.

oh well, I can only take him at his word about the minor injury.

• Options
    UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe we should just forfeit, because obviously some of these guys could care less about this game....Geez...Another bowl, another beat down?

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

You know for years I have fought against an 8 team playoff....I still don't believe that it's a good idea......Now....all of that said...there is something that has to be done about these major bowl games not hosting a playoff game......None of the teams (maybe with the exception of the group of five) wants to be there and every year the number of players sitting these games out have increased exponentially....The only way I know to prevent this is to have all 6 majors involved in the playoffs

• Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

LSU up by 35 at the half. So many UGA starters sitting this Sugar Bowl out. So many UGA fans burned last year by the team’s no-show. Low Sugar Bowl interest from UGA fans this year. Really second-guessing my Sugar Bowl tickets purchase right now.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Figures. If he’s not playing, send him home.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

According to the AJC, Walter Grant will also not be available. That's 10 front line players! There's not a team in America that wouldn't be devastated by such losses going up against a top 10 team!

Still, I'm a DAWG FAN! Rather than give up on the team, I'm excited about seeing the young guys get a start on the 2020 season. Rather than hoping for a loss so I'll having something to gripe about on DN for the next eight months like so many on this site, I'll wear my red and black with pride win or lose!

There's not a soul in America, even Tiger fans that would have predicted this season for LSU! Yet, this year they have the Coach of the Year, four All-SEC quality receivers, the best OL in the nation, and a Heisman winner. That could be UGA in 2020. It all starts January 1st!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Curious, but why aren’t we seeing the same level of attrition at the bowl by Alabama, Michigan, Florida, Auburn, Penn State, etc.

• Options
    rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have routed for Brian since he was a freshman. Was proud when he and J.R. Read announced they were playing. Thomas was also a hero. The bowls are legit Georgia Bulldog Team games. All players signed on to play in every game if the coaches called their name. Players are demanding to be "paid". Yet the training, the game and practice experience,services that sculpt their bodies into great football machines is not available at any price and costs the power five teams starts around $500,000 per player and goes up. Schools guarantee scholarships for team members for 4, 5 and sometimes 6 years. Even is injured, players will get their education paid.

I am sorry and will probably PO some of the more "woke' out there but if a player refuses to play they are no longer are part of the team. All benefits, grants and other perks should end. No access to the weight room, medical facilities, nada. When signing grant & aid scholarship- do they still call it that- these issues should be carefully explained. Any player can leave the team and even transfer, no problem. But benefits must cease if absence is voluntary. It is refreshing to see Kirby has had a change of heart this year and such players will not dress out. But they should not be with the team at all. Not have use of any facility open only to team members No expenses to anywhere should be paid for tutors, advisors other than that available to any student.

I am not optimistic such issues must be addressed by the schools and NCAA and they have no stomach for such. I am sorry to say the college game we all loved will soon be no more.

PS Please do not raise the injury issue. In football, since grade school level ball, have numersous injuries every year, a very small percentage for life. But, more athletes are injured going to and from the games or from outside activities. Every year, former college football athletes are injured preparing for the invitational post season bowl games or for the several evaluational tryout programs More are injured in the activities. Life is hazardous. There are no guarantees.

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

These players have done their jobs for UGA. If the bowls are not playoff games they really don't matter. No player with 1-3rd draft grades should play in them. Time to do away with these meaningless games.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

That has crossed my mind too.....Makes one kinda think that players are wanting to get out of there as quickly as possible

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Players who opt out should be billed for the costs for the semester. Seems fair to me. If you are injured, you are excused. Otherwise, you have not lived up to your scholarship commitment. Same for suspended players.

• Options
    sutherngasuthernga Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

This has become a BAD pattern under Kirby. I haven't heard not nearly as many players sitting out unlike the other teams' players are going to play in their bowl game. This says a lot about Kirby. As I stated before, Kirby should have won the National Championship when it was laid at his feet. Now, you didn't hire a SERIOUS offensive coordinator after Chaney left nor did he keep 1 of the state of georgia's best quarterbacks, in Justin Field, because you want to stay loyal to a quarterback that's not going to get you any closer to winning a National Championship. I would be surprised IF we beat Baylor. I have ZERO expectations that we will. I am willing to eat crow on this. WE ARE GOING TO SEE IF KIRBY WILL BE WORTH THE MONEY WE PAYING HIM.