Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

National Anthem etiquette....

1235»

Comments

• Options
    SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't be ridiculous. Nobody said anything like that. But I have the right to protest your decision, boycott whatever business you might be in, call you out in public, terminate your employment if you happen to work for me or call for your termination if you don't....consequences. I don't have to support your expression of dissent.

• Options
    Stingray2112Stingray2112 Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2020

No, people don't have the right to "get the crap kicked out of them." I think you'll find that assaulting someone is a violation of people's rights.

As for what you said, I quote "Too many people have died protecting our rights.....I'm from the love it or leave it school of thought." I took that to mean either love the country of leave it. Did you mean something else?

• Options

Is this really bothering you that much?

Pretty straight forward statement that I happen to believe. Yeah, why stay somewhere you hate? Go try another county if it's so horrible here & see how that goes.

• Options
    JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 428 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But... many communities are living in it. Still suffering the paradigm that so blatantly revealed itself in the past. only now, it’s covert. Baked into policies and procedures.

there’s no “past” for marginalized communities. Those communities are still dealing with the impacts of having less opportunities and equal rights.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,175 mod
  • Options

Probably is time to shut this puppy down. This has gone off the rails. Back to sports @Kasey

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Guys, this is getting off track a bit. the intent was not to discuss should you or shouldn't you. It was simply to educate. There is a protocol. I see people all the time trying to respect the process, but don't seem to know the details. If you are trying to do it correctly, my first post explains how to do it.

Hand on heart, even if you are holding a hat (your hat does not go over your heart). Military folks not in uniform have the option to stand at attention or salute.

Face the flag. If no flag is present, then face the direction of the music.

Remain as still as possible. No dancing, swaying, looking around.

Oh...and remain in position till the song is completely over. Sometime people start whistling and clapping at the beginning of the last verse.

Sing, don't sing....that is up to you.

If you are going to do it, do it correctly.

• Options
    Stingray2112Stingray2112 Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2020

Yeah, this sort of thing does bother me. The difference between you and me though is that I believe you have the right to think the way you do without the threat of violence or harassment. (I'm referencing your "kick the crap" comment.)

We don't have to agree but we need to fully respect each other's right to disagree and live together peacefully.

That's the last I'll post about this.

• Options
    Huntindawg81Huntindawg81 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You older Marines sound like straight Garrison guys. Different generation i guess. I sing it every time and will continue to do so, makes my heart skip a beat. My wife sang it at the PBR in Raleigh, instant tears. Was i wrong for recording her? You guys are too uptight about "etiquette". Not everyone was in the military and taught bearing or proper form for anything. Yall really have to quit being so nit picky and realize civilians are different than guys who spent years in 100% uniformity. One thing that gets under my skin about the veteran community, "thank me for my service you disgusting civilian".

• Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

2nd Force Recon Company and 3rd Recon Battalion...The opposite of garrison.

Edit - I don't thank anyone for their service and when someone thanks me for my service I tell them the Marine Corps already did that by paying for my college.

I despise that BS, and I have 3 in laws on active duty in the Navy who I openly call pogues and have utter disdain for bc they're weak. One is an MP too, so he can kiss my rectum.

I hate pogues.

• Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

May 99 - Dec 03

This discussion has been closed.