Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Allowed to root for UGA?

Comments

• Options
    ziggyholidayziggyholiday Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love my state and my state school. Nuff said.

I’m thinking about doing the online masters degree in business tech from UGA though.

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The “rule” of needing to graduate to be a fan was invented specifically for Alabama fans. Way too many crazy unintelligent folks running around this past decade boasting success that they personally had nothing to do with.

You can be a fan for many reasons. My wife went to UT but she’s been all Georgia for a while because I teach her about the players and she always looks good in red and black.

• Options
    MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To qualify as a fan, you at least need to have attended a game.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have a son who graduated from UF but bleeds Red and Black and only roots for UGA. Had UGA bed stuff in his UF dorm. He actually has people that tell him he has to root for UF. He tells them Nah. Have another son who graduated from UCF and Nova Southeastern. He roots fro UGA and UCF.

• Options
    truepingtrueping Posts: 360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NOPE. NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT!! H.E.L.L. NO!!! If you didn't graduate from UGA, you cannot be a bulldog fan!!! Just kidding :) Any one with the good sense and superior intelligence to root for Georgia is certainly entitled to be called a BULLDOG FAN!!!

• Options
    UgajayUgajay Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

That's ridiculous. The only time I say that is when poking at a guy I work with who is a flarda fan. He always tell me I should go to the hot place below. Nobody cares who graduated from where

• Options
    Olddawg83Olddawg83 Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is still America. Freedom.

You should never have to listen to that kind of nonsense. I have two degrees from UGA. And yet, please know there are clowns who tell folks like me I should pull for the school that is closer to my home, rather than my alma mater located in Athens Georgia. Ain’t going to happen.

Folks who are telling you that nonsense just don’t understand. Some of the most loyal and rabid Dawg fans may not have attended UGA. Doesn’t matter. What matters is that you support the Dawgs in good times and bad. That’s what makes you a Georgia fan, not a diploma on your wall.

The University of Georgia is going to be my team until the last day I’m alive on this earth. And if by the Good Lord’s mercy and grace I make it to the promised land, I hope I’m wearing Red and Black when I get there.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think you're a little light on the estimation. Having had the (cough) pleasure of working all over that state for 3yrs I think it's closer to 99% & a big chunk of those didn't make it out of high school. I always found the we/us VS them/they argument amusing. I've always said "we" and feel even more confident in using it since I paid 10s of thousands of dollars in tuition....certainly that bought a couple of chairs or a pallet of sod somewhere on campus. We live & die, plan weddings & kids with our teams in the south...I say do what makes you happy & screw em if "they" don't like it.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I once considered a job in Alabama but the people there were so insistent I tell them whether I liked Auburn or Alabama it was a huge downer. They didn't seem to get it that I like the school which awarded me my initial college degree, Georgia. Did then, do now, always will.

Saying one should be a graduate to cheer on the Dawgs is insane. I suppose it means current students ought to stay home on gameday?

In this photo there are no graduates (not even high school) yet it's a typical group preparing themselves to attend games in The Swamp. Normal as apple pie in Gator World.

• Options
    NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

I graduated from Georgia Southwestern State in Americus. Been a fan since 99. I will say that every time I step on campus it’s like I have a sign that hangs over me that says I didn’t graduate from UGA. But my money is accepted.

i would venture to say that the vast majority of these people don’t even work in the field of study that they got their degree in.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I heard you had to play for the team. That means no womin can root for football and most "men" can't either. Lady Dawgs? You better be a lady athlete, or work in Bangkok...

• Options
    NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m saying Joel got his degree from Lagrange in cosmetology

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Obviously everyone is "allowed" to root for whomever they like. This isn't Russia. (Is this Russia?)

On the other hand, I always assumed UGA fans fell into one of three distinct categories:

1. You attended the university. (Graduation is irrelevant.)
    2. You grew up in Georgia and support UGA as the state's flagship university.
    3. A family member went to UGA (parent, spouse, or child) and you became a fan because of them.

Does that about cover it? Am I missing another major category?

• Options
    jwithnelljwithnell Posts: 120 ✭✭✭ Junior

If you spent most of your life saying "up in Athens" you're qualified to be a Dawgs fan. (Georgia Southern here. Little known fact, when that school started its football program it tried to show student support by holding an election. We voted no and I never changed over to being an Eagles fan, though I did run into Erk Russell when he first moved to the 'Boro. That was kinda cool.)

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I used to spend alot in the Boro when my then-GF was enrolled there. Drank a bunch of margaritas out of sombreros at "El Sombrero" or as everybody called it, The Hat. Her last year we went down to the swamp when GSU beat the gators. Good times.

• Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly I am dyin here! Where did you get your degree?!?