Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Allowed to root for UGA?

13»

Comments

• Options
    skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This sis an interesting thread ...thanks all for contributing and being GA fans !

Go Dawgs ..

4 years at UGA .. 80-84 ... BSA.

HBTFD !

• Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Down here in Bainbridge we deal with a bunch of brainless FSU fans, so I tend to ask when they graduated. But otherwise it doesn’t matter to me. My hubby as y’all know went to Tech but grew up a Georgia fan as all of his siblings and parents got degrees from Georgia. Hubby cheers for Georgia and watched every game with me.

• Options
    NomadDawgNomadDawg Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was "sooner" thrown in as a hint? Quick response, which is worse, longhorns or gators?

• Options
    HouzdawgHouzdawg Posts: 340 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I thought it was meatchicken

They have a great school kinda like Harvard of the north. Their usual fan can’t even get in

• Options
    edited January 2020

Ooooh nooooo! Well...you are still a valued member of Dawgnation, JSK!

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WAZZU grad, class of 92. Love my Dawgs!

One thing I have noticed about most SEC fanbases compared to P12 is that out west if you didn't go to college, you really don't follow college football. Around the Florida Panhandle, heck most of the Auburn and Bama fans couldn't spell "college" but they will absolutely stab you if you disparage their team.

• Options
    dawgfantipdawgfantip Posts: 259 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2020

I had a child young and did the work three jobs thing. Went back to good old Lanier tech to get ahead a bit. I think i am as much and as good of a UGA fan as anyone out there. I know alumni/"fans" of more than one college team whose flags/hats/shirts find themselves in a closet when the team is not competitive. One thing i can promise is if the Dawgs are 0-12 with steve urkel starting at QB i'll still wear my red and black with head held high into anyplace in Knoxville, Auburn, or the other gainesville.

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Went to GA Southern long before Erk Russell brought football back. UGA is the flagship U in GA so I have been a fan for well over half a century. I got drafted in 3/1968 (when I should have been a Senior at GSU) and was sent to Vietnam in 9/1968. I had GEORGIA sewn onto the front of my boonie cap and BULLDOGS on the back. If that doesn’t qualify me to be a Bulldawg fan, then what does?

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pocoyo is correct. Georgia did not have an architecture school and GT was never going to get a nickel from my family.

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm a UGA grad and fan, but also pull for UND in hockey just because I staffed a clinic in Grand Forks one week a month for a year. A fan is a fan regardless the reason. Go Dawgs! Go Sioux!

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was also Chief Resident in Dermatology at LSUMC, not much of a fan of LSU. Better than Clemson for me.

• Options
    dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Born in GA. Graduated college in Alabama. Live in GA now. Lifelong UGA fan.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

I feel you; you should’ve seen my dad’s face when I accepted a proposal of marriage from a Tech grad...😳

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’d be real interested in seeing a screenshot of someone saying what you claim has been said. I am very skeptical and suspect you may have either misunderstood the context, or twisted what was said to mean something different.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that all UGA students, previous attendees, and graduates welcome the positive support of the school and athletics programs from any and all who wish to offer their positive support. On the other hand, if you are one of those who are constantly negative and bash the players, coaches, etc then, yeah, you can expect to get called out because everyone knows nothing irritates the NEGAFANS more than having their loyalty and provenance as a fan called in to question. That’s been the case since internet chat boards were started back in the 90’s.

@MackDawg I don’t know that I’ve ever heard a graduate or student use the term “sidewalk fan.” I belief the correct term is “sidewalk alumni.” 👍

Aren’t all students at UGA on academic scholarship? Parents today might send a lot of money to private property management companies for apartments, local businesses for food and entertainment, or the privately held bookstores on Baxter. I thought the State covered the actual tuition, which means everyone gets to share in claiming the cost of keeping the grass cut and buildings painted, same as you can claim your proud share of any government facility.

• Options
    corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I graduated from a school that is in the University system of Georgia. Can I be a fan?

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

Wonder what one's fan classification would be if you took only online classes and never actually set foot on a campus? Or even the state of Georgia? If it hasn't happened already I'm sure it will soon.

As for me, I'm a mongrel. Mom went to UGA and on her side of the family we've had 5 generations. Dad went to...Yech. Was never a thought for me. I was accepted to UGA but I wanted to go somewhere different than half my graduating class and had another family connection to a small private college. Frankly I would have failed out or worse in Athens and not because of lack of intelligence.

So another category would be people who went to a school without a viable football team. My school was D2 at the time and really only elderly alums followed the team closely. It being the south, everyone followed their family/home state team. A couple of my buddies are pretty big Clemson donors(in NO last night) and you'd never guess they graduated from a private school. I had friends of most fan bases.

The fact is, unless you want to be like the alums at my school and root for a team no one has heard of or cares about in a glorified high school stadium, you probably shouldn't be so picky about who you let a be a fan. But like someone said above: snobs gonna snob. And the newly rich are often the ones who are the snobbiest.