Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves choose the cheap route... again...

Comments

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t think the Braves have given up on Austin Riley yet.

Seems to me that by the time Waters and Pache are in the outfield with Ronnie, Austin Riley will be established as our 3rd baseman.

• Options
    SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cudda kept Culberson for dirt cheap & he was Charlie Clutch....loved that guy.

Seems like they're building for couple more wins when they should be building for the playoffs & not getting bounced in the 1st round again

• Options
    SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

Ah, thanks. Last I heard they were cutting him loose but obviously haven't been keeping up on braves news. Been obsessing over the dawgs but glad we kept him.

Least they cudda done for taking a ball to the face

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yasiel Puig is worth a flyer before they trade away valuable prospects. He can be had on the relative cheap, and probably for 1-2 years. We need a cleanup hitter more than a 3B.

• Options
    DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd like to see this guy in atl

• Options
    DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Also, besides resigning Culberson, Braves have made some pitching moves that look to be with playoffs in mind. Donaldson's D and 2nd half of season batting was key to getting us to post season, but I'm not sold on having to repeat that to get us there again and do better once we're there.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was the years, not the money that was the issue. It appears that the Twins were the only team to give the 4th guaranteed. Saw on reddit at the breakfast that the Braves do for A list members that AA said they're not operating with the mindsight that the DH is coming.

I think if there was a DH, they'd have been more willing to give in on year 4.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great player and I'm sure they could make the money work, but apparently Colorado would require at least two of our top prospects (some combination of OF Cristian Pache, OF Drew Waters, RHP Ian Anderson, RHP Kyle Wright) and the Braves aren't willing to do that.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

...as they shouldn't...

As constructed today, Freddie hits .278 with 24 homers and A WHOLE BUNCH OF WALKS, and we get to watch Duval or Markakis or Camargo hit into 27 double plays...

• Options
    TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Every top-tier playoff contender has at least 3 ace starting pitchers. Just look at the teams that have won the WS lately. We currently have 1 in Soroka, possibly 2 if Folty, Newcomb, or Fried breaks out. As much as I’d love to see us bolster the lineup, I feel that we also need another ace if we want to win in the postseason.

• Options
    edited January 2020

No doubt. We need a veteran ace to anchor the rotation, like Maddux did when he came on board in the 90's. But it won't happen under Liberty. In the 90's we outbid the Yankees for Maddux's services. To my knowledge we were not even in the mix for Gerrit Cole this off-season. Both cases involved the best pitcher in baseball in the prime of his career. Different ownership, different outcome.

• Options

Well, if we won't pay Donaldson $24 mil a year, I don't see an "ace" showing up anytime soon...

• Options

I did hear that Carlos Beltran is available for outfield depth if we want to go that route...

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can't give up multiple prospects of that caliber to then potentially only get 2 years of control (opt out after 2021) and still be paying $30+ mill/yr. Just can't do it.

• Options
    TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kris Bryant is still the obvious choice for the Braves at 3B. He could replace Donaldson in the lineup and the Cubs are gonna lose him or Baez any way. May as well get something now.

I had a bad feeling with Donaldson. I like watching the guy play and bring it every day but his price could have put a big stink in the locker room. Imagine Acuna thinking this dude is getting what I am getting in 4 yrs instead of 10 yrs. Albies could think the same thing....while I hate losing him, it was the right move moving forward. One of the reasons this team is so fun to watch is the chemistry these guys bring to the dugout.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Matt9975Matt9975 Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

The Braves Way continues.

• Options

Heard them discussing it on 680 The Fan in Atlanta, with input from the Braves beat reporter. Basic gist was that the Rockies were probably asking too much, but if a deal could be done it would require Colorado to pay all or part of the 2020 salary and for Arenado to agree to an extension (or at least void that opt out @PTDawg mentioned.)