Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What Georgia football does at quarterback in 2021 recruiting cycle will speak loudly about program's

SystemSystem Posts: 10,516 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageWhat Georgia football does at quarterback in 2021 recruiting cycle will speak loudly about program's future

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Brock Vandagriff or Caleb Williams at the quarterback position in 2021 recruiting class for Georgia football Up

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Elite QBs are the foundations of elite recruiting classes. I'm for whichever is the most accurate passer that can escape trouble and get the ball downfield, a la Burrow. There will be no shortage of runners at RBU. The main thing is for one of these guys to commit and help start building the class.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2020

Brock Vandagriff rush for 1001 yards during his sophomore season but they have him as a pro style qb? He moves around in the pocket like Joe Burrow. 

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Watched a considerable amount of video on both. Talent wise I don’t think Georgia could go wrong with either. Vandergriff labeled as a pro style qb is a little confusing because he is definitely a threat to do either very well. One of these guys is a slight more proficient passer and the other is a little better runner. Hard to determine their pre snap read capability but I think Georgia should offer both equally and whichever one commits to Georgia first be done with it.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems Carson Beck is being overlooked.. Not quite as talented as Williams, or Vandagriff, but the young man was talented enough to gain a scholarship at UGA..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    Ugagolf80Ugagolf80 Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Smart has to recruit all the best players at every position, QB included. You can't assume the top choice will come to UGA. You have to have more than one guy targeted in case your top choice goes elsewhere. Smart knows this. We'll be fine.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2020

Williams of course......dual is the future....Let's make our best case and see what happens........of course take a look at Vandagriff but I don't think he would be a good fit...I still say give Beck the benefit of the doubt and let him compete for the job....that said his senior season really raised a lot of eyebrows

• Options
    dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

People need to go watch his film. He moves like Burrow. He is no statue back there like Fromm was. He moves and avoids pressure extremely well and can run it too. Either would be a great fit for UGA and either would allow for the QB to be a part of the RPO game running the football.

• Options
    dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

Did you watch any of his tape? He moves like Burrow of LSU did. Tell me how that isn't enough?

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This could go either way for me. If we pursue Williams, we could open up the offense more for a dual threat type. Like qb runs, more actual RPO, design roll outs, etc. If we pursue vandagriff, we could go to more spread and take bigger shots down field while he stands in the pocket. And runs/scrambles when he has to avoid pressure. But that's where kirby needs to figure out the real path he wants uga to go. Also with vandagriff, kirby could go back to "locking down the state", or trying to at least.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The modern college QB must be mobile, not necessarily a Dual Threat. If we take another high profile QB in 2021, one or two of the QBs currently on scholarship will enter the portal-guaranteed.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I will say that I liked that tweet that Vandagriff put out.....no talking about how great OU was and how he was devastated to be de-committing...No talk about how he had hours of one on one talks with god about his decision....Just a simple statement

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m sure Brock’s bailing on Oklahoma had to do in a large part with the distance from home, but I’m also confident that Spencer Rattler (Sooner’s pre-season Heisman candidate) only playing in 3 games this past season helped the decision. Rattler has 4 years of eligibility remaining because he was able to redshirt and the other QB (Mordecai) has 3 years left.. Sounds like Oklahoma has a situation like UGA had a year ago so Brock may not have seen the field. Also, I have concerns that Brock has put up great statistics, but he plays in the class 1A (private school) division.....the smallest region in Georgia. On the flipside, Caleb plays for Gonzaga HS in Washington DC which is a big time program. With this said, our buddy Herschel Walker played for a small HS and the last time I looked he did pretty well in college. My vote is to recruit both and take the first one to show us the love and commit. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sometimes it's like the people that do the classifications base Dual vs. Pro on skin pigmentation. Burrow was classified as a pro-style coming out of HS by the 247 composite.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd lean toward going after the guy with the "it" factor. Who plays the best when the game is on the line. There are loads of QB's coming out of HS who can spin the ball, but who is going to fight to the last second with an undeterred will to won and pull off some magic? Give me that guy.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looks like UGA coaches are recruiting out-of-state more & more each year. One of the main points of the UGA job is the location to an incredible in-state rich talent pool. Tennessee built a national championship team in the '90's by recruiting Georgia; Auburn did it in 2010, & Clemson & Alabama have done it several times in the last 6-8 years. ALL of these mentioned teams have done this with GEORGIA HS RECRUITS.

Richt did not consistently recruit Georgia, but when he did he came close to winning it all. Greene & Pollack were from GA (Richt inherited them) early on as well.

Think about it... Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence, Fields, sCam Newton, all came from Georgia.

Answer to your question: Recruit Vandagriff & if Williams isn't afraid of competition, then it shouldn't make much difference to him. History says that UGA would be just fine with an in-state QB.

P.S. Also, don't use the 'expert' recruiting services to build your team, but evaluate them with your own eyes.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Much can transpire twixt the cup and the lip the saying goes. Vandagriff came home so to speak...20 miles from Sanford Stadium....home seems to mean something to the boy....OK was not home. I believe that puts UGA closer to him as a commit. Williams is being heavily courted by LSU...tough to beat. The top program now in the nation. Burrow is gone. But Williams is showing interest in UGA as well....daily messages from the Dawg coaches. I would pursue both and try and commit both...even though UGA said Williams was the only QB for them. Always have options. Kirby's been around...he knows the drill....keep all your options open..much can happen between now and then. Who knows....Carson Beck may be the top signal-caller by then?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just read back-up QB Chas Brice of Clemson may or has jumped into the cramped transfer portal. Clemson never started him except for one game and he did fairly well. I believe he is one of those brides maids and never a bride types. Why would UGA be interested?

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Burrow was a 2 star recruit when he left high school, couldn't see the field at Ohio State, transfers to LSU. First year, had a 9-4 season, then with a new QB coach named Joe Brady, he won the Heisman, he passed for 60 TD's, he ran for 5 TD's, he won the SEC Championship, and to put icing on the cake he won the National Championship. Hollywood should make a movie of this story.