Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Will the new XFL last more than one season

Comments

• Options
    TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Theres a good chance it collapses like the others, but I just want to throw my take into the ring. I think this league is amazing for football players who spend their entire life trying to get to the NFL but can’t quite make the cut. It could be life changing for a lot of those guys. For that reason and for the love of football, I’ll do my best to support this league and I encourage others to do the same.

also, side note: I love that it’s not during the NFL season so it isn’t necessarily trying to jump in as a direct competitor.

• Options
    BiggDawgg63BiggDawgg63 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Except for those guys who get injured on a $50,000 salary. No elite therapy departments or world class NFL trainers. You are screwed if you get injured. Even minor tweaks and nagging knicks and bruises will accumulate over a few games and result in big player attrition.

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I watched the Roughnecks game earlier and it was pretty entertaining. Liked it alot better than AAF. Interested to see how Aaron Murray and the TB Vipers do tomorrow.

• Options

Really! I got a vote down because I’m a homer. Be a man or woman and have the B@ll’S to put log in names with your VD’s! I haven’t given a single VD since I got in this forum if ever see something so egregious I want to give a VD I will put my name with it! Now I’ll get off the stump and see if any one else feels the way I do. Sorry ladies for the B@ll’S comment.

• Options

I’m looking forward to seeing our boy A.Murray today. Hope he’s the starter.

• Options

Bulldawg1982 I gave you a vote up for the A. Murray comment I always liked him. He’s a DGD.

• Options
    Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hate to say but Murray didn't look too good today...

• Options
    volatilisvolatilis Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, hopefully it was just a bad day for the whole team. Lots of drops as well.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

The games have to be better than the one I watched today. There were some interesting and bold tweaks and rule changes. The uniforms were ügly, but that's not a big deal I suppose.

Of course, not all college or NFL games are good either. Uniforms, same.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm primarily a college fan, as in Dawgs fan. But I still enjoy the NFL especially the playoffs and Super Bowl. But at some point, you reach a saturation point.

After 12 reg-season Dawg games, SEC Championship, Bowl Games, and a protracted NFL season that carries into February, I'm ready for a break from football. Never had much interest in any of the other leagues: AAF, XFL, Arena. In fact, I don't think I saw a single play from the AAF.

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I enjoyed the games this weekend. The games were quicker and it has an old school, minor league feel. Which I like. The players were pumped for the opportunity, and some of them will def get invites to NFL camps. The fans seemed to be into it, especially the NY game. Can’t be too critical of the first week of games with a new league. Happy for the players and coaches. I was entertained. Hope it sticks!

• Options
    SniperdawgSniperdawg Posts: 39 ✭✭✭ Junior

Being that the XFL season begins after the NFL season comes to a close, and therefore not directly competing against the NFL, it should have a better chance of making it. I for one love the sport, and would much rather watch football over basketball any day of the week. Now if it comes down to where I have to choose watching spring college football games or the XFL, I’m choosing spring college football. But then again, they have DVR so that I can watch both.

I did watch a fair portion of the Vipers game to see Murray play, but he had a bit of a rough day. Maybe next game he shakes the rust off.

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod
    edited February 2020

I watched the Tampa game and a little bit of the games on Saturday and I enjoyed it overall. I really liked being able to listen in on the Refs discussing the penalties and turnovers. Also the replay is a lot better as you get to hear what the reviewer is looking for. They need some better camera angles for sure though.

Tampa looked terrible though. Murray was having some issues for sure. He would make a great throw and follow it up with a terrible decision and pick. Not sure he will be the starter next week.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I want to like it more than I do. Maybe it will grow on me.

• Options

I liked the New York and St. Louis uniforms.

• Options
    LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel the same way. I did catch some of the games. I do like some of the rule tweaks, and getting to listen in on the coach and ref discussions. I like the kickoff thing, and I find the PAT options interesting as well. I’d like to see how those choices play out over a whole season.

• Options
  • Options

I liked this uniform the best.

• Options
    dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

I liked the games this week. There was a lot to like: the kickoffs, the faster pace of play, the mic refs and coaches, the extra point (although I never saw anyone for for 2 or 3). I would like to have seen one additional rule. I think one of the most exciting plays in football is the kickoff returns at the end of the game with all the laterals. I have also played a lot of flag football.

I would like to see a rule where laterals that go at least 5 yds in the air are dead when they hit the ground. This would still allow for fumbles, but give the players the ability to lateral without the risk of a fumble.

If an injured player has to have play stopped that player team should have to play 1 man down the next play. It might stop players form acting like they are hurt to slow play.

If a player is ejected for unsporting behavior like throwing a punch the team should play a man down on that side of the ball for the rest of the game.

Just a couple of rules I would like to see implemented.

Overall play was okay, but they played hard and I think it will get better. I will continue to watch when there i nothing else on. No team in this area will make it hard to get behind a team. For now it is just the few former UGA players that were playing.