Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Covid-19

Comments

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, potential 80% infection rate globally and 3% death rate of those infected. We have all seen those stats thrown around. That's over 168 million deaths. How's that for a dire prediction? That would be about 8.4 million deaths in the USA alone.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

You saw this on a legitimate, far-reaching, mainstream news site/show?

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You just keep doing you, bro. Consistent hypocrisy. All you’ve said is be calm and cautious?

Among other things, in this thread you have said:

”The only hysteria is coming from the deniers...”

and

“We're on the way to being the next Italy I'm sorry to say.”

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is true. We will have to compare transmission rates in other countries, and the steps they took, and the context of the environment, and all sorts of those variables and see how best to move forward.

• Options
  • Options
    armeckarmeck Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

No idea why you put pandemic in quotes, but it speaks more to the breadth of the infections rather than the severity.

• Options

The same thing was said about the Swine Flu in 2009. In the end, while it is estimated that 24% of the World’s population acquired the Swine Flu strain, the mortality rate eventually settled in at .02%, which was 5 times lower than the regular flu’s mortality rate of .1%.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Because people seem to be fixated on the term "pandemic". Just wanted to point out that the Swine Flu was a pandemic, just like this one. It sounds terrifying, but like you said it only refers to the spread of an illness, not the severity. I think people believe a pandemic means a potential zombie apocalypse.

• Options

Laughable. You are getting DV’d to oblivion, not deleted by the mods. I didn’t DV you, either. Maybe try posting more rational thoughts?

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know some of these posts are missed and ancient history as this thread grows in pages (currently page 13), so bumping up a friendly reminder on the topic of the reported mortality rates some are citing here in this discussion: they are calculated on confirmed (tested) cases only. 3% is indeed a scary # compared to the regular flu; but the reality is that the majority of people who are exposed to the virus may be asymptomatic or manifest minor symptoms only, assume it for the regular flu and not seek out a test.

For example - because the majority of people experiencing flu-like symptoms don't typically seek medical attention, the CDC estimates the total # of cases to calculate mortality rates of regular flu:

Reports are generally only citing confirmed (tested) cases which are skewing the mortality calculations.

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with much of the article you shared, @armeck - it speaks to how rapidly new information is available, but it's worth noting that the WHO has indeed classified COVID-19 as a pandemic:

• Options

Yep, and this post will also likely be conveniently ignored by the Ivy leaguer and “sky is falling” crowd

• Options
    Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior

Truth hurts, boomer. Your generation is immune from taking responsibility.

• Options

You're just a political hack. You haven't posted anything rational and have distorted everyone's words that don't fit your worldviews. The death rate is likely lower than 3.4% overall. Probably somewhere between 1-2% with the elderly and immunocompromised being hit hardest. Is your stance that high risk people dying is not a big deal? Does this virus becoming so widespread that it becomes endemic and we'll have to deal with it every year not concern you? Or is it all just fake news?

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That was nasty. I saw it kill multiple healthy 30-40 year olds. That was a more lethal disease, but I don't think it was as contagious. It's the contagiousness of the corona virus that's got everyone so worked up. That's what grabbed my attention anyways. That and it's new. The Flu has been around. People have seen the flu before, their bodies have had some type of it before. Combine that with frequent vaccination and the public is better prepared to fight it off.

This discussion has been closed.