Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Covid-19

Comments

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Understood - at some point, any healthcare system has its tipping point.

Is your argument that the US healthcare system isn't good economically/cost-wise, or are you saying that the quality of healthcare provided isn't good? I would argue those are two different things.

I forget who mentioned it but would agree that the hidden danger of public panic (media-aided or not) is the surge of people showing up to ERs and demanding limited COVID tests overwhelming clinics and healthcare systems because they've been whipped up into a frenzy by media outlets who are motivated by clicks. Diversion of healthcare resources have a real impact on lives who may not have COVID themselves.

• EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

I really hope you are not in the medical field..Because your comments are extremely ignorant..

• Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior

Despite what Fox News tells you... the media is here to inform, not make you feel good/bad about who you voted for. Facts don’t care about your feelings.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just want to point out you're getting mad at Democrats over a situation you made up. Also responding early doesn't have to be freezing international travel.

• armeckarmeck Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

The fatality rate of swine flu was around 0.02%. This is about 25 times that. So if the same number of people were infected with COVID-19, there would be 12.5 million deaths worldwide and 300k in the US.

• UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have been reading all of the posts on this forum about this topic and I choose to not live my life in fear. Some may say I’m an “ostrich”, “uninformed”, “callous”, etc. To that I say, I’ve been called worse.

The fact is that when the good Lord decides it’s our time to go, it isn’t going to matter where we are or what we are doing. He has a plan for all of us, and I welcome whatever He has in store for me.

• Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2020
  • armeckarmeck Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2020

It's not coincidental that the most ardent of supporters of the Trump are also more likely to be downplaying the pandemic.

I wasn't gonna go too heavy on Trump criticism but since we're there, he also cut a program in the USAID that discovered and monitored zoonotic viruses around the world. In an unprecedented move he's classified meetings on COVID-19 to restrict the flow of information to the public in an attempt to control political messaging. This has hurt our ability to respond because most health experts don't have security clearance to attend these meetings so they can't help shape a response in a timely manner. I can't stress enough how bad it is to withhold info from the general public, healthcare providers, and public health workers during an ongoing pandemic.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020
  • RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry, but that ain't true at all. The indigent get everything they want don't pay a cent. I see it everyday. In fact, from my POV they have it better than the middle class who has to empty the savings when they get severely ill.

Now you are correct in stating that hospitals in rural areas are having trouble staying open. Maybe the above has something to do with it.

This discussion has been closed.