Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting. 3,000 ICU beds in NYC for a population of 8.5 million seems low. I'm sure they have whatever amount is required by state/federal law or regulation...but it still seems low.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

Lots of tragic stories with this. Lots of heroes everywhere that we will never hear about. Thankful for the nameless heroes who are making us safer.

Quiet, beautiful day here. Got a pic of this guy from a few days ago. Pretty sure I won't have to social distance from him in about a week, so that's a positive. Saturday is actually youth day, so if I can talk my 16 yr old into getting out of the bed, we may go listen to him gobble at daylight... About a 8% chance of her complying.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No kidding. Sounds ridiculously low. Not sure how true it is but I read somewhere that there are only 300,000 beds for the whole country. That sounds really low to me also.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"New York has roughly 54,000 total hospital beds, and 3,100 ICU beds. The New York City region, defined as New York City along with Westchester, Rockland, Orange and Putnam counties, has 36,000 beds and 2,100 ICU beds, according to the New York State Department of Health."

Well I misread the regular beds, so sorry about that. I also gave ICU beds for the entire state instead of just NYC.

• BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Potential Indicator of Virus Without Test!!!!

As I posted yesterday, both my Dr and my Mother’ Dr have tested positive. They are stable and quarantined at home.

In speaking with them, both indicated that they had LOST their SENSE of SMELL. This may or may not be scientifically confirmed as a tell tale sign, but their is enough anecdotal evidence to keep this in mind.

@YaleDawg @CaliforniaDawg and others, have any of you read about this?

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There has been a growing body of anecodatal evidence observing this phenomenon on COVID patients, but as this article suggests - it's an imperfect symptom/indicator as it's no uncommon for people to temporarily lose a sense of smell or taste when they are congested.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    edited March 2020

so after my morning hold my breath test, i'll do my stinky pit test or my irish spring soap bar test

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

I've read and heard that loss of sense of smell and taste is a symptom.

But let me tell you that I suffer from allergies. The pollen season has started and I have already started with the stuffy nose, sinus drainage etc. My sense of smell has decreased 50% this past week.....but it's allergies and not the Virus...

Yeah I'm not surprised it's a symptom, but as @razorachilles said it's not uncommon for people with upper respiratory issues to have that. I think for now it's just a way for doctors to identify potentially mild infections and isolate them out of caution.

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I haven't, but I just did a quick check and I can smell that I need to take a shower. It's the first time I've had hope I don't have it. Even if it is false bliss, I am grateful for a few moments of it BarkingDawg!

Then I went and did a bit of research and I found this on NPR, which I would say is a reliable, non-partisan source of news . I can't say if it is accurate or not, but it is the best info I could find:

Globally, loss of sense of smell and loss of sense of taste are not considered symptoms of COVID-19 and are not part of the recommended screening criteria to be tested. Primary symptoms listed by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are familiar at this point: fever, cough and shortness of breath. The World Health Organization lists fever, tiredness and dry cough and includes shortness of breath on a list of "other" symptoms such as aches and pains, sore throat, diarrhea, nausea and a runny nose.

• BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Since this thing is new, I think the practitioners in the field are considering everything to better define it and to attack it, particularly since they have it. Like I said, this is just anecdotal, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this potential symptom were added to the list. Maybe this gives you a little spark of hope. Take care and hope you get well soon!!!!

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting trends emerging in the NYC data, per the daily update at the nyc.gov site (from today’s summary):

• Of the 365 deaths in NYC thus far, 96% have been aged 45 & over
    • 97% of those fatalities had an underlying health condition
  • CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The US just became the country in the world with the most Covid-19 cases. I for one am frustrated that our nation bears this distinction and will suffer the most from this virus.

Most Dawg fans are in Gerogia and I hope this graph another friend of mine did helps Dawg fans in Georgia shelter in place faithfully. The width of each bar is the number of deaths in each state - you can see NY is very wide with the most deaths as it is a large state with a lot of cases.

The height of the graph is the fatality rate of those who have Covid19 by state. The state of Washington has the highest rate, probably because it spread through the elderly relatively early. But the reason I'm sharing this graph is the 2nd and 3rd highest fatality rates are Louisiana and Georgia. So, Dawg brothers and sisters, stay safe, stay home and stay healthy.

This discussion has been closed.