Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The world is full of nasty diseases. Are we going to go through this all over again next year when H1N1, Corona and whatever else comes back?

• Options
    SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not much of the pollyanna type, but I wonder if we'll have a few good outcomes.

One, will this fast track antiviral medicines? We've previously only nibbled around the edges on that capability.

Two, will rediscovering quarantines and physical barriers better prepare us for a time when antibiotics are no longer effective?

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pgjackson, I"ll take this on and try to answer what our failed response is, which is what you asked. Please know that I am doing my absolute best to make this apolitical. Deep down, I personally don't see Covid-19 as a left vs right thing. I see it as a professional vs unprofessional thing.

First, some pre US response context:

December 6, 2019 - first case of Covid19 identified in China

December 21, 2019 - China sees a group of similar cases that it calls pneumonia like

December 30, 2019 - Dr. Li Wenliang issues warning to other doctors of a SARS like virus

January 1, 2020 - China forces Dr. Li Wenliang to say he misled people and was wrong

January 23, 2020 China finally quarantines Wuhan under quarantine and admits human to human transmission

March 19, 2020 China reports no new Covid19 cases

April 6, 2020 China reports no the first day of no deaths from Covid19

I think China placed pride and politics over full disclosure. I think China reacted late, but starting in late January they acted aggressively to contain and address Covid-19. I don't trust China to do the right thing and no American should. From December 1st to December 30th, I give China a pass as no one knew what the heck was going on. But when Dr. Wenliang issued his warning and was silenced through the end of January, China did not prioritize solving the outbreak over its national pride. As a planet, we lost about 20-30 days due to China doing this. But, by the end of January, every epidemioligist and every official who listened to epidemiologists knew this was serious. So up until late January I put the delay blame on China. After that, everyone had enough warning and a strong or slow response is based on how each country responded.

Now let's turn to the US response

As context, John Hopkins rated the USA as the second most prepared country to deal with a pandemic and rated 1st in 5 of 6 categories (19th in the 6th). With this level of ability, we should have been able to have the 2nd best response on a per capita basis of any country. If we believe the US is great and the president sites this study of how ready we are, we should be able to back this up if we execute properly.

January 3, 2020 - China notifies US about Covid19

January 6, 2020 - the New York Times writes its first article about Covid19 saying there are 59 cases in China

January 17, 2020 - the US has customs and border patrol do screening tests for all travelers coming from Wuhan province. This is a very important thing to consider. I think this was a very aggressive and early action. This was the US doing the right thing early. It wasn't effective for many reasons, but we had no way of knowing back then and I don't fault leaders for trying something that was based on science and seemed like a good measure. Now we know about assymptomatic spread and the delay in symptoms showing, but on January 17th, this was a strong and science based action to take by screening people. The point is that officials in the US including HHS Secretary Alex Azar took this seriously and took action. This should be evidence to all of us that those in the know realized how serious Covid19 was early on. I cannot overstate how important the information was that caused this action to be taken and how this information if acted upon more widely, would have been amazing. In hindsight, I think Alex Azar's leadership was incredible and I'm surprised he had the foresight to guide this on January 17th (from my research it was Alex Azar who guided this policy, but I could be wrong - regardless, this was bold leadership).

January 18, 2020 - Alex Azar provides the first briefing to Trump about Covid-19. Trump interupts the briefing to ask when flavored vaping products would be back on the market.

January 21, 2020 - the first known US case of Covid19 is confirmed

January 29, 2020 - Peter Navarro wrote a memo saying the worst case scenario of an epidemic should "not be overlooked"

January 31, 2020 - the US bars entry for foreign nationals who had traveled to China in the past 14 days. This was the first big mistake created by a bias in policy and this was a huge mistake because it inadvertently opened the US up to Covid19. Democrats make left bias mistakes and Republicans make right bias mistakes and this was a right bias mistake. Not for implementing the travel ban - I fully, fully supported a travel restriction/quarantine. The problem is as I posted on Facebook on January 31, "the virus doesn't look at passports or nationalities, it treats all humans the same. We don't need a travel ban based on nationality, we need to quarantine all humans coming into the US from China. If we quarantine everyone coming in whether they show symptoms or not for 14 days, we will protect our nation The current travel ban based on nationality is about blaming others, not stopping the virus."

Also, I would add that if there were already cases in the US, we neeed to start putting out information about Covid19 being serious and implementing domestic containment strategies recommended by epidemiologists.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

See Germany and South Korea that had tests ready to go as soon as the first case hit there. The "Playbook" developed by the Pandemic team that was disbanded 2018 details the need to invoke the DPA to immediately begin mass production of PPE for front-line workers as well as basic equipment. Germany and SK also began stockpile such materials. Health workers did not need to die at the rate that they are.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CaliforniaDawg Great documentation of the FACTS, I would add that also on January 31st Azar pushed for restrictions on travel from Europe where the virus was already starting to spread. This did not happen until MARCH! Even then UK and Ireland were initially exempt for no apparent health reason, The delay in addressing this was critical as many flights from Europe come in through the NE (JFK, Newark etc.). It is no surprise that NY would be the first to be hit followed by the main business air routes (hourly shuttles to Boston, Chicago etc.).

• Options
    Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dawgnation intellectuals literally called this a media/liberal hoax.

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

All's still well for me out in Germany. Someone within one of the units I support held a house party and the German Police showed up. 25,000 Euro fine for breaking social distancing rules.That's a little over $27k at today's exchange rate. The Germans are not playing around with this at all and I don't think its a bad thing. Its not spreading very much in the area around me and examples like the one above are a big reason why. Stay safe everybody and just follow the rules. Its not worth getting a fine or getting the virus regardless of how you personally feel about the pandemic.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

Concur. Very nice job by @CaliforniaDawg g on the time line. I don't agree with all of his assessments, but it was certainly a thorough job of bringing information together. Also agree with @Canedawg2140 that it's pretty easy to look back and see where things should have been done differently...but that goes with any difficult situation. There is a military saying "no plan survives first contact". Doesn't matter how well you game-plan...once the action starts, you will have to change the plan. The entire world was caught off guard. China was not honest at the beginning and everyone was left to their own devices to figure out a plan. Like you say, six months from now what we think we know today will be completely obsolete.

The good news is that it appears we have flattened the curve. Nobody is predicting millions of deaths any more. The honest, tough decision we are going to have to make in the near future is how much risk Are we willing to take? We can't have the country on lock-down much longer. The long term social and economic impact would likely be worse than whatever damage this virus will do.

• Options
    edited April 2020

I agree monday morning qb'ing is easier. I did try to include thoughts i had in the moment to try to avoid that. I also am quick to give benefit of the doubt to understandable confusion, such as the airport screening. It didnt work, but we only know that with the benefit of hindsight. Thus its not fair to criticize it looking back. I think we have to rationally separate out things thst couldn't have been known at the time from things that should have been known at the time. I tried my best to do that.

• Options
    edited April 2020
  • Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Covid19 has killed over 15k in the US in around 6 to 8 weeks. The flu has killed more people at this point but it was over a longer period of time. It scares me to think of how many Covid19 would kill during the same amount of time that the flu did if we hadn't taken the measures that we have taken. It's hopefully taught a lot more people to wash their freakin hands.

This discussion has been closed.