Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

To all those folks that think this all a big joke and you won't get "it"

2»

Comments

• BaxleydawgBaxleydawg Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

600000 deaths a year worldwide from the flu. I hate that and people dying from the corona also but we cannot stop it. Shutting down the world will not stop it

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks, Me too. I’m just glad we were all healthy enough that it didn’t cause problems. Either one of my grandparents would’ve been in a lot of trouble. And when this generation grows up they will be the quaranteens

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

I recently finished a book called "Stranger in the Woods" by Michael Finkel which is a true story recounting the life of complete isolation a man named Christopher Knight lived for over 40 years in Maine. Its pretty interesting reading about how the guy survived and I won't spoil it but its highly unorthodox. The biggest point on how it relates to Covid is that in the 40 years he was completely isolated he never got sick. Not a cold or flu or any other communicable sickness. They asked him how he avoided being ill and he said "No human contact means there's no way for me to get sick."

I'm not arguing for or against shelter in place. I'm just sharing a book that I found very interesting and thought others might enjoy the story. There's a few youtube videos out about Christopher Knight if you want to see what happened without reading the book.

• benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

30,000-40,000 Americans die every year on the road. We don't stop driving!

30,000-40,000 Americans die every year from the flu. We don't shut down the economy!

More than 40,000 people have died from CoVID-19 in one month. By shutting down everything we've lowered infections and "flattened the curve," but if we re-open too early we could end up with a second wave. We need enough testing and contact tracing to contain community spread in order to reopen safely.

Here's a paper from Harvard about the testint capacity we need:

https://ethics.harvard.edu/files/center-for-ethics/files/roadmaptopandemicresilience_updated_4.20.20_0.pdf