Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Why Georgia QB JT Daniels attained NCAA waiver before Tennessee's Cade Mays

SystemSystem Posts: 11,098 admin
edited July 2020 in Article commenting
imageWhy Georgia QB JT Daniels attained NCAA waiver before Tennessee's Cade Mays

Georgia quarterback JT Daniels received an NCAA waiver for immediate eligibility last Monday, but former Bulldogs' offensive lineman Cade Mays has yet to receive clearance to play for Tennessee this season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭ Junior

There is no justification for Mays getting a waiver. The family's plan was to claim the dad's lawsuit against UGA had created a hostile environment that made it impossible for Cade to stay at UGA. Apparently that is not working for them. Athens is a better place without Mays. I observed several plays during his tenure that could be called unsportsmanlike.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The man wants 3 Million because he's too **** to sit in a folding chair without causing an injury to himself.

Some people. Unreal...

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, uh, no one cares about Mays. There are other appeals that have been rejected in the past where clear answers aren't being provided.

So, here's the real reason. The group deciding it plays by their own rules and plays political games. That's why Mr Mars has a lucrative business charging $$$$ for his secret appealing process. I mean, this is college and PUBLIC institutions. It should be a form submitted, appeal discussed with the player and his family and then a ruling with explanation given. I'm not saying that the whole thing should be public, but the player NEEDS to be given a real reason based on facts and NO LAWYERS should be necessary or even allowed.

So, why did Daniels get it? Because of the back and forth backlash. Had he submitted 6 months ago, it would've been different and 6 months from now it'll probably be different. Fields had no legitimate reason other than the race card and so they cleared it out of fear and got a huge backlash from it. Daniels has no legitimate reasons (no family living in Georgia and going across the nation) and frankly mirrors the Eason situation and he STILL had to wait out a year even though he was from Washington.

I'm sure eventually, it'll be an automatic approval unless going within conference.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m sorry, but I have no sympathy for the Mays family. Cade’s dad made a foolish mistake (2-3 years ago) and lost part of a finger. He then used his whacko mistake to try to make some easy money and got mad at UGa for not paying-up. Daddy Mays is like the spoiled punk who gets mad at other kids on the playground and takes his ball and goes home. In this case his “ball” is his son Cade who is trapped in the middle of this mess. I hope the NCAA sees through this malarkey and does not give Cade a waiver. What makes all of this more fun is the possibility that Cade sits out the season and likely turns pro next spring....thus never playing a down at Neyland Stadium while UT has to pay him for nothing. In the meantime, UGa used Cade’s scholarship for JT Daniels who will likely keep the Vols in the losers column for several more years. Isn’t ‘Karma’ awesome!!! Go Dawgs!!!

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do not think Mays should get a waiver. There should be some price to pay for leaving a program before graduating.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I always think that FACTS are important. And we learned that, in FACT, despite all the criticism and speculation that something sinister was afoot, the FACT is the Cade family only recently even applied for the waiver. Now I'm pretty sure the kid will get the waiver but still, it's not like he got screwed over while Daniels got a pass.

And I agree with whoever posted earlier that the process needs to be WAY more transparent than it is. And I don't trust this Mars fellow either. He could explain what's going on and how these kids get waivers, but he's not inclined to do that because he's in on the game, too. As for Justin Fields again, we DO NOT KNOW THE FACTS. Many keep speculating that it was about race, but I believe it's more to it than that (if it even was that) because I believe his sister is still enrolled at UGA as a student athlete. Hard for me to see how a parent could think one of their children is in grave danger at a certain university, while another child at the same university is perfectly fine. And there were even reports about Fields that within days after starting classes at OSU, he wanted to return to UGA and the football team, but that his father talked him out of it. So we just don't know what happened there. Just like we don't know all the FACTS with the Luke Ford situation.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 29,257 mod

I can't put my finger on why this is such a big deal...

with as bad as Cade looked in the Sugar Bowl I say let him play!

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If I go visit UGA and sit in one of their folding chairs and it causes me to lose the tip off my pinky finger, do you think I'll be able to sue and claim 3 million dollars? If so, I'll be there tomorrow.

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wish Cade all the best and I hope he is granted eligibility immediately after we whup Utn. So he can watch it from the sideline.

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I guess it could be said that Papa Mays gave the finger (at least part of it) to UGA. I'm sorry that Cade wanted to leave but glad that he did because a bad attitude from an upper class starter would make for bad team chemistry. I don't think that there will be any "fall-off" in his replacement with all the line talent on our team.