Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Shooters

Comments

• Options
    skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good thread here, can somebody explain the attraction to the AR’s and assault / military type rifles ? I’m old school, have a safe full of rifles - bolt action, ( one shot , one kill ) , over/under and sxs shotguns and prob a bakers dozen pistols and many old .22 ‘s ...but I have never found the ARs attractive or seen a practical use for them, not trying to start hate , just trying to learn,

thanks, Skid

• Options
    RedFiveRedFive Posts: 99 ✭✭✭ Junior

While it’s not completely realistic snap caps can offer a valuable training method. Reload drills, misfire drills, and mix them in with some live ammo will help you work on your trigger discipline.

• Options
    jc30116jc30116 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For me, it was an experience I had a couple of years ago. Was hunting (was on the ground; didn't have an option of hunting from a stand) and had a bunch of hogs walk out in the field in front of me(closest was about 30 ft away). I had a bolt action and raised up to shoot the closest one when it turned and looked straight at me. Try holding an 8 lb rifle up for a good 20 mins. It becomes a lot heavier. If I had a semi auto I would have taken the shot and been able to get off more than one shot but a bolt action would have given me one maybe two shots before one of them got to me. We have had a couple of club members who have been charged by a hog after they shot it.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There’s a YouTube channel where these guys have one of those epic night scopes and they hunt packs of those feral hogs from distance.

Worth the watch.

• Options
    brady01brady01 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just buy you one and go to the range and you will soon fall in love. They're some of the most fun guns to shoot. But I'm different than most people. I deer hunt with my ARs. I've killed 3 deer with an AR15 .223 and now I've moved on to my .300 AAC to try and kill one. One hunt I killed a coyote running through on me and that same evening killed a 6 point. I love being able to tromp through the woods knowing that whatever happens to my rifle it can take it.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options

And in North GA. There is no regulation on number of hunting rounds.

• Options

Okay I'll stop now . 😁

• Options
    skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well dang y’all are making me want one now thanks

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love guns, have owned a small handful over the years. Currently only have a few

.22LR my grandfather bought new in the 1930s. I still shoot it regularly

Browning X-bolt medallion in 30-06

Browning X-bolt Hell's Canyon in 6.5 creedmoor

Remington 12 gauge

I have had a few pistols but have sold them, though I want a Glock 19 next. I had the 26 but wasn't exactly what I wanted.

• Options

Shotguns are probably different. I should have clarified rifle hunting.