Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

A little Dawgnation fun #3 - another music survey

Comments

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This isn't exactly a specific artist, but rather a youtube channel I started following and listening to at work. He posts a bunch of random indie pop/folk songs. Easy listening stuff that is great for work. He usually posts videos that have about 1.5hr of music, give or take. Here is one, but they post a bazzilion of these things. He seems to do a folk and rock one every month. And the occasional seasonal or random one.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here's a song that I imagine is fairly unknown. I would never have come across it if I hadn't happened to be watching Letterman that particular night. Hadn't heard of the band before, and the lead singer struck me as a bizarre cross between Henry Rollins and Roland Gift, but he also had his own unique style. I found myself listening to the track over and over. Obviously Dave liked it as well...

Future Islands - Seasons

edited August 2020

While we're on Letterman, here's another classic that dates further back. (For the record, I wasn't even a Beastie Boys fan, but this performance was pretty awesome.)

edited August 2020

And to complete my Letterman tribute/trilogy, we may as well go all the way back to 1983 and (fittingly) the pride of Athens, GA. The video quality is poor, but man does this evoke memories of a time and a place and a feeling. Little known fact- the girls absolutely loved Stipe when he had that hair (and his own preferences weren't yet known.)

REM - Radio Free Europe / Interview / So. Central Rain

So much for a trilogy. Let the tribute continue! (Late Nite- fittingly- indeed.) Love the energy in this performance. Doesn't get any better.

TV On the Radio - Wolf Like Me

Didn't love this song when I first heard it. Then I saw this performance on Letterman and it was a completely different experience. Just watching the drummer (Thomas Hedlund)! Reminded me of Animal from the Muppets, and I mean that as a compliment.

Phoenix - 1901

Last one for the night. One of my favorite live bands. God bless Letterman for giving so many artists a chance to play in front of a national audience. Again, just love the energy here...

Arcade Fire - Rebellion (lies)

• OdinOdin Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2020

Manowar- The Crown and the Ring. Tesla-Love Song. Cult-Fire Woman. Hendrix- Castles made of sand. So many more.............Jolene-Dolly Parton.

• OdinOdin Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The way things are "today" I'd throw in Tom Macdonald, Upchurch, and Adam Calhoun. All the songs on those albums speak the truth some don't wanna hear, JMO.

• Copedawg16Copedawg16 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anything that Zach Bryan writes/sings live:

Rest Rose, Cold Blooded, Mine, etc.

Anyone heard of Adam Hood? My brother and I have been fans for years:

Million Miles Away, Heart of a Queen, Alabama Moon, etc.

Horses are Faster by Ian Munsick is really good.

On YouTube, Snakes and Waterfalls by Nick Shoulders.

• Copedawg16Copedawg16 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This song is special.

JJ Grey - The sun is shining down

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow, you've lost two children? As a parent of two grown kids that's horrible to hear, as is the story of your brother being taken so young. Very sorry for your losses!

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Any Tommy Keene experts? I read about him in a book, listened to some snippets...not too shabby. Was surprised I’d never heard of him before

Last night I watched Netflix's two part documentary on the life of Frank Sinatra. I've watched probably 20+ music focused documentaries, but this was the best. I learned new things about Frank and his family and saw footage and I'd never seen. The footage of Frank and Elvis singing together was both funny and fantastic, as their voices melded perfectly together.

@texdawg asked us if we were on an island and could only listen to one musical artist who would it be. I said,Thievery Corporation, but I'm going to change my mind and pick Frank Sinatra. As Charlton Heston once said about Sinatra, "Frank signs 4 minute movies."

• dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anything by Willis A. Ramsey, but especially "Spider John"

Ready for an eargasm?

"Bourbon in Your Eyes' by Devil Doll

"Your crystal ball ain't so crystal clear"

Always loved that line. Did you notice they actually had Paul Scheaffer actually sitting in and playing with them during that? He was sitting behind the main keyboardist of the band. I just thought that was neat.

I've always been a huge Sinatra fan and the documentary reminded me of why I like his music so much. His phrasing was remarkable.