Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia coach Kirby Smart details center issues that hindered offense against Arkansas

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia coach Kirby Smart details center issues that hindered offense against Arkansas

There are two players who touch the ball on every play on the Georgia offense. The most talked-about is the quarterback position, one that has and will continue to be much discussed following the team's 37-10 win over Arkansas. The other is the center position. Like the quarterback spot, Georgia rotated players at

Read the full story here

Comments

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 620 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Does anyone know or heard if the ball that got by Mathis for a long loss was a result of the ball being snapped before the count, just a bad snap or did Mathis just misplay the ball? It seemed to be a combination of an off line snap but still could have been handled by Mathis. Issues like this have to be corrected before Auburn, and I believe they will. The defense saved us this game probably and Stetson deserves a lot of credit for coming in and keeping his poise. I like our chances this year but obviously the O-line and quarterback positions need work! Go Dawgs

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Watching the replay, it appears Mathis was a half step to the right of being square with the center. The ball was snap just off D'wans left hip. Either way, the play should have been made. The snap was not that errant and Mathis wasn't that far off the center line.

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 620 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Tripp. Yep I agree, seemed to be a snap that should have been handled but I didn’t pick up Mathis not being squared up with the center. Go Dawgs!

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What ever happened to Clay Webb? He was reportedly a huge 5 star get from the State of Alabama, a world class wrestler and the #1 rated center in the country; yet, nothing. Heck, he wasn't even mentioned in this article. Was the guy kidnapped by aliens? What gives DN?

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

According to another post by Jeff Sentell, Webb did not even travel to Arkansas and like you @Dawg365 , that's surprising to me, given all the hype about him when we recruited him. But someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Webb have some off-field issues last year or something? It didn't seem major, as I recall, but just enough to maybe get him in Kirby's doghouse. Not positive on all the details of that, except I'm pretty sure he didn't make it on the bus Saturday. That's not good at this stage of his career, given that he was a 5-star recruit.

That said, I hope Kirby, in his attempt to ease criticism of Mathis, doesn't over-correct and start throwing other folks (in this case, Trey Hill) under the bus. I think there were probably some snaps that were off Saturday, but I noticed the same thing with him last year with Jake Fromm at QB from time to time and I don't recall Smart (or the media) ever making any mention of it. Obviously, a really bad snap can throw a play off, but to think there won't be 2-3 snaps during every game that aren't pinpoint perfect is just not being realistic. I don't think D'Wan Mathis didn't play well because of bad snaps. Did it screw up one obvious play? Yes. But as others have said, it's not like it was 10 feet over his head or rolled back to him on the ground. Let's just acknowledge that the entire offense didn't play as well as they could have, they all need to improve (even Stetson Bennett) and let's hope that happens this Saturday night. Go Dawgs!

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am certainly not grading out the offensive line play, but it seems to me that Hill rarely gets a push in the middle of the line, especially on short yardages plays. The man has legs the size of tree trunks, but they seem to get stuck in the ground. There was a preseason video of him squaring off with one of the d-linemen, and he was getting pushed back. Also Truss has a tough game coming in late at left tackle. He got called for holding (nullifying a first down pass by Mathis) and then gave up a sack on successive plays. Overall the O-line is a work in progress.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

He's competing, but he's got some GAM ahead of him and been here longer. Cleveland came in 2016, Shaffer in 2017, Hill and Ericsson in 2018. I think Clay Webb will be first string next year.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THere was a low snap or two but the one I remember most was right through D"wan's hands.