Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Eddie VH- Another goes way too young

Comments

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm right there with ya on the two singers.

The album version of 7th Seal is much better than the live one. This is a bad arse tune.

• GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As the OP of this thread I saw those DVs and thought, ****????

Really appreciate all the great stories being shared about VH - one time when I saw them it was general admission in the Ft. Meyers, FL arena - basically a giant warehouse - hot, loud, and crowded. We got there late, so were at the very back. A few fight s broke out in front of us, the crowd shifted to the fight, so we moved closer. The crowd was so pugnacious, that before VH was halfway through the set, we were at the stage (aided by our telling those in front of us that there was a fight behind us - there were lots of gaturd shirts in the crowd). EVH was incredible, gained a new appreciation Michael A. AVH was almost Bonhamesque in his heavy hitting and Roth...well at one point he must have asked for some weed because all of sudden from behind us it started raining nickel and dime bags on the stage as they were being flung from in back of us. Roth sparked one up and I just remember thinking how all these guys that had to hang 4 sheets of drywall to buy that bag were throwing their hard-earned herb to a guy who got much better for free. I'm sure the next day they were shouting, "DLR smoked my dope!"

Bring on the DV's!

PS - to those talking PRS and strats. if you want to get lost in a guitar rabbit hole, check out - https://www.strat-talk.com/

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We had a permanent encampment of protesters at the gate of the base our school was on. Sometimes they would block the road, throw stuff at the bus. The bus routes were very long. Mine was about an hour each way. Very nice touring buses with TVs and stereos and tables, so it wasn't a bad ride. Kids would sometimes come out and throw rocks at our bus. We weren't very popular over there.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

2020 sucks. On another note, EVH fought cancer for 10 years. Helluva fight.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saw VH in early 80s, Diamond Dave butchered the lyrics but Eddie was amazing and more than made up for it. Caught them years later with Sammy, **** good show but was way to short.

I lived in London during the rise of the Punk Rock movement where squads of drunk spike haired punks would walk the streets looking for fights. They did not like Americans, so we had to always keep an eye out. When we weren't staying clear of them we had to dodge insanely drunk soccer fans. It was always fun when Scotland played England at Wembley stadium. Hundreds of drunk Scots is a sight and a sound.

You're right about the older generation liking Americans. Everyday on the bus an old woman would ask me if I was American and then proceed to tell me a story about WWII. In the 70's it was still very fresh in their minds. That was a great era to live in London, because all the old traditions were still in place and the architecture was pretty much the way it had been for centuries.

Getting some off-topic clicks. I was there in the mid-80s. The punks were generally pretty cool. It was the skinheads who would pick a fight just to have something to do. You didn't even want to make eye-contact with those guys.

My favorite memories of that time was hopping on the Tube in our neighborhood and heading into London for the day. Saw a ton of concerts at Hammersmith Odeon...Def Lepard, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Ratt, Twisted Sister, Accept, Dio...but for some reason never saw VH.

On my bucket list is seeing a concert at the Royal Albert Hall. Hammersmith Odeon was a good place to see a show, as well as the Rainbow Theatre.

Agree @GradyDawg85.

It would have been epic to see VH open for Sabbath at the Hammersmith Odeon and I'm glad I eventually got to see the original band live. FWIW, I'm not sure why Sabbath objected to VH, because they more than held their own on stage. Ozzie is without a doubt one of the most captivating performers I've ever seen. He owned the audience. I've never seen so much leather, spikes and crosses in my life. I thought I was at a Hounds of Hell concert.

edited October 2020

I just figured out why I didn't see VH in London...they didn't come to London on the 1984 tour. Their European shows were with the Monsters of Rock. Their only show in England was at Castle Donington. I had to look it up. No way were my parents letting me go to Donington. That was the last DLR album and I was SOOOO not into 5150 and Van Hagar.

I did get to see Ozzy's Ultimate Sin show at Hammersmith. Ratt was the opener. Ozzy is simply the best...and the guy can actually sing.

• dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Played music for years. Quit the drugs and drinking early on. Two good friends didn’t - 1 gone at 49 and the other dying now at 64, both of cancer.

Drugs and alcoholism su.ck

edited October 2020

Eruption changed everything. Not sure anyone had ever done a guitar solo as a featured song on an album before, but it is certainly THE most famous solo of all time. It became, and still is, the gold standard of rock guitar and practically mandatory learning for all aspiring musicians. You really can't say enough about his influence on rock music.

If you were a guitarist in the late 70s and 80s, EVH was likely your top 2 or 3 most influential guitarist. It was almost cliche to claim EVH was your idol. I was a bass player, but had posters of EVH on my wall. There isn't a comparison to anyone today. Guitar wizardry has largely disappeared in today music scene, but the stuff EVH was doing 30-40 years ago is still considered genius and technically elite.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I lost one just a few weeks ago to the bottle. Only 37 too! The last time I heard from him he sent me a text back in July asking to come and check on him while he was in my hospital. But I happened to be on vacation. I don't think a visit from me would of changed his fate.... but it still kind of haunts me. We always think we have more time until suddenly we don't.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson Guitar wizardry is still around, it's focus has just shifted. Blues rock, bluegrass, and there's actually still plenty of metal and rock to go around. I've even heard some country with some very impressive guitar work. One major difference is back in the 80s VH was all over the radio and TV. These days that kind of music isn't front and center, so you have to dig a little more.

edited October 2020

That is true. I still primarily listen to classic rock stations. Seems like the music charts are full of vülgar rap, mopey desperation songs and techno-club music. The 80's were the glory days of guitar-based music. My brother is a music producer and master guitarist. A child prodigy in the 80's. But even his stuff is mostly club-techno. He just got a double platinum song, but I am not really a fan. I asked him why he doesn't use more guitar in his songs...he says people aren't into blistering guitar right now. Like you said, I think you have to dig deep to find guitar heroes today.

I think it was the smoking that took EVH. Dude always had a cigarette going.