Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Adam Sasser suing UGA

1235»

Comments

• Options
    LBCoachLBCoach Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, viewpoint discrimination is not tolerated. If offensive language is used while conveying some sort of belief it is generally protected especially if it is political in nature. Shouting "put the N-word in" doesn't really fit that description.

• Options

I said UGA acted above board during this situation, so I'm not sure why you felt you needed to say this. UGA cannot punish someone for their speech if it falls under protected speech which generally includes hate speech. However, I don't think Sasser's conduct falls under protected speech for the reasons you mentioned.

• Options

I don't think the GA was advocating for the killing of white people. I think it was something like he didn't believe POC would ever achieve equal status without violence that caused some white people to die. You'd have to prove his words were a call to action meant to incite violence rather than an observation.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is not the time in the USA to fight that battle in court.... he would lose.... badly.

• Options
    roydawgroydawg Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well if the consequences are from the government, which a public university is, then the first amendment does protect you from the consequences. You can say whatever you want in Cuba or Venezuela, but the government will bring some serious consequences if they don’t like it. The freedom from (government) consequences is exactly what the first amendment protects. I think the best line of defense here is that this type of speech amounts to fighting words and isn’t protected at all.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here's my thought, and it is really free from law and government and rights and such...

Life usually fixes this stuff, even if the law does not.

If he was stup.id enough to scream this at a football game, then life will find a way to correct his stupi.dity eventually. Somebody is gonna punch him in the mouth and break his jaw. He is going to say something that gets him fired. His lack of judgement is going to hurt his personal relationships.

You can sue and get paid. You can use the courts for a temporary advantage over an adversary. But you can't get away from stupi.d. If you don't mature, it stays with you and eventually rears it's ugl.y head at an inopportune time. You may have cash, but you are drinking from a straw, unemployed, and alone.

I have seen this OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. It seems to REALLY show up around athletics...

My hope is that - somehow - he matures out of this state of stu.pidity. Doesn't look like he has yet, if you look at the lawsuit. The first step to leaving it behind is to admit you have a problem...