Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

WATCH: Former Georgia QB: 'Kirby at a crossroads ... with offensive identity'

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: Former Georgia QB: 'Kirby at a crossroads ... with offensive identity'

Georgia football is having plenty of offensive issues, some that were to be expected, but many wonder if others are avoidable

Read the full story here

Comments

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, the indications coming out of the bye week are troubling. I've been supporting Smart on the QB management up to this point, but if he's not interested in getting a more talented player ready to take control of the team - or at the very least provide a clear and sensible explanation as to why it's not feasible - then I say he deserves the all the criticism he will inevitably receive for this stubbornness. Here's hoping everything we've been hearing is just him not wanting to give out any real information, though I'm not sure what that would achieve since there isn't any film on any of the other guys anyway. Not looking good...

• Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kinda like how we couldn’t beat Alabamas and Clemsons (and Georgia Techs) with Hutson Mason at QB.

He should definitely know.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just posted this farther down on the board but this story just came up and it speaks to what I posted so I'm reposting it.

My take is CKS doesn't like looking bad. Who does, one could argue. He doesn't like being second guessed, he, from what I can tell, gets snippy when reporters ask probing questions, especially about the QB situation, he just gives coach speak(a master of it). He road Jake Fromm because he was the "hot hand" in 2017 and rightfully so. In 2018 Jake Fromm was his guy, A proven winner, not flashy or exceptional but wasn't going to lose a game due to turnovers. Fields was a QB controversy waiting to happen so he never got any quality playing time. He didn't want Fields getting in and throwing it all over the field with that arm and fans going hey wait a minute Kirby, you're starting the wrong guy. So, he just didn't play him and then when later questioned about it he replied "Fields didn't show him that much"(in practice).

That may be the dumbest thing he's ever said and doesn't ring true. All you have to do is put on Fields highlights with Ohio St. He will be a 1st round draft pick and 2nd QB taken in the draft. So, either CKS is smarter(pun intended) than all the NFL evaluators of QB talent or if he truly meant what he said about "Fields didn't show him that much", he's the dumbest evaluator of talent.

Lord help UGA if he truly meant what he said about Fields. If he didn't, he was just feeding the press bull to save face for making the wrong decision and choosing Jake Fromm instead of Fields. As a head football coach he either couldn't recognize a once in a decade player in Fields or he's just a very conservative coach who made the easy choice of "the bird in hand instead of the two in the bush" in Fields.

The question remains: Is he doing it again?

I've said on this board repeatedly the last two weeks what Hunter Mason said, we can beat the Kentuckys and maybe even FLorida but we aren't going to beat BAMA and Clemson with that same approach(QB).

• BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2020

Same philosophy got Les Miles fired. I know he goes by what they show during practice then makes the decision on who he thinks best can help us win, problem is sometimes these kids don't shine until they are put into a real game. We have seen it so much..look at what Tua did to us and he sat on the bench all season.

• adawgalwaysadawgalways Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

We pounded Clemson at home in 2014. We didn't play Alabama in 2014 and unfortunately lost to Tech.

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2020

The personnel question I have is at the coaching level: Is Monken being given the freedom to run the offense as he sees fit?

If he is, then I will wait and see. If not, why did we even hire him?

• dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

For all yammering about the passing game, if we had kept running it against Bama we probably win. And I don’t get the JT as savior obsession from Mike Griffith. He didn’t light the PAC 12 on fire while at USC, and lost the starting job there.

• randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2020

I'm so tired of this QB conversation as is most of Dawgnation. Kirby is embarrassing himself with the way he is handling himself and the situation. He's not dumb but he's certainly (at least in public) acting like he has no idea what he's doing with the QB room. I can only hope that if he is fixated on Bennett for the rest of year, then Mathis must really be bad, Daniels must really be hurt, and Beck is not ready as a frosh. If that's not the case, then the AD needs to take a serious look at Kirby's vision for this program and consider some really tough decisions.

• dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

KIrby is lost. Confused. Doesn't know which way to turn. He has learned nothing from the Fromm debacle. In the meantime, our former 5-star commit and freshman qb, Justin Fields, is headed back to Heismanville.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020

Yeah, tearing an ACL tends to have that effect. The game in which it happened, he had completed 74% of his attempts and compiled 215 yards in less than a half, so it's not like he went out there and stunk up the field. As has been pointed out, he graduated from high school a full year early. His freshman year, he was a 17 year-old leading a team that was generally in bad shape. So yeah, he had some ups (including multiple 300 yards games, I believe) and downs. But when you look at his overall talent and combine that with the time he's had to mature and acclimate to the college life/game, it's perfectly reasonable to think he could really shine on a team as talented as Georgia. I don't know that anyone's just assuming he'll go out and win the Heisman. I think people, myself included, are just eager to see what he can do.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mason summed it up as many are now seeing the observastionQB polemic: “They’ll win against the Kentuckys, and I think they can beat Florida and win out,” Mason said, supposing Bennett stays under center. “But they won’t beat the Alabamas and Clemsons of the world, that’s just the reality of it." That's it in a nutshell. Up to Kirby now. I feel fairly secure in an SEC East win-out but not at all after that. The level of play changes dramatically! Stetson is not the caliber of QB to make Pickens look good every game....long ball. So, we settle for the SEC East again. Maybe Kirby sees it this way. Keeps his job secure. Pretty banal observation. I want the Dawgs to WIN it all! It seems Kirby was closer to this before, not now. Run the ball then Mr. Smart and hope the defense can keep the wolves at bay.

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby may have final responsibility for picking the starting QB, but that doesn't mean Monken is neccessarily being overruled. He may agree with using Bennett -- we just don't know what the coaches are seeing in practice.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BAMA out physicaled us in the 2nd half. No one saw that coming. We were supposed to be the more physical team. They got the lead and just ran it down our throats with Najee. Couldn't stop him and we were supposed to be lights out against the run. Maybe CKS is trying to get us to play more physical looking towards a rematch in Atl. I understand that. His best back though is the Freshman from Cali and he underutilizes him IMO.

Even if we mange to out physical Bama, if we get that far, we still have to put up 35 to win. Smith is in our DB's heads. He has no fear of them. You have to double team him. Surprised CKS didn't know that.

• chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Smart indicated Bennett got all the reps during the bye week." If you have no intention of playing another QB why should they get any reps. This is an indication of the reps Justin Fields got during the 2018 season and how much opportunity he had to play. No wonder he left.

I wonder if Brock Vandergriff is having second thoughts?

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If you don't want an explosive passing game why hire Monken? Keep 1st and Chaney.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mason makes some valid points. I especially like what he said about our receivers. Despite his funky attitude, George Pickens has still started every game and it's almost like he's being used as a decoy. Someone (Bennett, Monken, Jesus Christ) has to figure out how to get that guy some touches. And then of our other, what, 10 scholarship receivers, who outside of Kearis Jackson is worth a plug nickel? You barely hear Robertson's name called. Matt Landers hasn't improved since he stepped foot on campus. Rosemary-Jacksaint has regressed in just four games. The best of the lot may be injured and while Jermaine Burton may be the best of the rest, right now he's clearly not ready for prime time. Meanwhile, other SEC schools (and not just Alabama) seem to be adept at finding and playing PRODUCTIVE wide receivers. So I agree with Mason, is our lack of wide receiver production on the players, the offensive scheme, the QB, or a combination of all three)?

• WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

@E_Roc , I'm glad you and I along with some others are on the same page about JT. I'm not sure who and what games @JimmyBob and @Timothy1952 were looking at but the JT Daniels I saw had the biggest upside of anyone in the country until he got hurt. If he is still hurt then I understand Kirby's decision; if not, then we might as well kiss any chance of being successful after the regular season ends goodbye...unless Stetson and has surgery and gets a bionic arm to throw receivers catch-able balls in stride for TD's.

Go Dawgs!!!

• WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

@DallasDawg , I see your point about the receivers, however Robertson who was my breakout receiver has barely been targeted and when he's in the game there are no throws to him down field. All of them have been of the 5yd type hoping he can break one. Its a good concept except outside of Pickens and Jackson, our WR's don't block very well. We need to put Pickens in those slot positions and move Jackson and Robertson to the outside. If this ever happens, watch our passing attack take off...

Go Dawgs!!