Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Former Georgia QB: 'Kirby at a crossroads ... with offensive identity'

2»

Comments

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The thing with Pickens is, he a long ball receiver. Unfortunately we do not have a long ball passer playing at quarterback. I don't watch JT in practice but from accounts, he has a strong arm. If we aren't going to play Daniels, or even Mathis or Beck, then stop asking Bennett to do the one thing he cannot do.

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

i want to believe Kirby knows something we all don’t and he wants to keep other teams guessing. But I don’t know if that’s so anymore. I fear we have a great recruiter who happens to be a head coach who has an offensive philosophy from the 80’s. That might win a championship in 1985 but not 2020. Really makes me sad for UGA.

• Options
    Dogbone1Dogbone1 Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore

Agree with most of what’s been said by others. But I would go farther by saying that really, Kirby is not at a “new” crossroad regarding his offensive identity. Truthfully, he is to a great extent just running the offense similar to the way he has since he took the job. Conservative, with the run and occasional short pass-based approach. The roots of this lie in his ongoing belief that he can control the clock, avoid interceptions, and wear everybody down along with a stingy defense (the OLD Saban model). Each new OC puts a slightly different twist but Kirby keeps them on a short leash and the results are the same.

We are not fully developing highly rated offensive players, and overtly underutilizing many. The reality is simple: our defense despite being very good is overemphasized and even then cannot stop premier offenses. And our offense cannot keep pace with the high powered teams (AL, Clemson, etc).

It would seem that after the same plan for now 5 seasons that Kirby sees no problem with his approach.....is not the definition of insanity continuing to do the same things and expecting a different result?

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Listen folks...here are the facts:

1. Stetson Bennett is the only QB we have at this time and place for the 2020 season...PERIOD!
    2. Number #2 and #18 are in no way ready to lead this time to victory as any of you arm chair supposed smartest coaches every to walk the earth...get over it and enjoy this season as more than likely we can win every game remaining, make it to Atlanta play 2.5 good qtrs. with a lead and once again loose the ballgame and end up playing in a meaningless Orange bowl as I hear the Sugar is already talking about not taking Georgia three years in a row.
    3. Kirby is an awesome coach but is in no way prefect and that no way perfect is our offense identity and player development focused on the skill positions of QB and Receiver. In the big picture it's not doom and gloom but the question remains how do you have three five star qb's come through your program and two leave and did a great job at his school (Washington) and the other in the thick of a Heisman and Natty while UGA is left with a Tap Out clown, a major knee rehab, a true freshman that was bound for a redshirt and a solid but walk on who was told in late July he would not have a chance to start? finally, let a three year starter who had his worst year ever in college in 19 declare early and by his skin get drafted in the 5th round and then almost not make the team? Maybe Kirby should've hired a qb coach to help train Fromm and the other QB's this season

Kirby is the head cheese and he has for all purposes botched this nightmare qb situation, allowed our offense to sputter now for two years under now our 3rd off Cord playing a 4th string qb that is competent but with limited capabilities to lead our team to and SEC, Playoff or National title this year.