Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Fromm and Eason: Fans Expectations

DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As fans, how did a majority of DawgNation turn it's back on Eason just like that? It was almost a year ago that when Mark Richt was fired, fans of UGA football were worried that Eason might slip through their grasps and head to Florida. I was there at the G-Day game when everybody rose to their feet and gave Eason a standing ovation. He beat out Lambert for the starting job at QB and had some ups and downs his first year as a true freshman QB. A year and 3 passes later, DawgNation is calling for his head and welcoming Fromm as the new QB. This type of fan base is cancerous to the program and to the player. Why have we not given Eason a chance? Is it because he was 1-3 with 4 yards and is still considered inaccurate? That's hard to determine after 3 passes. What happens to Fromm if he performs horribly for the next few games while Eason is out? Do we call for his head too? I hate the fan bases that do this. Fromm showed poised and leadership capabilities on Saturday, but some of his throws were questionable and made out of luck. If you think that his first TD pass to Wims in double coverage was skill and not out of sheer luck, then you don't watch football. Wims bailed the kid out. If that pass happened during an SEC game, that would have been a pick. Fromm showed that he can lead Georgia to a bright future, but the fact that in many other forums and social media platforms downplaying Eason and calling for Eason to transfer, makes me sick to my stomach.

Eason will still be my first string QB until he proves otherwise. 3 passes in and an unfortunate injury does not warrant someone to lose their starting spot.

Comments

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's pretty simple.

The most popular player on the team will always be the backup quarterback.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@KingoftheSouth said:
    It's pretty simple.

The most popular player on the team will always be the backup quarterback.

Does that mean if/when JF comes to Georgia, Fromm will be the backup QB?

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgsofWar said:

Eason will still be my first string QB until he proves otherwise. 3 passes in and an unfortunate injury does not warrant someone to lose their starting spot.

I agree with you here. The spot should still very much be Eason's. Having Fromm as the starter means year 2 of true freshman QB's and true freshman mistakes. That said, I can understand why fans might be a little over-excited about Fromm. Only because Eason's offense stagnated last year, and it very briefly looked to be doing the same on the first few drives. Fromm comes in and puts us up by 21 in the first half. That's encouraging, and refreshing, to see our offense clicking again.

• shooterboi1017shooterboi1017 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

@DawgsofWar said:
    As fans, how did a majority of DawgNation turn it's back on Eason just like that? It was almost a year ago that when Mark Richt was fired, fans of UGA football were worried that Eason might slip through their grasps and head to Florida. I was there at the G-Day game when everybody rose to their feet and gave Eason a standing ovation. He beat out Lambert for the starting job at QB and had some ups and downs his first year as a true freshman QB. A year and 3 passes later, DawgNation is calling for his head and welcoming Fromm as the new QB. This type of fan base is cancerous to the program and to the player. Why have we not given Eason a chance? Is it because he was 1-3 with 4 yards and is still considered inaccurate? That's hard to determine after 3 passes. What happens to Fromm if he performs horribly for the next few games while Eason is out? Do we call for his head too? I hate the fan bases that do this. Fromm showed poised and leadership capabilities on Saturday, but some of his throws were questionable and made out of luck. If you think that his first TD pass to Wims in double coverage was skill and not out of sheer luck, then you don't watch football. Wims bailed the kid out. If that pass happened during an SEC game, that would have been a pick. Fromm showed that he can lead Georgia to a bright future, but the fact that in many other forums and social media platforms downplaying Eason and calling for Eason to transfer, makes me sick to my stomach.

Good assessment

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Chaney called swing screens and shotgun inside/outside zones for Chubb and Michel 30 times, Eason would have also put up 21 points in a half.

@mattmd2 Agreed. Eason was in only for a few drives though. That's what makes me so angry. Don't get me wrong. I think Fromm is a bright kid and very talented. It was nice seeing the offense click again. But knowing how a majority of the fan base is, the same ones calling for Eason's head will be calling for Fromm's the moment he does bad. Eason, in my opinion is a great QB. He's got the traits for it, but he's just a tad bit inaccurate. Fromm is still a freshman and I don't quite see the arm strength I see in him like Eason has.

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like what I saw from Fromm so now I'm a cancer to the program? Calm down man. I haven't seen a single person "call for Eason's head" either. Liking on option doesn't mean you hate the other. Nothing would make me happier then Eason coming back and leading us to a natty. But this isn't a CMR team anymore and when Eason comes back from injury the QB that gives us the best chance to win will play. That can be Eason. But unlike Saturday at 6pm there is now a very real possibility that it's not. I'm starting to get tired of the Eason camp **** all over the Fromm camp because they feel they have the moral high ground for some reason.

@VaBeachDawg said:
    I like what I saw from Fromm so now I'm a cancer to the program? Calm down man. I haven't seen a single person "call for Eason's head" either. Liking on option doesn't mean you hate the other. Nothing would make me happier then Eason coming back and leading us to a natty. But this isn't a CMR team anymore and when Eason comes back from injury the QB that gives us the best chance to win will play. That can be Eason. But unlike Saturday at 6pm there is now a very real possibility that it's not. I'm starting to get tired of the Eason camp **** all over the Fromm camp because they feel they have the moral high ground for some reason.

You must not have a lot of social media platforms then. Check Twitter, check Facebook. I've seen posts telling Eason to go ahead and transfer. You obviously didn't read my post. I said people who cheered for Eason a year ago, welcomed him like the second coming of Christ, and then turns their back on him 3 passes later, is cancerous to the fan base. There is no moral high ground for liking Eason over Fromm. Eason clearly has experience, Fromm lacks it, Fromm has shown that as a backup and a future starter, he can lead the team. Until Eason shows that he can't play or perform as well as Fromm, then he is the starter as soon as he gets healthy again. 3 pass plays don't warrant that.

@Pigeons said:
    While I agree with your sentiment, I'm not so sure that same pass would have been picked off by an SEC opponent. Wimms is 6'5 and jumped up and high pointed the pass. There aren't that many SEC DBs that would have been tall enough to out jump him. Would it have been broken up? Quite possibly. Was it a sure pick? I don't think so.

There were a few other passes that would have likely been picked but I'm not so that was one of them.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it would have been a pick through a jump ball, but more of a experience from playing and readjusting to the coverage. To me, it looked really risky at the beginning, but Wims made a good play and readjusted to the ball.

Exactly, sir. I mean, Eason flew a long way to come play for Georgia. If there was any notion that any of the coaches didn't trust Eason and his abilities, Fromm would have been starter for the App State game. QB competition is going to be heated, but let's just pray that Eason gets better. Ramsey as a backup is very scary for me. He's thrown more INTs then TDs. Granted, he hasn't played much, but that ratio is way too high. Sad to say it, but Bobo recruited Ramsey over Watson and I'm not sure why.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not trying to be negative here, but “if” Eason completely recovers from his injury in a few weeks, as expected, it could be DISASTROUS for UGA in the long haul if he doesn’t return as the starting QB. If Fields commits to UGA, not so much, but if he goes elsewhere, there is a real possibility Eason transfers. He’s not going to sit on the pine behind Fromm in 2018. If that scenario plays out, we will then have Fromm and…….. who else?

@amjadawgs said:
    Not trying to be negative here, but “if” Eason completely recovers from his injury in a few weeks, as expected, it could be DISASTROUS for UGA in the long haul if he doesn’t return as the starting QB. If Fields commits to UGA, not so much, but if he goes elsewhere, there is a real possibility Eason transfers. He’s not going to sit on the pine behind Fromm in 2018. If that scenario plays out, we will then have Fromm and…….. who else?

Well, here's my best case scenario. Fromm will probably be starting for the next 2-4 games. I'm hoping when Eason comes back, he lights it up and takes the reins back from Fromm. I'm hoping Fromm plays well the next few games so that Georgia has some solid wins under their belt. Georgia needs to get their wins early so that recruits know that Georgia is serious this year. Eason comes back, Fromm is a solid back up, and Georgia wins the SEC East and hopefully wins the SEC CG. Alabama always looks solid, but they rely more on their run now more than ever. Georgia can stop that for sure. Fields has already stated that he does not mind red-shirting. Here is the best case scenario possibility for 2018 for the QB situation. Eason starts (has a blowout year and leaves for the NFL), Fromm plays backup, Fields red-shirts. Fromm and Fields then have a QB competition in 2019. Great competition in my eyes. Another scenario is that Fromm and Eason have another QB competition in 2018. Fields red-shirts. Eason either transers after that year or he goes to the NFL. Regardless, JF will sit on the pine in 2018. He does not mind it.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgsofWar said:
    Exactly, sir. I mean, Eason flew a long way to come play for Georgia. If there was any notion that any of the coaches didn't trust Eason and his abilities, Fromm would have been starter for the App State game. QB competition is going to be heated, but let's just pray that Eason gets better. Ramsey as a backup is very scary for me. He's thrown more INTs then TDs. Granted, he hasn't played much, but that ratio is way too high. Sad to say it, but Bobo recruited Ramsey over Watson and I'm not sure why.

Talk about make your skin crawl. I know there are recruiting misses every year but in hindsight that's gotta be one of the worst ever lol.

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2017

I agree with your projection of how fields factors in by I would suggest that if by the time Eason comes back healthy we are 4 or 5-0 and Fromm's QB play has something to do with at least a couple of those wins I'm not sure Eason gets the benefit of a doubt to just pull Fromm for game 6. I think this coaching staff will play the hot hand to win now. And the problem is if Fromm is the hot hand now that kinda by default makes him the hot hand of the future as well. Either way we will have a much better idea come Sunday morning

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Breaking News:

People post idiotic things on Facebook and Twitter. Sometimes they're not thinking it through, other times they're not capable of doing so...

• RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2017

@DawgsofWar Thank You

Couldnt agree more buddy. The post game hype around Fromm is understandable but the negativity towards OUR QB Eason is ridiculous ESPECIALLY after a freakin injury w.t.f.! Show some compassion people!

I really like how Chip explained it in his most recent article. In Summary the coaches chose Eason, FIRMLY. They chose Eason for good reasons. They want to win, SEC coaching jobs are always on the line, and they don't choose a QB over seniority, they choose them because they believe they are the best and will get us W's. I trust the coaches that see these players every F'n day over any one of these couch surfing haters.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/tricky-part-uga-comes-qb-jacob-eason-returns <<<Chip's article

Sure Fromm did great. And I support him 100% as he fills in for Eason and into the future of his career here. Fromm will be our QB for now and therefore he has my 100% support because I am GA fan. But I want our best QB on the field...and that is EASON.

Eason may of had a shaky start to the game but that is absolutely no way to judge a QB. I got an example for all of you: Rosen at UCLA-completely shut down in the First quarter and for the majority of that game, then out of nowhere he proves he is the golden boy and destroys Texas A&M.

I really wish Eason had the chance to show us his improvements from last year. And I cant wait to have him back. Til Then root for Fromm....he can do it....he is our QB now...and he's all we got.

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It was the first game. Give it a rest. Both QB's rated as 5 stars. Most programs should be so lucky.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As I said earlier or in one of the other Fields/Fromm/Eason threads we are getting ahead of ourselves. After the Tennessee game I may have an opinion on how I think it plays out but at this point I don't KNOW whether we are 5-0 or 2-3 nor whether Fromm is close to or better than Eason or we are calling for Ramsey to be the starter. I certainly hope that Fromm is successful and we are 5-0. If he does great that's good right. Whether you are a fan of any of the 3 do we wan't Kirby and UGA to fail just so we can be right? I hope not.