Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

College football alters overtime rules to shorten games

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited April 2021 in Article commenting
imageCollege football alters overtime rules to shorten games

ATHENS —College football overtime games will have a different look this season starting with the teams’ second possessions after the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved the changes this week. The teams will open the overtime period operating from one another’s 25-yard line, like before, but on the second

Read the full story here

Comments

• dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wait til Cory Booker and his cronies get finished. Players will be getting paid for even having to play beyond regulation time.

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

Why can't they quit screwing with college football? Always changing, or implementing something new. You get used to one set of rules, then they change them, and not necessarily for the better. It's ridiculous. I don't like being required to attempt a 2-point conversion on the second possession in OT. Didn't like it when it was required for the 3rd OT attempt. It takes away the suspense in OT, wondering what a team may or may not do. What if a team wants to go for the win? SMDH!

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Obviously, that's not going to happen every game, now is it? Just look at how many times you see teams killing clock at the end of regulation, to take it into OT. As long as there is OT, let them decide what they want to do. I am glad we do at least have a tie breaker. Never liked ties back in the old days.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I mean, I guess I understand forcing a 2 pt attempt at some point (like if you have two powerhouse offenses) and ANYTHING is better than the crap that the NFL has (had?) with their sudden death rule. But, I would say that you are going to favor one of the teams in a matchup with this rule which kinda defeats the purpose of a fair ending.

I mean, just look at the classic UGA RBU formula. You have a guy like Herschel who is going to get you first downs and get it into the end zone with a traditional set of downs, but forcing a do-or-die situation means that all the opposing team has to do is stop him to win the game.

You are changing the odds of the victor. A team that can prepare and successfully complete 2 point plays throughout the year will have a much higher percentage chance of winning in OT even if the opposing team has an amazing kicking game, balanced players, etc.

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"The scoreboard and lighting system operators will be subject to unsportsmanlike infractions, as the rule book was changed to include them among the personnel who “may not create any distraction that obstructs play.”"

That is complete BS. Could you imagine your team losing a critical game because the scoreboard operator screwed up?!

"**** is as **** does."