Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Debunking 3 freezing cold Georgia takes: Kirby Smart, Tom Crean

SystemSystem Posts: 10,421 admin
edited April 2021 in Article commenting
imageDebunking 3 freezing cold Georgia takes: Kirby Smart, Tom Crean

Georgia football is on the rise with Kirby Smart, but the Bulldogs' men's basketball program is considerably more challenged

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's not , Now or never" as much as it is, " If not, Why not?

No way BAMA loses a top 3 QB, 1st round RB, OL, DB, and Center and then multiple players following and be as strong this season.

Same for FLA, they lose Trask, and Pitts and a couple of more really nice offensive threats to the 1st 2 rounds of the draft. No way they are as good a team this season with those losses.

Clemson loses Lawrence and Entienne and a couple of more nice pieces.

Ohio St. loses Fields, their RB (I believe) and their nifty WR(I believe).

So, of course the best teams simply reload, but I think a discerning person would have to say at least on paper UGA's chances look pretty good this season.

Or, we can just kick that Natty can on down the road a little farther. Wait for a few more top recruiting classes and cross our fingers. At what point can we expect something more than what we've been getting?

Correct me if I'm wrong but even though they lost so many top players over at BAMA, I don't think their fan base is saying, "Don't get too excited about this season", or "don't expect too much."

No, they know they have a stable of top notch players as we do. And they know they have the GOAT coach. The true difference maker.

• Options
    Mike123456789Mike123456789 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Maybe Crean has a responsibility to teach his players how to shoot, etc.; in other words, I think your "argument" amounts to cherry picking certain statistics and positing claims without sufficient perspective.

My guess is that a big buyout amount is what keeps him in the seat.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

Why would you even consider a coach, (Mark Fox), that was fired from UGA, for the same reasons he was fired from his last coaching job at Cal??..Ridiculous!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, all that really matters is what the big donors think. I would certainly think that they love Smart. If they don't, they should.

Look, it's always "this is going to be the year" and frankly, EVERY major program's fans think that way too. There is only one champ every year however. I see no reason why we, fans, would give up after this year. Yes, JT will absolutely go Pro after this year, but last time I checked we have a superstar (Vandagriff) getting close with a solid backup (maybe starter) with Beck. And then, we have Gunner committed behind him.

Look, last year **** that JT didn't start sooner... but Bama was clearly better than they've ever been and NOBODY was going to beat them. We have solid players, but it's not like when we got back Chubb and Michel and said "okay, we HAVE to do it this year". I could see us scoring a huge WR transfer/recruit and really have the potential to score 50+ points per game and have next year be the obvious choice. G Day was a reminder that our O-line and WR core is far from flawless at this point.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

Buyout drops considerably after this season, so we may be seeing the last of Crean as UGA Coach after the 2021 season is complete. Suffer through 1 more dismal season, save UGA a few million in buyout, and cut Crean loose. He may have won at Indiana, but sadly, UGA doesn't even compare to the Indiana program in basketball. If you are an elite player, would you choose a tradition rich basketball program (but not recently) like Indiana? Or one that has made it to ONE Final 4 in school history (UGA)? Not a tough decision to make..all about Recruiting the best talent, and coaching them, and UGA has never been on par in that aspect with other schools. With the exception of a handful of stars over the years..Dominique, Vern Fleming, Antman, and maybe a couple more I can't remember, UGA just doesn't sign top players. Same story, same ending, since John Guthrie was HC for the UGA Basketball program back many years ago.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby Smart is HC at UGA for one reason... to win...and a natty...at some juncture. Mark Richt...had a record many SEC schools would envy...but over time....could not produce the winner...a natty. In fact he could not beat FL, say nothing of Alabama. My point is Josh Brooks is new and is seeing UGA come alive on may sports fronts....baseball, tennis, track & field...etc. and Kirby Smart and Georgia football among them....but he will not suffer another football bridesmaid I do not believe. Josh is overseeing personally millions upon millions of dollars being allocated to create a UGA football environment that will be the envy of the SEC and NCAA...why? To win it all at the national level. Goal....period. Not to be good as in the past...the best. That is what AD's do. Josh has a time line for Kirby, I am sure. Covid has made him alter it I am also sure. Kirby, in my estimation, has matured exponentially in his role as HC and now is on track to make his and Josh's dream of a natty a reality. Maybe not 2021...but very soon. The excitement is palpable. It will happen. It is not only in my bones but in my soul.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike, your comments made me wonder. At UGA, do athletes who enter the transfer portal get to continue using UGA's facilities and dining room?

I also wonder about the football guys who sit out bowl games - do they get to continue to use UGA weight and dining rooms while preparing for the NFL Combine?

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 380 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike, having a record 10 players possibly getting drafted is great, but they are projected as 2nd, 3rd+ rounders except 1. If our players were developed a little better, a few more of them should be 1st rounders like a Bama, Clemson, Ohio St. A good example is Tyson Campbell, he has all the tools of a 1st rounder, the #2 CB coming out of high school behind Bama commit Surtain. Surtain is going to be a top 10-15 pick bc he was developed to the max at Bama, we don’t do that. That’s great that next year we will beat that number, but makes you wonder in what rounds they will go in? Pickens and JT might be the only ones in the first round.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

I have no idea where #1 and #2 come from. I haven't heard anyone saying that Kirby is on the hot seat or that he must win this year, or else. If that's being said anywhere, it's coming from opponents, not within the UGA family.

Now with regard to #3, I'm not sure. Certainly, Crean was once a good coach and PERHAPS, he still is. But he's clearly not resonating here at UGA. And he's not the first basketball coach to have problems here. Our program is such dumpster fire, that I think it would take a coach with a truly big name to turn it around. I had personally wanted UGA to go after the Texas Tech coach, Chris Beard, because certainly we can pay more than Texas Tech and Lubbock, Texas is a wasteland. But his alma mater, Texas, came calling and that was that. But we need a name that all the kids KNOW can coach, not an up-and-comer but an established coach. We need to do what LSU just did with its women's team hiring Kim Mulkey away from Baylor. Simply by hiring her, LSU's women's team has automatically become a legitimate national title contender. Yes, hiring someone of that stature in the men's program will cost us some money, but if we want to get to and win on the big stage (and I'm not convinced that we do) I think that's what it will take. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Mike123456789 ,

A kid should learn how to shoot and other BASIC basketball skills before he gets to college. This should primarily be the job of the individual kid, his parents, Personal Trainers and supplemented by REC League, AAU, and High School coaches. College Coaches do not have the time to teach basic basketball skills. They have to implement their systems and then WIN. If Wheeler's Dad is such a basketball expert ( as I have previously read), then how is that Sahvir still can't shoot and still can't use his right hand? Fagan can't shoot and Camara mainly scores on put-backs because he can't shoot either. All three of these kids struggle in half court ball and eventually you're going to have to play half court ball because not every possession is going to be transition ball. Nic Claxton became a better shooter his second year in the program than he was in his first year and I doubt Crean had more to do with it than the work Claxton put in on his own time.

Derrick Rose and John Wall could not shoot in college but that was not Calipari's fault. If they had stayed beyond one year the staff could have possibly helped improve their skills. They got to the NBA and both became better shooters as pros than as college players. Draymond Green still can't shoot and his teammates are two of the greatest shooters in the history of the game. Surely they can help him. Skill development is more on the players than the Coaches especially at the college and pro level.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 256 ✭✭✭ Junior

Some good reads on the posts and the three points by Griffith.

Just one note about college basketball in general.

College basketball has become a glorified AAU league. Who knows, that may actually help UGA.

Frankly, you're seeing players jump from teams with great coaches too.

One thing is for sure, you got to have players that can shoot!

Baseball team plays the enemy tonight - GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m not a Crean hater, but I’ve never liked the “he didn’t forget how to coach” argument just because some coach had success many years ago.

Heck, Mike DuBose is available for some team if they want him. He did win the SEC in 1999, and he “didn’t forget how to coach”, right?

See what I mean?

People change over time. Energy. Innovation. Mental acuity. And yes, coaching ability.

I really don’t care what Crean did at Marquette or Indiana, quite frankly.

• Options
    rxerdawgrxerdawg Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

As far as coach Crean: The Covid restrictions this year have drastically the coaches ability to coach his players. A lot of "coaching" takes place off the court and outside the practice gym. It takes place where relationships can be formed and trust can be built. Kentucky is a prime example of Covid's impact on basketball coaching. Did Calipari forget how to coach ? I don't think so ! Calipari himself talked about how hard it is to build a team in this situation. So I say put the 2020 -2021 season behind us and look toward the future before passing judgement on Coach Crean. In fact, many times this year he called the play that would have resulted in a victory only to have a player make an unforced error or miss a layup and cost the team a victory. Just a few plays like that would have resulted in several more wins. The team, with its fast style of play, is certainly more entertaining to watch.

• Options
    DawgNoleDawgNole Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

"As for those who yearn for the 'glory years' of the former coach — a coach who failed to produce an NCAA tournament win or league title in nine years — Mark Fox might soon be available. Cal basketball went 8-19 last season and 3-17 in league play, last in the Pac-12."

Heh-heh. Good one, Mike.