Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

A new Georgia law paves way to pay college athletes

2»

Comments

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2021

SOME of the guys you are complaining about "getting paid" have actually worked TEN TIMES as many hours as the players you are referring to. There are always exceptions, but rising to the top of many of these professions is thankless, hard work. They have put in their time, their work. And they got their opportunity, their foot in the door with a DEGREE. They have EARNED their salary. You know, through hard work. Their skill sets are more "elite" than the players. The players have been working hard for 4 or 5 years, not 15, 20, or 30.

The value of a college degree far exceeds what it cost in tuition. It is an investment in the rest of their lives. You know this - the average salary for a person with a college degree is tens of thousands of dollars annually more than someone without that degree. Do the math with someone who works to retirement.

I don't know what strawmanning means...

But, without the "rest" of college football (and college sports), the top 9-10 athletic programs in the country don't make this money. They need the "smaller," less profitable schools to exist so they can be the "national champions."

And to answer your question - yes, there are some revenue issues that can be addressed. But the can of worms even the smallest change in this "distribution" would open is crazy. I wish I knew the answer. But, I fear the system that serves so many - only to be a disservice to so few - will collapse with any big changes...

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If someone provides a product that is purchased by others, they should be compensated for that with a wage. I understand it would change the current system but way too much money is moving around compared to when the amatuer system was implemented for college athletics. It's hard to justify that much money changing hands with none of it going to the players that actually provide the product.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2021

"Taking into account student loan interest and loss of income, the ultimate cost of a bachelor’s degree may exceed $400,000."

This is from educationdata.org.

"Men with bachelor's degrees earn approximately $900,000 more in median lifetime earnings than high school graduates. Women with bachelor's degrees earn $630,000 more."

This is from the social security administrations website.

And these are random stats that I pulled with little personal research, and stats can be manipulated. But they do serve as a good starting point for discussion.

So, for 4 years of work (at no more than 25 hours a week as mandated by the NCAA), athletes are getting a total value between $1.0mil and $1.4mil compared to what they would have made without going to college. And NONE of this accounts for the lessons and learning and growing up that LIFE teaches them during these years.

Now, we can discuss and try to decide just how much of the "money changing hands" should go to the student athlete. We can argue which student athletes should get that money. But, I don't think we can say that "none of it is going to the players that actually provide the product."

There is GREAT value for what they are getting in return. EDUCATION is not a wage, but it is an investment that PAYS.

P.S. How #@$$ed up is the gap in male and female wages in the second stat? Different discussion, different time...

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't find the scholarship argument that compelling. We should be working to have college and high skilled labor training more accessible for everyone regardless of athletics. Let's make the Hollywood elites and the plutocrats in big tech pay for it.

• Options
    how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry I think letting the players make money off their names is brilliant. Let's the school off the hook for any added expenses and let's the players make whatever the market allows. Sure some will rack up some serious coin and some not..but I would think most will profit some. This is letting players have the same rights everyone else does without a huge hit to the school.Anyway just my two cents, let's see how it plays out.