Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jamie Newman looking for a new NFL home

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited June 2021 in Article commenting
imageJamie Newman looking for a new NFL home

Jamie Newman was surprisingly cut by the NFL's Eagles in less than 45 days after joining the team.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another strange twist and turn in Newman's saga. I heard some "analyst" say that they (Eagles) just didn't see anything there in the mini-camp. I sort of find that hard to believe as far as talent goes. Someone(team) didn't do their homework? Doesn't pass the smell test to me. Something else may be going on with that young man.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

"Even though Newman never played in a game for UGA, surely Bulldog fans will be wishing Newman the best as he seeks to continue his football career."

Is this some kind of wink to the reader, or has whoever wrote this (no byline) really never checked a comments section in any of the many pieces written about Newman on this site?

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No more crap on this "Never a Dawg". He did this to himself and have no pity for him.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Goes to show why you should never buy in to heisman hype. I know JT is getting his fair share but I hope he understands it means nothing until you deliver heisman like results on the field.

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

I blame his handlers giving him bad suggestions for his future, but then again if he couldn't win the job in Philly maybe he wasn't what he wass hyped up to be., Hope he lands somewhere and does well and makes some money to sock away.

• Options
    Racin_JasonRacin_Jason Posts: 37 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well maybe this can be used as an example of what can happen when you opt out or sit out. You get rusty and don't get a chance to continue developing.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't understand the vitriol by some. People butt hurt about Jamie Newman info, actually taking the time to read the article and write and complain about it. Go figure. I feel sure whoever penned the article is chuckling somewhere.

• Options
    BullDawg88888BullDawg88888 Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

I disagree with people saying that you shouldn't report on Jamie. He was a major factor last year and his future is relevant because he chose to opt out. Bulldog fans do care because he supposedly opted out to train and avoid injury (I don't believe COVID was the real reason) and it hurt him in the long run. I think he got bad advice too and it would be a good lesson to share with college players.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From another site:

"In total, they handed out $480,000 in guaranteed money to this year’s crop of UDFAs, but quarterback Jamie Newman’s deal doesn’t include any signing bonus or guaranteed money. It’s a slight surprise that they didn’t have to guarantee any of his salary to bring him in as their third QB."

Clearly, Newman is/was just not an NFL caliber player and I'm sure he'll be playing arena football or whatever soon enough. I think there is a sufficient pattern (quit Georgia prior to Game #1 vs 4-star starter who then lost job to 3-star, went undrafted, signed a contract with NOTHING guaranteed and seemed to be a lock for position #3 and winds up being waived after what a couple of practices?) to assume he's a loser.

I wonder what it is. Attitude? Accuracy? Lack of intelligence? I have to assume that Smart's staff realized quickly that Newman "wasn't it" and pushed hard to get JT.

The guy spent a whole year prepping and avoiding injury. See ya.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He was pretty much the only guy to get ZERO dollars guaranteed. Giving him a chance was a no-brainer at least on paper. He must've really been a dud for them to prefer to have NO 3rd string vs keep him longer.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

At best he was the fourth or fifth best quarterback in the ACC before transferring to UGA. Once it was announced he would wear the red and black he became the best quarterback in the SEC never mind that he had not taken a snap. He was also considered to be a heisman front runner. I am unsure just what all this means. Was it only because he was going to Georgia and like many things got the benefit of the over hype that surrounds the team resulting in the media fell hard for it.

Some the reports coming out of camp indicated he was not all that great. He chose not to stay and fight for the starting job. This surely left Kirby in a bind. The next man up really did not perform either. As much as some like to take shots at the mailman, I am thankful he stayed the course and he came through when needed. Did he have limitations, of course he did. Still he was the best option. Games were won because of him. As many want to point to the Bama and UF games as his fault, I for one hold the defense as responsible or maybe more responsible for the final outcome. That defense when faced with teams that actually had some degree of quality offense came up short.

Now there is new quarterback and the hype around him is similar to that of Newnan. Time will tell if this is warranted. He will be challenged in the first game and the SECCG. Those are two games where his performance will have a significant impact on the outcome. The other games all that he has to do is not lose the game.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

No Play, No Pay, pretty simple Jamie!

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't think this kid opted out. I think he was told he was not going to be the starter and tried to save face by opting out. He didn't leave UGA in trouble at the QB spot, he probably quieted down the calls for the back-up QB after Mathis and Bennett were clearly not elite QBs.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well I am one who doesn't care whether or not Newman finds a team or not. And to call him a Bulldog is silly. I don't think Newman left UGA because of the virus. I think he was shocked when JT Daniels showed up in Athens, and he took one look and did not want to compete with JT for the starting job.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bulldawg 88888, I bet 95% of Dawg fans don't care about reading Newman stories. And where, pray tell was Newman a "major factor?" Probably at the free food dining room lol...