Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 things: Texas, Oklahoma move toward SEC a continuation of college football evolution

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited July 2021 in Article commenting
image3 things: Texas, Oklahoma move toward SEC a continuation of college football evolution

ATHENS — Texas and Oklahoma set the wheels in motion on their anticipated move to the SEC on Monday, notifying the Big 12 they will not renew their “grants of media rights” after their expiration in June of 2025, per multiple reports.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    KDawgpcHCKDawgpcHC Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

I'm not sure that most fans are for an expanded play-off set-up. At least that has 12 teams in it.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But when? This week, next month, next year?

The guess here is sooner than later.

Who knows. It could take a lot longhorn than you think. 😁

I still think this is bad for college football as a whole. The rich will only get richer, and the poor will only get poorer. This could lead to some schools having to shut down their athletic programs, and I'd hate to see that. I also would hate to see rivalry games being screwed with.

I hate to be that guy, but I just don't see this being good for the sport. Maybe I just need more time to let it all sink in. Things are changing so rapidly.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're not "that guy." Most reactions that I've encountered, including my own, are in clear opposition to this blatant cash grab.

• Options
    LDawgLDawg Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore

I just dont see why the SEC would want anything to do with diluting their product? More teams means more SEC teams that wont get into the playoffs, unless they expand, and if they expand then OK and Tex can stay where they're at and get into the playoffs anyways. This doesnt make sense except for a money grab in my book for OK and Tex.

SEC needs to not add until they lose teams, or kick them out. You start adding teams we have to realign the divisions as well.

Guaranteed if they realign then Alabama and Auburn come to the EAST with UGA! GUARANTEED!!

Do we really want that? NO!!

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A playoff platform would have to be 16 teams now. 12 teams mean that 4 schools play an extra playoff game. College football doesn't need a wild card round [ this isn't the NFL]. As it stands now there are 10 conferences in FBS [Division 1-A]. For a conference champion to qualify for the playoffs they would have to play minimum of 9 conference games. At-large schools with the best records would fill out the rest of the field of 16. The conferences could keep their championship games, if they wish to. To be bowl eligible schools would now have to win 7 games.

Using 2019 as an example the number of bowl eligible schools would have been [54]. Minus the 16-playoff qualifiers you have 38 schools to play 19 non-playoff bowl games. The 16 playoff teams would have been: The conference champs LSU, Clemson, Memphis, Ohio ST, Oklahoma, Florida Atlantic, Miami[Ohio], Boise ST, Oregon, Appalachian ST. The at-large schools would have been [selected by best record]. For the playoffs the conference champs would be seeded 1 to10 by wins/losses [w/same record tie breaker by poll ranking ]. The at-large schools would be seeded 11 to 16 by wins/losses [w/same record tie breaker by poll ranking].

Seeding: 1.LSU 2.Clemson 3.Ohio ST. 4.Oklahoma 5.Memphis 6.Boise ST. 7.Appalachian ST. 8.Oregon 9.Florida Atlantic 10.Miami[Ohio] 11.UGA 12.Baylor 13.Utah 14.Navy 15.Alabama 16.Florida. Pairings would be 1v16, 2v15, 3v14, 4v13, 5v12, 6v11, 7v10, 8v9.😎

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Greed killed the SEC and college football....

The last great sport in America is dead to me....thanks to the old white suits sitting in conference rooms collecting more money than God for their own self righteous well being...

The identity of what college football represents is being destroyed right before our eyes in a matter of a few days...its disgusting and outright wrong.

Goodbye tradition, goodbye loyalty and hello to you Mr Grinch who stole college football!