Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

All-SEC teams show key difference between Georgia, Alabama

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited July 2021 in Article commenting
imageAll-SEC teams show key difference between Georgia, Alabama

Georgia had just two players make Preseason First-Team All-SEC. The Bulldogs will need more players to make the same list at the end of the season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

It would be interesting to know how many preseason first-team selections LSU had compared to Alabama in 2019.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The difference between UGA and bama is perception. This is pre-season and has no other basis. The only way to change that perception is to beat bama on a regular basis which, of course, has to start this year.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One thing is for sure, the difference between Bama and the Dawgs can’t be measured by the opinions of a bunch of sports show talking heads and bloggers that show up for SEC media days.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pretty fair and objective article by CR. Also, highly indicative of why UGA (and most of college football) needs a charmed year (LSU '19) to break through against Bama. More years than not Bama has the #1 recruiting class. They just have more talent than every other team. That is not likely to change as long as Saban is there. I suspect that the rule changes (transfer portal, NIL) may hasten Nick into retirement. CFB will never be the same. He signed a 7(?) year contract for recruiting purposes. At 70, gotta wonder if he coaches more than 3 more years.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sports journalists making predictions that's all it is. The season hasn't even started yet.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod
  • Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beat Clemson and beat Bama, and then either Bama or Clemson again and we win the NC and the narrative changes. Perception is truly everything in the eye of public opinion.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@reddawg1 true, perception is in the eye of the public. It is normally based on some set of facts or outcomes. The idea that any team would be able to defeat one team twice in a single season much less the same two teams twice I would consider wishful thinking at the extreme. The most recent history of this happening, beating the same team twice in the same year, is that it does not happen. Examples would be UGA vs AU, ND vs Clemson, UA vs LSU. Probably the only way for that to actually happen would be for those teams to have multi injuries starting with their quarterbacks.

One thing for sure if it were to happen perceptions would be changed. The UGA 2021 team would probably be considered the best team of the century. I would surely consider them to be.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 322 ✭✭✭ Junior

Preseason teams are mostly speculative and postseason are mostly reactive. Those two teams had all of those players bc they ran roughshod through CFB. Great teams make lazy reporters (they're not all lazy, but most are) even lazier...so they end up placing the majority of that team's players on there.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IF there is a yeart that BAMA can be gotten I believe this is the year. I don't see Clemson being better without Lawrence and Entienne. I don't imagine a playoff without one of those two teams. Probably both. So, if we have to beat one of them twice, then this is the year to accomplish that.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@reddawg1 had to laugh at your comment about this is the year as it relates to beating Bama. The reason for this is I thought last year was going to be the year to beat them. The only real positive for Bama last year was having stability with their coordinators. There were lots of questions marks and unknowns starting with the quarterback. This year if anything I think Clemson looks a lot like the 2020 Bama team. Stability with their coordinators and an unknown quarterback coming off a disappointing season. While I think winning this game is more critical for Kirby, I think Dabo has something he wants to prove about his program.

It is not that far away before we have some answers about this season.