Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia injury update: JT Daniels’ ‘pitch count’ up, George Pickens improving, key defender returns

SystemSystem Posts: 7,419 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia injury update: JT Daniels’ ‘pitch count’ up, George Pickens improving, key defender returns

ATHENS — The Georgia football offense could be on the verge of becoming more explosive, based on Coach Kirby Smart’s injury update on Tuesday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With 11 days before the FU game to build up to game day levels, there is no need to double JTD's "pitch count" and distance now. It only takes 1 throw of overdoing it to be back to square one with this injury. As for GPickens, with the stretch schedule, there is no need to rush him back . He will not be needed until the SECCG on 12/4. That gives him 5 more weeks to heal and GRADUALLY build up his strength and conditioning . Would be great to get him back but he really isn't needed yet. Speed and CSmith back will help greatly down the stretch. Never saw anything reported on LB TMarshall's injury. He is out but for how long?

• Options
    SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good time to get everyone healthy for this 8 game stretch coming up!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Smart said there’s a 'long-term plan' there -- that the family is aware of and is kept private."

Any thoughts? Dec 4 SECCG as UGADad20 suggested. He should be close or at100% by then.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Here is hoping most of the walking wounded get back for the Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party, and there is no added names tacked on the list.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why do fans think that we don't "need" certain players in certain games? We need EVERY ABLE-BODIED PLAYER in every game we play. There is no saving a (healthy) player for later in the season. This isn't the pros where you can lose 4,5,6 games and still make the playoffs. And there are NO GUARANTEES for any game. If Pickens or Daniels or even Arik Gilbert (lol) is cleared to play next week against Florida, let's play them. They've had half a season to "rest." I wonder if during these pressers if Smart addresses all the injured players or just a few. I'd like updates on Rochester and Jacksaint and Blaylock. That actual injury list at the bottom is really only helpful regarding players who are definitely out.

• Options
    Jeff1973Jeff1973 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

With the number of games that JT Daniels has missed this year you have to wonder if he will come back for his senior year to build his resume'. If he does come back for his senior year it's possible we could lose Beck, Vandagriff or Stockton to the transfer portal. Just a thought...

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I doubt Pickens or anybody would be very effective in their first real game coming off knee surgery. It will likely take a few games to get up to speed. I hope he gets those real game reps a couple games before the SECCG.

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

Doesn't Stetson have an extra year of eligibility remaining due to COVID as well? If so, you'd have to presume he'd be back as well.

• Options

Pickens may return for the CGs then stay on for his senior year. Could be the big secret Smart is sharing with family?

If JT returns and possibly Bennett, yet again, Beck is gone. Vandagriff really likes UGA and is close to home. He will stay. Stockton...who knows? Doubt it....he is a showman and likes the limelight. I can still see a very strong QB Room intact.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We have a whole football team on the injury list...but we need this week to recover. but if Jt is ready coach....put him in, lets not play that game okay.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Gunner is not going anywhere IMO. That is 100% your opinion and based on nothing but you. Gunner is not going anywhere is based on mine and the person Gunner is. I do think that your opinion of what Gunner is about is way off and 100% incorrect. But again, that's just mine.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m pretty sure the medical and coaching staff know what they are doing…

• Options

Opinion, yes, opinion. Some agree, some disagree. No problem. That is DawgNation. Gunner is a very good young talent. Very humble boy. He may stay to see how things work out. I would love to have him as a major contributor to UGA QB Room. I am confident Vandagriff will be, You may be right about Gunner.....it is all opinion at this juncture.

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I must not understand the nature of lat injuries. JT got in close to twice as many throws in a single practice as he would in an actual game ?

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If JT is only at 40 to 45 yards, that doesn’t equate to anything close to 100% if he is an NFL talent. Stets dropped a 60 yard TD on a dime to McKonkey against Arky that traveled 54 yards in the air.

JT declaring for the draft after this year would be as ill advised as when Fromm declared EXCEPT for this being such a weak class for QBs. Beck would be the odd man out should JT declare. I would take that trade anytime!

• Options

Make no mistake. UGA has proven that they don't need JTD (many are saying SBIV is your starter going forward anyway) or GPickens to win any of the remaining scheduled games IF they suffer NO MORE significant injuries. FU will put up a fight for a half and then get buried. So there is no reason to rush the healing and conditioning process on Pickens. He is 7 months removed from reconstructive knee surgery! I can tell you from personal experience he should have and UGA will give him (a minimum of) 9 months (Dec 4th). Practice reps are just as valuable as game reps for a WR with less a risk for injury. I do not see Pickens coming back next year. Hence his desire/urgency to come back this year. Draft buzz is still 1st/2nd rd for Pickens even w/o playing with the tape he already has. Especially w/a strong combine.

• Options

With no game this week, overthrowing by JTD early this week is nonsensical. Maybe he is ready but you know a young competitive player is going to push it. JTD and SBIV coming back for another season is problematic. Dabo moved Sunshine into the starting line up probably before he was ready and kept him. CKS didn't move JFields into the starting line up before he was ready and lost him. For the long term (3 yrs), Dabo made the better decision. JTD's playing out the schedule probably gets him drafted in the 1st 3 rds IF he improves on his tape from last season. JTD seems very similar to Mac Jones as a player. Jones, w/a NC resume and throwing to 1st rd wrs, went 15th(?) in the 1st rd. With the QB room and blow out wins, UGA SHOULD be playing 2 QBs. Keep 2 guys happy and developing.

• Options

Really? Have you not seen the injury list? One thing I really like about CKS and UGA is that they can look every parent in the eye and tell them that their son will not be cleared to play until they are 100% ready and prepared. UGA puts student athletes well being above winning football games.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The QB room will be something to watch, with Daniels and Bennett both having another year of eligibility.

I remembered this from another DawgNation article about Stockton.

Does he plan to stick around for the long haul and compete at UGA? Is he really the anti-transfer portal QB?

“Georgia is where I am going and where I will graduate,” Stockton said on Saturday.

The Transfer Portal will transform many teams QB rooms. Everything has changed. What happens the next time Ohio St, Alabama, Clemson - finds themselves in the same situation as Ohio St. was when they found themselves with no Blue-chip QB on the roster? Come (play - Start) for us. We already have a Million dollar NIL deal set up. All you have to do is enter the transfer portal, and sign our NIL. You'll be an instant Millionaire and our starting QB.