Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart sounds on Georgia football quarterback situation after SEC championship game defeat

Comments

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    DawgnSCDawgnSC Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

IF you get a second chance against Bama, double #1 and spy Young with a backer. Make someone, anyone else beat you besides #1. Make them drive the field to score, not 50 yard bombs, that may help CKS!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I firmly believe that offense and defense are related. When the defense loses faith in the offense, the attention to detail fails. That is what we saw today.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There’s an old saying somewhere I am sure don’t get in a boat race with a heisman winner when your guy is a game manager

• Options
    DawgnSCDawgnSC Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

Everyone acts surprised that Kirby Smart screws up a quarterback situation. Isn’t that the same story year after year? Let’s be honest, I think I could have played QB against the regular season schedule and went undefeated. Kirby has to figure out how to coach in big games and stop being the bully on the playground that just got popped in the nose.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some more thoughts.

• The reason Bennett plays instead of JT is being Smart is because Bennett is the perfect player in practice. He's the guy that does everything you tell him to and then hounds you everyday wanting to know why he isn't playing and what he can do. Saban would look him in the eye and say "Kid, I love you and I love you attitude, but we can't go all the way with you. There are many Top 15 teams that would be lucky to have you. Good luck to you". Smart, instead, starts him because he's a nice guy just as Richt would.
    • It's been the same thing for many, many years. You cannot run without a star QB in there. They will force you to pass and you need to shrug and say "sure, we'll do that". Young threw an easy 55 yard TD pass that was double-covered. He could do that all day. JT could do that all day. You can't respond with short passes and bootlegging.
    • What irritates me the most is that Smart has said all along that if the "strategy" fit JT he'd play JT, but that never has shown. Bennett has played 60 mins in games where JT should've gotten half or more snaps. We got 3 TDs behind and still didn't try anything else.
    • Halftime is where you are supposed to come back a "different team". Bama had the momentum with a 7 pt lead and getting the ball back. We looked possibly worse in the 2nd half than in the first. No game changing there.
    • You can blame the D all you want, but going 3-12 on 3rd downs is a game loser. Don't forget that Bama gave us 85 free yards in penalties
    • We all know that despite having a little less than a month to prepare (and we'll know our opponent here in a couple of days), no real change will happen. I can only hope we play someone other than Bama and maybe we get lucky and that team beats them and we find a way to win against the other.
    • We REALLY needed to play Cincy as whomever plays them will probably win by 21+ pts. I can't see a possible scenario now to do that. Had we won and remained in 1st, they would've been likely 4th and that would've been an ideal matchup. All we can do is hope that MAYBE we can be matched up with Michigan.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I doubt anyone has the secondary to give Young as much time as he had for most of this game.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Remember this is the second time we watched this game. Are we going 3 for 3 Kirby? Kirby is the quarterback king. 5 star on the bench less talented guy in the game.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby sounds a lot like Tom Crean. He's too stubborn to know why his team lost.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2021

You must have watched something else during the second quarter. Georgia left 4 points on the table on the second drive and nearly gave up a pick 6 on the first. The defense knew they would have to be perfect to win. They gave up the long pass for a TD and that was all she wrote. Two consecutive offensive 3 and outs followed and the game was effectively over. Yes, the defense played their worst game, but they had to be completely demoralized knowing that the best QB didn’t even need to bring his helmet to the game.

• Options
    DoubleDawg7476DoubleDawg7476 Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

Kirby Smart is a great recruiter and does well on the defensive side. BUT: He has an awful history of not giving “other” QBs a chance. Stetson Bennett filled in fine when J.T. Daniels was injured. But the much much much more talented Daniels should have been playing meaningful time for the past month. Daniels has shown a great, supportive team approach while being benched for all the wrong reasons. Not to play him has been painful for fans. Did you notice that the commentators who praised him are former athletes at our rivals? YES, of course they want J.T. on the bench. If Bennett starts the next game, I will be playing on my laptop with the game on the background. I cannot stand to watch. Kirby Smart should be playing the best QB. Does any Bulldawg lover have any doubt who that is? SMH.