Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

‘Wake-up call’ applies to conservative Kirby Smart, 41-24 SEC Championship Game loss to Alabama

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. We’ve got a phenom TE in Bowers. He was the Only consistent positive I saw. And Even he can’t win the game all by himself.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well I’m gonna Try to get some sleep. Sad sleep. But my fellow Dawgs fans, let’s Try as best we can to hold on to Hope. Maybe Kirby and staff can look at the film and get things back on track. I know we’re all super disappointed but maybe a better day is around the corner. Sometimes a team plays better with a chip on their shoulder. Well our Dawgs should have a bolder on theirs !! I don’t know what the answers are, wish I did. STILL Love our Dawgs though. Always have and Always will. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

The reason is the secondary cannot cover man to man unlike Auburn

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2021

He has built a team that can beat every team in the SEC East but when it comes to the West it often times is a different story be it LSU or Alabama. All the blow out games this year did not help prepare UGA for the post season

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My observations:

1. Alabama's OL played their best game of the year. They even blocked our blitzes. That is why Young carved us up. This was supposed to be Alabama's Achilles heel. We certainly didn't exploit it.
    2. Our weak secondary was exposed because for the first time this year, our front seven didn't harass the QB. Young generally had all the time he needed.
    3. Alabama played a nickel defense most of the game. This confused Bennett and he repeatedly threw into coverage.
    4. We never established the running game.
    5. Our receivers (except for Bowers) just did not get open. Bennett, for the most part, had time to throw, but couldn't find an open receiver.

Once again, we were out-coached. Let's face it, Saban is a God. He can review tape, find your weaknesses and exploit them. Of course, the players have to play, but the coaches have to coach as well. And last night, we were out-coached and out-played.

Three plays that doomed us: 2 long passes for TD's and the pick 6 from Bennett. That's 21 points right there.

And now a little sour grapes. Was it just me or did Alabama's OL hold play after play and never get called for it?

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This was a defensive coaching loss, plain and simple. Very poor defensive game plan, inexplicably poor defensive schemes, too conservative overall, and no adjustments until the game was out of hand. Defensive players also failed to execute and missed assignments, but I think that was because they panicked after realizing the coaching staff was not putting them in schemes that gave them a chance to win.

On offense, the O-line often failed to protect Bennett (he was running for his life much of the game) and receivers failed to gain separation. Bowers had a good game overall, but inexplicably stopped his route on a key play, thereby causing the first interception. He also failed to bring in a TD catch that he normally makes.

Stetson failing to pick up the poaching safety, leading to a pick 6, was the final nail in the coffin, but the game was mostly over at that point. Playing JT Daniels would not have changed the outcome.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby made it easy for Nick by keeping the "Bumpkin" Award candidate in the game to throw 2 interceptions to willing Alabama defenders. Nick must have laughed all night. This humiliation is all on Kirby. Bet on anyone who plays Georgia in a bowl game. I won't be watching.

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bla bla bla Kirby. You guys picked a good time and perfect stage not to play your best game. Had all the support with dawg fans and you sent everyone home disappointed again. We knew Bama was a good team, we knew they had explosive receivers, and knew new the quarterback was dynamic, but what are you going to do to get us over the hump. I hope this wasn't a play in game for the college playoffs. If so, it is y'all fault if you don't get in. Remember Georgia doesn't carry the status Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State when it comes to looked at with favor because you haven't proved anything. I do hope Georgia get in so you as a coach have another opportunity.

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with DawgTattoo on his observations, except that Stetson couldn't get the ball to some open receivers. They stacked the box on us and he couldn't exploit it.

It was beginning to look like this year an elite defense could overcome today's modern explosive offenses. That wasn't the case. And Georgia isn't built for a shootout or a come-from-behind game with Stetson Bennett. I don't know if Daniels could have escaped the rush enough, maybe with his height and quick release he could have gotten the ball out in time. I would like to have found that out late in the third quarter when it was clear there was little chance of a comeback.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Really tired of Kirby and his affinity for short QBs with a feel good story. Time to put our best on the field. Nothing will change until he makes the change.

My fear from day one is that Kirby is a professional assistant coach/defensive coordinator. I thought he had made the transition to head coach this year. I may be wrong.

Saban realized that in today's game offense wins championships, not defenses. Kirby is bucking that realization and we are paying for his lack of insight.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All around fault for this loss starting with Kirby down to players; mainly coaches for not having the team ready for this game. Way too many Bama receivers running wide open. One can defend the QB play but that is a huge deficit. Too many of the completions were great catches and many yards were YAC. Not sure who the elite QB is for 2022 & beyond, but for the remainder of this season, SB isn’t that and the coaches owe it to the other players to find out who that is over the next few weeks. Yes the D was torched, but with no points on the board and too many unproductive offensive series, there was too much riding on stopping a very effective offensive game plan by Bama. Tip the cap to the master Saban; he remains an incredible head coach and game strategist.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

So what exactly has everyone so optimistic about JT? Was it his 135 yards passing and no TDs…..that’s ZERO scores against a mediocre Clemson team? Or maybe it was his 2 TDs (1 passing) and his 1 for 11 on third down conversions against a good, but not great Cincinnati team. Those are the only winning teams JT has faced….and he was unimpressive in those games. Stetson may not be the greatest of all time, but please don’t blame him for our loss last night. We were outplayed in every aspect….not just at QB. Team loss for sure, but the season is not over. Go Dawgs!!!