Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart must answer one question for the Georgia offense: Is JT Daniels even an option anymore?

Comments

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

The focus should be on Kirby. He is the constant over the years. He is in charge of the personnel selections and the schemes he builds around them. It's all on him. We win or lose because of Kirby. He must be held accountable for the outcome.

• Options
    T_DawgT_Dawg Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

I agree that if Stetson returns he will find his way into the starting role. He’s the more accomplished player knows the play book more better continuity is a weapon with his legs...I can almost here Kirby talking about it already

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So let me get it straight, this season your boy scored 3 points against the #19 team so you think he would miraculously score 800% more (ie 24) against the #1 team to tie SB’s performance? I think I understand, but give me time to process your rationale since it makes all the sense in the world….NOT!!! BTW, he’d need to score 1400% more to win…..the 800% was to tie and equal SB. Anything is possible and I do believe in miracles so it’s a possibility…..just not a logical one.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Perhaps I'm the only one postulating that JT might be in some kind of legal trouble and Kirby is not playing him for fear of having to vacate wins. Having him on the sidelines as an advisor would not cause a forfeiture. Definite conspiracy theory. But it would explain a lot.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Someone didn't read what Mike said above: "Daniels, the highest-rated returning passer in the nation from his first appearance at UGA forward, opened the season with a hidden injury, wearing a flak jacket against Clemson.

The Georgia starting QB had suffered an upper-body injury in the team’s final fall scrimmage in flukish fashion when an offensive player was inadvertently shoved into him.

The Bulldogs receiving corps was also severely limited. George Pickens and Dominick Blaylock were out, veteran Kearis Jackson was too injured to play receiver.

Jermaine Burton, the projected go-to receiver, missed two-thirds of the spring and fall practices with various injuries. Tight end Darnell Washington was out with a foot injury, and veteran tight end John FitzPatrick was limited in practice leading up to the Clemson showdown."

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

you sound like a Bama fan talking about their team but this is especially true in the close games.

these types comments let to Saban’s rant against the Bama fan base and a sense of entitlement.

hate to think the dawg fans are headed in that direction but it sure seems like it

• Options
    BuckdawgBuckdawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman
  • Options
    DawgnSCDawgnSC Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

I personally think the best way Kirby could have handled this situation was to put Daniels in, in the SECCG. If he failed it would shut everyone up, and if he done great, he would look like a genius. Now he’s screwed, with no mulligan. It aggravates me that he blames the defense in a 40 plus point game, but fails to admit he has to match TD for TD with the other team in a shootout. That vaunted D isn’t going to shut out elite offenses. Just own it Kirby, swallow your pride and try. If I’m not mistaken your mentor made an unpopular QB move in the second half of a game, and won a Natty! Anyone else tired of his quarterback decisions in Athens yet? I sure am! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DawgnSCDawgnSC Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

That Defense that had all summer to prepare for UGA. Kirby could have put 7 more up in the end if he don’t run the clock out. Name a great defense Stetson torched? You can’t because he didn’t play one. The only one he did, he threw it to the other team, and could have been another pick six the second play of the game. 41-24 twice! Going to take more than 24 to beat Bama and Satan

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 165 ✭✭✭ Junior

OK Kirby. You're my coach I hope for years to come but please make a change against elite teams. I like Bennett but he is not getting it done. NOW is the time for JT regardless of what you see in practice. I'm surprised he has stayed around this long. Waste of a possible Natty. I'd rather lose with JT than Stetson. I was there in 1980 but that was long ago. Two blown opportunities since and now I'm approaching 70. Just one more please.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This isn't the first year with Smart. He follows a pretty clear pattern when it comes to QBs and that's the fact that he focuses on Practice and potentially other emotional aspects in terms of selection. He refuses to change QBs unless there is an injury and clearly can't evaluate QB talent.

• 2021 - JT comes out with an injury and loses job to Bennett and doesn't start again
    • 2020 - Smart chooses Mathis as the opening game start. Coincidence that he is the "feel good choice"? He proceeds to look awful going 8/17 with just 55 yards. How did he win the job? JT cleared to play, but doesn't start until Bennett has an injury and then JT is the starter for the rest of the year
    • 2019 - Fromm is the defacto starter and even though Bennett had better stats for the 27 attempts, he doesn't get a chance to start
    • 2018 - Fromm remains starter. Fields gets 4 TDs on 39 passes, but is generally ignored.
    • 2017 - Eason gets injured, Fromm starts and doesn't lose the starter role till he graduates. Eason only gets 7 pass attempts all year.
    • 2016 - Eason starts with no practical competition

So, other than having to replace a clearly not-going-to-cut-it Mathis (again, how did he win the job?) you get a lifetime starting gig until you are injured. There is NO situation (barring an injury) where Bennett doesn't start.

• Options
    airconditioned_gypsyairconditioned_gypsy Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

We all love Setson's story, walk on etc... He has saved our Bacon several times over the last two seasons, starting with the Arkansas game last year. But in the last two games with Alabama 2020 and 2021 Bennett has thrown 5 TD and 5 Int and a pick six. While Jones and Young combined for 7 TD and 1 Int. We scored no 2nd half points last year and only seven this year. Crimson Tide on the other hand have scored 21 and 17 2nd half points the last two games. We have been severely outplayed at the QB position. Alabama has scored 41 each of the last two games. Can we realistically hold them to 28?? I doubt it. Even if we do we still lose because we are only scoring 21 in the last two games. If Kirby sticks with Bennett and we are fortunate to play them again and lose, it will be a huge setback for him and the program because it shows he is unwilling to change. If you lose with Daniels then so be it. But alas it appears as if Kirby is about to make a mistake by staying with Bennett and falsely believing that he can beat Alabama 21-17

• Options
    AlysiadawgAlysiadawg Posts: 63 ✭✭ Sophomore

You would think oc would have a say in who starts? I can’t believe I am saying this but Tebow is right. UGA will not win without an elite qb. Bennett is not an elite qb, a good one mind you, but not elite. Is jt an elite qb, I do not know. If jt is some kind of trouble that we do not know, put vandergroff in their. He has eligibility to spend. I have said time and time again even when we won, we will not win the nc with Bennett. Smart has the worst evaluation on qbs I have ever seen in a coach.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

I have a question and I’m not trying to be a smart a$$. Why didn’t you guys come totally unglued after the Clemson game when we only scored 3 offensive points and Bennett averaged around 4 yards per pass attempt? I’ve heard all the excuses like it was the first game, Clemson had all summer to prepare for us, Clemson has a great defense (eventhough they had lost several key starters on the D-line and secondary), we had receivers injured, etc? None of us had a clue that JT was possibly injured, but we all accepted one of the worst offensive games in recent UGA history. At the same time, several of you bash Bennett for playing light years better against the #1 team in the country. Also, MG paints a false picture of how great JT was last year. Everyone keeps referencing the Mississippi State game where we couldn’t run the ball and JT was the hero. Did y’all know that was a home game for our Dawgs against a lousy 3-7 MS team? Did you also know the other 2 regular season games for JT were against 5-5 and 2-8 teams? I’m not impressed and pretty confident Bennett would have beaten those teams and our run game would certainly have been better against MS. I’m seriously asking a fair question about our collective responses to the pitiful offensive performance in the Clemson game and why it was acceptable against the #19 team while Stetson’s performance against the #1 team is totally unacceptable to some of you guys.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not sure what goes on in Smart's head but at this point, unless something changes, he will never win a NC.